Scrapbook Neglect?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:25 pm

tanthalas wrote:The title of her scrapbook post is a Fight Club reference. And a damn good one at that. :)

Yes, I get it after looking at the definition and meaning of "single-serving friends" in the internet and rapidly read a reference to this movie I have not watched yet.
Thanks Tanthalas to confirm it come from that movie.
Have a nice day over there as from where I wrote it's cloudy and it's going to be stormy tomorrow Sunday, day of the European election and of Mother's Day too.
Take care,
WS
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:43 pm

I think it is these very "mini encouters" with various people that give her ideas for her songs. Interesting to think that the idea of traveling to one's job actually aids in the creation of the product for one's job. My traveling merely aids in the anxiety and dread of going to the job. I feel terribly restless as of late, ill at ease you might say, the economy we are experiencing is quite frightening. I wonder if the company I work for survives or not. Interesting article in the New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/23/business/economy/23charts.html?_r=1&hp
So much for the republican idea that unions and worker's rights cause the economy to be damaged. It actually appears the other way.
Hopefully the immortal words of Bob Dylan, "The Times they are a changing" rings true and our current leaders help correct the problems incurred by the leaders of the past.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:43 pm

Ang Mo wrote:Hopefully the immortal words of Bob Dylan, "The Times they are a changing" rings true and our current leaders help correct the problems incurred by the leaders of the past.

I hope that he will not give this kind of farewell speech some years later ... :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrGKwkmxAU
... for what I've heard ... :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJyrrgUvFI
... or what I've read ... :
http://viennateng.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20179#20179

Tomorrow is the European elections and I wonder what will be the percentage of absentees...
To extrapolate from the political wink :
My mum told me a story : some political guy from somewhere comes to a village and invite villagers to have a garden party in his home with food to eat and stuffs to drink, and once the elections are gone, some people come to his house and what do they find ? A sign in front of the house saying this :
"Beware of the dog !"
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:05 am

A friend of mine loved the scrapbook entry. By way of explanation:

Once a month, I attend a writer's critique group. We meet at the Rockridge Public Library in Oakland, read each other's work, and offer suggestions. They all offer positive reinforcement - something every writer needs - but also give helpful guidance. I'm indebted to all of them, but one in particular.

Anne is in her eighties, has grey hair, gets around with the help of either a cane or a walker, and is sharper than a damn machete. I adore her. She always, ALWAYS finds the problems with my writing, but does so in a positive, helpful manner.

The other night, I e-mailed Vienna's scrapbook post to Anne and said, "Have you noticed how some singer-songwriters write beautiful lyrics, but lack the ability to write even serviceable prose? Vienna is NOT one of them." Within a few moments, Anne wrote back:

Anne wrote:Oh, Bob, how stunning. And what a tribute under the circumstances of the recent tragedy. I can see why you appreciate her ability with language, because it's true, not all verbal people are articulate in all ways. Thanks again. Beauty is always welcome in whatever form.

Great story about Anne: A few months ago, we had a first-time visitor to our critique group. His submission wasn't bad, but it needed some work. After we made our comments, he turned up his nose, tilted his head back, and informed us, "I can't accept any of your criticisms. I can't compromise my artistic vision. I have to remain true to myself."

Anne leveled him with her Retired English Teacher gaze and said, "Then ... why are you here?"

I fought the urge to giggle. We haven't seen him since.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:17 am

I need to meet, Anne! (And you, Bob!) :)

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:04 am

rahau wrote:Anne leveled him with her Retired English Teacher gaze and said, "Then ... why are you here?"

Good question !
Yes, WHY are WE here ? ...

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:49 am

More rave reviews from my friend Anne:

Last night, I sent along Vienna's classic scrapbook entry about Marillion's "Your Gone." Earlier today, Anne wrote back:

Anne wrote:What Vienna Teng writes goes to the marrow of the ineffable, which is a contradiction in terms, I guess. It is amazing how she can ally herself with the essential qualities and meaning of words and music. Oh, yes, student of music indeed, and so much more. People who study writing could well pay attention to the way she penetrates the music, how she expresses the effect it has on her, how she grabs hold. So remarkable. Thank you for passing this on. And so will I.

High praise indeed from an eagle-eyed editor, tough critic, and lover of great writing. I hope Vienna will meet Anne someday. The two of them would become instant friends.

Return to “The Cafe”