prufrock
Howdy, Stranger!

Inland Territory REVIEWS

Postby prufrock » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:22 am

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Re: Inland Territory REVIEWS

Postby Walking Stranger » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:03 am

I like this expression "her thoughtful songwriting and her exquisite, soulful soprano."
Thanks prufrock for sharing this musical review !
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:09 am

I'm still looking up "arpeggio." :?
"From Bottom Line to Highline"

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Surely you jest, Chris!

This is a much more positive review than the one in Paste Magazine (no link, no apology), for sure. On the other hand, Paste also panned another of my faves last fall (Dar Williams' Promised Land, arguably her best album in 10 years), so to heck with them.

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Either the Paste reviewer wasn't paying all that much attention to the CD when he got it, or someone on the editor's desk messed it up - to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a song on IT named "White Lie"...

Can't expect every review to be 100% positive, I guess.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:32 pm

shawn wrote:Either the Paste reviewer wasn't paying all that much attention to the CD when he got it, or someone on the editor's desk messed it up - to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a song on IT named "White Lie"...

Can't expect every review to be 100% positive, I guess.

I actually found myself unable to take that particular review seriously after reading the first sentence.

With her nimble piano arpeggios and Lilith Fair balladry, Vienna Teng casts a backward glance during Inland Territory, a retro-minded release anchored in the legacy of Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan and other mainstays of the mid-‘90s female-songwriter boom.

Folkfan
Warm Stranger

paste review

Postby Folkfan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:40 am

"Either the Paste reviewer wasn't paying all that much attention to the CD when he got it, or someone on the editor's desk messed it up - to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a song on IT named "White Lie"..."

There is always the, "letter to the editor", which I'll stay away from writing, since I'd probably start the reply with...Dear Jerk....but that song title correction and your humble opinion may help this misguided person to see the light...ummm.....the white light.....

I'm going to work on a review for Amazon, since it's asking me about my product satisfaction........

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:01 am

tanthalas wrote:I actually found myself unable to take that particular review seriously after reading the first sentence.

With her nimble piano arpeggios and Lilith Fair balladry, Vienna Teng casts a backward glance during Inland Territory, a retro-minded release anchored in the legacy of Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan and other mainstays of the mid-‘90s female-songwriter boom.

I don't really get the characterization. But it might actually be fair, I dunno. I am too close to the album to think of it that way for now.

Y'see, this is an album I like to listen to...and those mid-90s albums are what people like to listen to, myself included. I saw Sarah McLachlan with 20,000 people last year and she played a few new songs. She asked the audience if they wanted to hear another new one, her next word after she asked was a good-humored "No?" And she brought the house down with those old songs. Tori Amos played SXSW a few weeks ago, and when you look through a discussion forum people hate hearing her old stuff again but yet, look through Twitter and people that actually went want to hear stuff from Little Earthquakes (the same songs others don't want to hear). Different genre, but I saw Green Day last night, and half the people in their forum are crazy that they played old stuff from the 90s, and the other half are bewildered because the new stuff was played for the first time and they want to hear it.

So you could say I'm one of the nostalgic people the reviewer is referring to (and you'd be right). But how is it a negative thing if Inland Territory is comparable to albums that sold millions of copies and still affect people now? I don't get it. I don't really understand what is meant for a "modern" sound, last I checked it was overproduced Protools enhanced junk (which I actually don't mind so much either sometimes, but critics are always complaining about that). There's no examples given and I haven't heard the albums that the reviewer has liked and said sound fresh, so I have no idea.

What I do know is that this is an album that sounds the way I've hoped Vienna would be able to pull off, and she and Alex have done that. I hope people that like "retro" 90s stuff read the Paste review and check it out, rather than being put off by a low number.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:35 am

Perhaps I just took it the wrong way. It seemed to me that the writer was more interested in writing clever analogies than actually reviewing the album, which was a bit offputting. But read again in another light, I can see how the review can be looked at in a fairly positive light.

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:11 pm

After a while, the Tori/Sarah comparisons really do become old. It's almost as if any female who plays piano is going to be lumped together with them, at least in the minds of some.

Reading that review reminds me of how I prepared for the college radio show I used to do. I'd have a stack of new CDs and no time to listen to all of them the whole way through, so I'd pop one in, listen to just a few seconds at the beginning of each track, and if none of them grabbed my attention, out it would go and on to the "discard" pile. I can't help but think that this reviewer got assigned IT to review, thought to himself "oh no, not that piano chick again", and made liberal use of the next-track button to quickly skip through it. Sounds like he may have spent more than a few seconds on White Light, but not enough to even get the song's title right.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:28 pm

shawn wrote:After a while, the Tori/Sarah comparisons really do become old. It's almost as if any female who plays piano is going to be lumped together with them, at least in the minds of some.

To lump all piano-playing female singer-songwriters together would be to include not only Vienna, Tori, and Sarah, but also Regina Spektor, Neko Case, and Rachael Yamagata, to name but three. If there is a real stylistic commonality among them I fail to see it. (The only commonality is that they are all very much worth listening to. Neko's new album is a killer, IMHO.)

mes70
Cool Stranger

Inland Territory Review from Canadian Press

Postby mes70 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:36 pm

argos
Cool Stranger

Postby argos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Ouch.

"Unoriginal sound plagues Vienna Teng's fourth album"
http://www.baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?a ... tory=57962

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:13 pm

argos wrote:Ouch.

"Unoriginal sound plagues Vienna Teng's fourth album"
http://www.baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?a ... tory=57962

Ouch indeed. :?

Folkfan
Warm Stranger

The Power of One

Postby Folkfan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:01 am

http://www.baylor.edu
........From the same state that gave you the Waco Massacre, Fire Ants and George W. Bush......and you are going to believe this review???

All it takes is YOUR voice (and maybe a blog or two) to post your own reviews.....so tell people your thoughts about Vienna's latest efforts.......I know of the 800+ in the Somerville audience, that gave Vienna two standing ovations, probably didn't share the Baylor author's views of Inland Territory.

Return to “The Cafe”