Got Vienna a spin...

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Got Vienna a spin...

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 am

...today on WXPN in Philadelphia. I received an email saying today is "Member Appreciation Day," and that they would play nothing but requests all day. I called the request line at noon, and around 2 pm, while I was busy at work, I received a flurry of texts and emails saying that Harbor was just on, and it had to have been from me. :wink:
"From Bottom Line to Highline"

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Good job! Too bad that the only way they'll play Vienna is by request. You'd think they would play her more often, and some of the newer songs as well.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Digital wrote:Good job! Too bad that the only way they'll play Vienna is by request. You'd think they would play her more often, and some of the newer songs as well.

Something tells me that when Inland Territory comes out, if it gets high enough on any chart, that it'll get the attention that Vienna deserves so much.

So lets all do as Rahau said and..

rahau wrote:Here's something I suggested for DTTN that - I think - is still a good idea:

Chances are, most of us are going to buy more than one copy of IT. I plan to give away at least a couple of copies to friends and family members. If all of us were to purchase at least one copy on Amazon the day of its American release, we could send it to the top of the sales rank.

When WS came out in '05, it climbed to #2 on Amazon. If we can send IT to #1, the powers-that-be in the music industry would really sit up and take notice.

Sound like a plan to you?

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:59 am

roofboy179 wrote:Something tells me that when Inland Territory comes out, if it gets high enough on any chart, that it'll get the attention that Vienna deserves so much.

That attention can be a double-edged sword. Yes, Vienna will get all she deserves, but she'll also become less approachable. I appreciate the fact that if any of us has a question about a song or anything else, you can ask Vienna and she'll answer. That she occasionally visits the forum to have a chat. That after the show she comes out and signs autographs. If she gets big - and I mean stadium big - all that will come to an end.

Don't get me wrong. I wish Vienna every success in the world, but I hope it comes on her terms and allows her to remain grounded. I'd hate for that to change. I guess it all depends on what you consider success.

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:47 am

Dig, I know what you mean. But Vienna is such a mature, grounded person. Nothing will ever change that.

Still, there is always the chance that moving to the next level might make it harder for her to interact with her fans on a one-to-one level. Just my two cents: So be it.

In the play "Inherit The Wind," the character of Henry Drummond (based on Clarence Darrow) tells the jury, "Progress is never a bargain." Quite true. Anytime we move forward, we give up something valuable and dear. I'm sure Paul McCartney still looks back fondly on the days when he hung out with the fans in Hamburg after a show.

Since becoming a fan, I've had the chance to chat with Vienna about four or five times. Of course it's always a privilege to talk to her, and a total thrill when she (I still can't quite believe this) recognizes me from my forum posts.

But I've always known there will come the day when she is so successful, she will no longer be able to afford the same easy interaction with her fans. I'm quite happy to give that up in exchange for her reaching that next level of success. Heck, I've had the chance to talk with Vienna several times. That's privilege enough for anyone.

BTW - Thanks, Roof, for repeating my suggestion.

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:00 pm

rahau wrote:Dig, I know what you mean. But Vienna is such a mature, grounded person. Nothing will ever change that.

I agree, but fame and fortune have a way of changing people. I sure hope we're right.

Funny enough, I asked Vienna "How does it feel to be famous?" while I was in NYC for the Vivaldi shows. She replied, "I'll let you know when it happens." Which is very true. Right now, she's anonymous enough that she can be dancing to the music at a concert, and no one really notices her (which happened at the Deadbeat Darling show). I wouldn't have noticed her there if she hadn't ended up standing in front of me.

In the end, it all depends on what you define as success. I've met many musicians, including some that have been to the "top" who are much happier when all that pressure and the expectations are taken away. Then they can be themselves, make the music they want, and enjoy life. Vienna can still pop out, grab a bite to eat, hang out, and then go home. No way Bono can do that without an army of goons to hold off the paparazzi. Definitely not something I would wish on Vienna, unless she's into that sort of thing.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:55 pm

There are all levels of success. Although it's always possible that Vienna could break through to rockstar status (you know, playing the Meadowlands with Sting opening for her) based on IT, it is also possible (and more likely) that she could rise to the point of getting regular airplay on indie-oriented radio stations like WXPN (or - ahem - WFUV), reliably filling medium-sized venues, and getting well-paying gigs as often as she wants, and still not be so big that she loses touch with her fan base or her tickets become unobtainable. Lots of folkies and pop singer-songwriters end up at that level, and, according to interviews I've read with one of my other faves who fits that description, it's not a bad life. Vienna's popularity is just a small notch below that level now, and one album that strikes the fancy of the radio programmers could take care of that. Becoming a rockstar is harder, and usually (not always) takes loudness and a lack of subtlety. Also, times have changed. Unless you are Coldplay or U2, it's almost impossible to make a living on CD sales, they say, so live performance is the future of music. Thank the MP3 for that.

Fred
Tengster

Re: Got Vienna a spin...

Postby Fred » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:13 am

NJ Fan Chris wrote:...today on WXPN in Philadelphia. I received an email saying today is "Member Appreciation Day," and that they would play nothing but requests all day. I called the request line at noon, and around 2 pm, while I was busy at work, I received a flurry of texts and emails saying that Harbor was just on, and it had to have been from me. :wink:

By the way, Chris, well done! I recall your comments at the Mamaroneck show about trying to get Vienna played on WFUV (as I also have; I guess in NJ you can be "bicoastal" with regard to NY and Phila.) I seem to recall that WXPN might have carried Whatever You Want in its regular playlist for a while after the DTTN release; no?

Folkfan
Warm Stranger

Postby Folkfan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 pm

[quote], it is also possible (and more likely) that she could rise to the point of getting regular airplay on indie-oriented radio stations like WXPN (or - ahem - WFUV), reliably filling medium-sized venues, and getting well-paying gigs as often as she wants, and still not be so big that she loses touch with her fan base[quote]

I agree with Fred, that Vienna is too grounded to "go diva" on us. What is wrong with her gaining more fame, filling larger venues, and even making enough money to, "be comfortable", without needing to force out that next big CD, or tour until she grows tired of it?
With more exposure, perhaps a greater number people would choose to listen to Vienna's intelligent lyrics and beautiful voice, over those synthetic pop stars that corporate america pushes on us, for our consumption.
With the ease of streaming on-line radio, I listen to XPN and FUV from Connecticut. Perhaps if forum members all email these type of stations, VT may receive more airtime? Does anyone know of some other good stations that promote Vienna's music? I"m not sure of the corporate(Clear Channel, etc) connections these stations have, but The Point, in Montpelier, VT and WXRV, in Boston have had Vienna on their playlists.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Folkfan wrote:I agree with Fred, that Vienna is too grounded to "go diva" on us. What is wrong with her gaining more fame, filling larger venues, and even making enough money to, "be comfortable", without needing to force out that next big CD, or tour until she grows tired of it?

Of course it's not a matter of V "going diva" on us as much as things becoming outside of her control. If, for example, she fills a stadium full of people for a concert, it becomes highly unrealistic that she'll be able to do meet-and-greets after the show (or, even if she did, she wouldn't be able to stay long enough to see everyone who wanted to see her).

I don't really know what my own opinion on this is. I think I'll just steal a page from Bebop and say, "Whatever happens, happens." :)

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01 pm

tanthalas wrote:Of course it's not a matter of V "going diva" on us as much as things becoming outside of her control. If, for example, she fills a stadium full of people for a concert, it becomes highly unrealistic that she'll be able to do meet-and-greets after the show (or, even if she did, she wouldn't be able to stay long enough to see everyone who wanted to see her).

Exactly. Well said. Case in point: I met Sarah McLachlan once in Austin with a friend. She walked out of her hotel when her car arrived. I said (not yelled) "Sarah," and she came on over. We chatted a short bit, got an autograph, and just then we heard a frantic yelled "Sarah" followed by the sound of many small, rabid feet running down the street. Her bodyguard said, "We have to go now." Sarah, to us, "I have to go now." Us: "Ok. Thanks." And we stood there as she got in her car just in time to see a pack of pre-pubescent girls come running up and mob the car. We waved goodbye, and that was that. I'm sure she would have stayed with us longer if she had the choice.

I couldn't see Vienna hanging around after a show to sign 10,000 autographs....her handlers would never allow it.

NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:00 am

Well, regardless of Vienna's level of success or how "accessible" she becomes in the future, there's still something that can be said of the community of fans in places such as this and at her shows. I remember seeing the Indigo Girls back in the mid-90s in a large outdoor ampitheater and everyone in my section seemed to know each other in a time before every performer had a web site and message board -- it was clear they all met before, probably at shows for a number of years prior. I think we have the beginnings of something like that here. And if Vienna can sign 10,000 autographs a night, all the better!

I just moved to western NJ, where the local college station has a AAA format like WFUV and which leans a bit toward folk, with professional DJs. It's a small target, but one that I will contact early and often come April.
"From Bottom Line to Highline"

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:02 am

Folkfan wrote:I agree with Fred, that Vienna is too grounded to "go diva" on us.

Actually I think somebody else said that above, but, from what little insight I have into Vienna's personality (you've been here a lot longer than me) I can believe it. All of her interviews etc. make her seem to be a very down-to-earth person.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:13 am

NJ Fan Chris wrote:I just moved to western NJ, where the local college station has a AAA format like WFUV and which leans a bit toward folk, with professional DJs. It's a small target, but one that I will contact early and often come April.

I used to work in western NJ, so I'm curious what station. Presumably not WPRB Princeton, which I used to listen to a bit. At the time (mid-late 80's), it played very hardcore college-radio indie rock, with occasional interludes of multicultural stuff including a bagpipe music show. You might have better luck getting play at your new station than at one of the bigger stations, who knows?

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:32 am

Folkfan wrote:Does anyone know of some other good stations that promote Vienna's music?

Somewhere on this site is a list of stations that had Whatever You Want in regular airplay after the DTTN release. IIRC, WXPN was there, as well as 2 very different MA stations that I sometimes stream: WUMB, a staunch folk public station, and WMVY, a commercial "modern rock" AAA station. Pretty sure also some big west coast stations like KFOG (SF) and KEXP (Seattle; not so sure of that one). Lots of little stations from rural areas across the country that I never heard of, quite possibly college stations.

Return to “The Cafe”