Inland Territory REVIEWS

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:17 pm

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:06 am

Sorry for not posting for a while but I have been hiking the Appalachian Trail..................... :oops: Timeless, might be the new phrase to replace SNAFU..

The reviewer who said this:
"Inland Territory is a self assured fantastic album from an artist on top form and comfortable with herself and her style. By just moving her styles and sounds around slightly, Vienna is able to keep everything fresh whilst not alienating her core fans by being stale. Without doubt its in my top three releases of 2009 and just continues to grow upon each listen. A treat for all."


I agree with this reviewer a 100%, but I don't understand why so many seem down on Alex for his vocals on Antebellum. I had suggested that Vienna do some duets with other singers and I am glad she did it on this album. I think they compliment each other rather well.
Last edited by Ang Mo on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

murlough23
Warm Stranger
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:04 am

Postby murlough23 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:45 am

Ang Mo wrote:I agree with this reviewer a 100%, but I don't understand why so many seem down on Alex for his vocals on Antebellum. I had suggeted that Vienna do some duets with other singers and I am glad she did it on this album. I think they compliment each other rather well.


I think the problem there is that we're so spoiled by Vienna's world-class vocals that it's apparently hard for some of us to handle a "normal" vocalist getting even a brief moment in the spotlight on one of her albums. Personally, I think it's no big deal and folks need to lighten up. The vocal fits the song, for those who are paying attention to the meaning of the song. It is resigned, weary, not at all energetic or even remotely interested. It's a voice of complacency to just let a failed relationship be what it is. But I can understand the initial confused reaction of, "Who's this guy with the plain voice and how dare he interrupt Vienna??!?!"

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:49 am

murlough23 wrote:
Ang Mo wrote:I agree with this reviewer a 100%, but I don't understand why so many seem down on Alex for his vocals on Antebellum. I had suggeted that Vienna do some duets with other singers and I am glad she did it on this album. I think they compliment each other rather well.


I think the problem there is that we're so spoiled by Vienna's world-class vocals that it's apparently hard for some of us to handle a "normal" vocalist getting even a brief moment in the spotlight on one of her albums. Personally, I think it's no big deal and folks need to lighten up. The vocal fits the song, for those who are paying attention to the meaning of the song. It is resigned, weary, not at all energetic or even remotely interested. It's a voice of complacency to just let a failed relationship be what it is. But I can understand the initial confused reaction of, "Who's this guy with the plain voice and how dare he interrupt Vienna??!?!"


It sounds like a duet written for a musical, which is an area Vienna has been exploring lately. In that sense, Alex's vocal should make dramatic sense rather than just being "good" (and so should Vienna's). Although I like the song, I'm less fascinated by it than most others on the list. My faves are elsewhere on the album. So it goes.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Contact:

Postby roofboy179 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:53 am

Fred wrote:It sounds like a duet written for a musical, which is an area Vienna has been exploring lately. In that sense, Alex's vocal should make dramatic sense rather than just being "good" (and so should Vienna's). Although I like the song, I'm less fascinated by it than most others on the list. My faves are elsewhere on the album. So it goes.


I agree with the musical thing. I've always pictured some sort of scene with two people singing Antebellum in a musical.

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:09 am

roofboy179 wrote:I agree with the musical thing. I've always pictured some sort of scene with two people singing Antebellum in a musical.
I think a reviewer had the same impression. Don't remember which one.

murlough23
Warm Stranger
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:04 am

Postby murlough23 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:14 am

roofboy179 wrote:I agree with the musical thing. I've always pictured some sort of scene with two people singing Antebellum in a musical.


True, though if it was really from a musical, then (a) it would probably be more of a duet all the way through the song rather than Alex just chiming in at the end, and (b) it would probably make me want to barf, as most musicals do. (It's a perfectly valid art form. Just not one that I happen to enjoy.)

Ang Mo
Tengster
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:17 pm

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Sorry for not posting for a while but I have been hiking the Appalachian Trail..................... Timeless, might be the new phrase to replace SNAFU..

The reviewer who said this:
Quote:
"Inland Territory is a self assured fantastic album from an artist on top form and comfortable with herself and her style. By just moving her styles and sounds around slightly, Vienna is able to keep everything fresh whilst not alienating her core fans by being stale. Without doubt its in my top three releases of 2009 and just continues to grow upon each listen. A treat for all."

I agree with this reviewer a 100%, but I don't understand why so many seem down on Alex for his vocals on Antebellum. I had suggeted that Vienna do some duets with other singers and I am glad she did it on this album. I think they compliment each other rather well.

and then murlough23 said:
I think the problem there is that we're so spoiled by Vienna's world-class vocals that it's apparently hard for some of us to handle a "normal" vocalist getting even a brief moment in the spotlight on one of her albums. Personally, I think it's no big deal and folks need to lighten up. The vocal fits the song, for those who are paying attention to the meaning of the song. It is resigned, weary, not at all energetic or even remotely interested. It's a voice of complacency to just let a failed relationship be what it is. But I can understand the initial confused reaction of, "Who's this guy with the plain voice and how dare he interrupt Vienna??!?!"


I still don't buy into that. Vienna and Alex had been touring for some time performing this song live before the album's release and I am sure he was doing his part in the song then. Please correct me if someone went to a concert and he did not sing that part of the song. I would think the complaints would have been aired then, maybe a video on YouTube protesting this, etc, because there are many live concert performances posted there, but I just can't find it. Now the album comes out and all of a sudden a "blasphemy" has been committed. I am just not sure how this all got to be an issue. That song needs a point, counterpoint to it. A view from both the woman and the man. I thought they did so successfully. Apparently, and only after the release of the album, there appears to be an issue with this.


If there were no protests then, how come there is now?
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

cmooreNC
Tengster
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: Hermitage, TN

Postby cmooreNC » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Ang Mo wrote:Sorry for not posting for a while but I have been hiking the Appalachian Trail.....................


In Argentina? :wink:
Chris

Ang Mo
Tengster
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:17 pm

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:09 am

In Argentina?


Apparently it is the hotspot for all the really righteous family value guy types...................
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

cmooreNC
Tengster
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: Hermitage, TN

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Ang Mo wrote:
In Argentina?


Apparently it is the hotspot for all the really righteous family value guy types...................


Ah, then I'm sure you felt right at home! :wink:
Chris

arcsol
Warm Stranger
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:43 am

Postby arcsol » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:50 am

so i've been listening to the other artists that were compared with vienna. some random notes:

- i honestly believe vienna did a better job at '1000 Oceans' than the original. i never did like tori's voice - too... whiny. sacrilege? maybe not.

- regina spektor is the pianist bjork methinks. she's versatile, yes. she's talented, yes. but for some reason she doesn't tickle my fancy. maybe she's way too versatile. i'll elaborate on that later on.

- sarah mclachlan? oh come on. you have to be kidding.

on Antebellum as a musical and/or duet - i actually wrote something akin to that; a 3-part short story not yet finished. it's in the sig. yay for fanfiction (of sorts).

on over/underproduction - i've always believed that one must hear the artist play his/her own songs live to see his/her strengths. hearing Antebellum with only a solo piano as accompaniment was poignant as ever. can other artists claim the same? maybe. or maybe not.

on songwriting - case in point: No Gringo. enough said.
A VT fan from the Philippines?

Do check out the 2014 Vienna Teng PHILIPPINES tour thread!

Drop a line and say hi! Post on the thread, leave a PM if you want, or send an email at marc dot a dot public at gmail dot com so we can make this happen!

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:55 pm

arcsol wrote:...regina spektor is the pianist bjork methinks. she's versatile, yes. she's talented, yes. but for some reason she doesn't tickle my fancy. maybe she's way too versatile...

I tend to file Regina with Nellie McKay and The Bird and The Bee. Very clever and entertaining, nothing profound ("...summer in the city, cleavage, cleavage, cleavage..."). Technically, very good voice, nothing terribly impressive about her pianism. I'd pay to see her live, but she's a very hot ticket, in NY, at least. Artistically, I see more depth in Bjork.
arcsol wrote:...sarah mclachlan? oh come on. you have to be kidding...

She had her day, but it seems to be over. And she did a tremendous service to the generation of female singer-songwriters before Vienna's by organizing Lilith Fair. (Which is supposed to be coming back in 2010; Vienna?) Musically, I've never seen a close parallel with Vienna, but the Gothic sultriness of the Gravity video has some Sarah about it, alright. Worth pointing out that the "Tori, Sarah, Vienna" business has roots in Vienna's own quotes and publicity materials.
arcsol wrote:...on over/underproduction - i've always believed that one must hear the artist play his/her own songs live to see his/her strengths. hearing Antebellum with only a solo piano as accompaniment was poignant as ever...

In an interview Vienna once answered the old live vs. studio question saying that she preferred the studio because you could get exactly the result you wanted. But I agree, as with all great performers, her live performances can easily transcend the recorded version. On the other hand, I've heard a couple of live numbers with Alex or in the trio where the lack of strings was a loss. Bottom line, I think it may depend on the song to some extent.

Ang Mo
Tengster
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:17 pm

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:47 am

Ang Mo wrote:
Quote:
In Argentina?
Apparently it is the hotspot for all the really righteous family value guy types...................
Ah, then I'm sure you felt right at home!
_________________
Chris


Yes, with the rest of the promise keepers. I tried to emulate them but the Argentinian woman I hit on said, No Gringo :lol: Drats! Foiled again! If only I was a politician who held public office..........
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?


Return to “The Cafe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests