Now 0!!! days and counting....(YAY! THE DAY HAS ARRIVED!!!)

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:12 pm

The CDs I ordered from Rounder online finally arrived today. Apparently they now ship from Indianapolis (!), and in the case of my order they didn't ship until Wednesday. At least I'll know for next time...

Just listened through it for the first time. Stunning. A lot of layers to this one. Might post more when I have some time and maybe some more listens under my belt.

murlough23
Warm Stranger

Postby murlough23 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:21 pm

mangoted wrote:Well yeah.. but some of us, well more like me, have not heard those said artists. Shocking, but it is the truth. :lol:

I could see how there might be more of a learning curve there if you're not familiar with those artists... I like Radiohead and some of their ilk, but they can be difficult at times. Whatever influence Vienna has taken from these artists, I don't think she's abandoned the melodic and classical underpinnings that make her music so distinctive. These other influences are just flavorings. Listening to the artists Vienna recommends and has learned from isn't a prerequisite to enjoying her work.

mangoted
Cool Stranger

Postby mangoted » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:02 pm

I know that there isn't a prereq. towards enjoying and loving Vienna's work. I was just saying that it was weird going from Waking Hour to Inland Territory. It is pretty directly different from Dreaming Through the Noise.

murlough23
Warm Stranger

Postby murlough23 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:11 am

mangoted wrote:I know that there isn't a prereq. towards enjoying and loving Vienna's work. I was just saying that it was weird going from Waking Hour to Inland Territory. It is pretty directly different from Dreaming Through the Noise.

Definitely. As was DTTN from Warm Strangers. I thought DTTN was way too mellow at first; then it became my favorite of Vienna's albums and now I think IL is too all over the map. But they're all A-grade albums, so I'm really splitting hairs by complaining about much of anything at all.

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:41 am

To me, all of Vienna's albums sound like...Vienna. There were a few surprises the first time I heard all of the songs from Inland Territory, but they weren't so out there that it didn't seem right. It is different from the albums before, but I find I'm listening to the new one more than I ever did the old ones. For the old ones, I often preferred some of the live versions, so I would listen to those. For this album, they are different, but I like them both. I hope I'm making sense.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:51 am

I purchased my copy of Inland Territory and have listened to all the songs one time. It is hard to make any judgement call at the moment. I will continue to listen for a week, soak it in, then post a review. What was kind of thrilling when I bought it was I went to the Vienna Teng section in the music, right behind Tesla, and there were only copies of Waking Hour and Warm Strangers. I asked the clerk if the new Vienna Teng album was available and she pulled it off the shelf they keep behind the register. It is quite visible and hopefully many people will give it a spin.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

mangoted
Cool Stranger

Postby mangoted » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:02 pm

I love amazon.com. I pre-ordered the CD from them, and this morning they emailed me saying that I did not get the acoustic version of White Light, so they told me to download it free of cost!

huyana
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby huyana » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:07 am

Has anyone who pre-ordered from this site and lives in Canada receive it yet?

huyana
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby huyana » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:50 am

huyana wrote:Has anyone who pre-ordered from this site and lives in Canada receive it yet?

Scratch that, just got it today! My sister also pre-ordered it for me as a surprise ahaha what shall I do? A CD for the car and one for home?

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:04 am

huyana wrote:
huyana wrote:Has anyone who pre-ordered from this site and lives in Canada receive it yet?

Scratch that, just got it today! My sister also pre-ordered it for me as a surprise ahaha what shall I do? A CD for the car and one for home?

Or give it away to convert the next fan! Welcome, Huyana. :)

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Shaii
Cool Stranger

Postby Shaii » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:17 am

huyana wrote:

If it's anywhere near Vancouver, I'll buy it! :D (But I guess I'm not that lucky...)

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:10 pm

huyana wrote:

Give it to someone who doesn't know of Vienna yet? =D

mangoted
Cool Stranger

Postby mangoted » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:38 pm

I can't wait till I get the chance to see Vienna live..must..see...last snowfall live....
:shock:

murlough23
Warm Stranger

Postby murlough23 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:47 pm

mangoted wrote:I can't wait till I get the chance to see Vienna live..must..see...last snowfall live....

I think that one's only gonna work live if she has a significant number of players in her ad hoc live band who can sing BGV's. I can't see how she'd pull it off solo.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:04 pm

murlough23 wrote:
mangoted wrote:I can't wait till I get the chance to see Vienna live..must..see...last snowfall live....

I think that one's only gonna work live if she has a significant number of players in her ad hoc live band who can sing BGV's. I can't see how she'd pull it off solo.

She's got a looper that has prerecorded harmonies of her. It's amazing live!

Return to “The Cafe”