Australian Bushfires

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Samantha
Cool Stranger

Australian Bushfires

Postby Samantha » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:11 am

Not to purposely interrupt the celebratory mood of Vienna's new album release or anything, but I just can't stop thinking about the bushfires that have wiped out entire communities and homes, not to mention the lives of at least 200 people. The firestorm itself, when started, becomes impossible to stop (especially when temperatures were already at 46 degrees Celsius/114 Fahrenheit and winds swept the fires on), and I know that the element of natural disaster really leaves no concession for its victims. But what really angers me is the fact that a bunch of idiotic pyromaniac arsonists went out there and lit those fires--and then relit them once they were finally put on. I mean, seriously, what's the whole point? I don't condone terrorism or anything, but at least most terrorists act under religious beliefs or another type of reason whose importance defines who they are and controls their actions. The arsonists aren't making any political statements nor making a desperate attempt to show their beliefs; they simply like to watch things burn.

What bothers me so much about this is that it's not like a cyclone or a hurricane or an earthquake. This incident didn't have to happen at all, and now that it has, absolutely nothing has been achieved by the idiots who are responsible.

If anyone has their own opinion, please share. I really need to see all of this from another perspective.

Elmira
Warm Stranger

Postby Elmira » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:38 am

There may be a "don't build your houses here" sentiment running, but I suspect the culprits are pranksters. Are the fires natural or is it mostly arson? I don't know enough about the nature of bush fires or Australia's topography to voice a valid opinion.

But...I have lived in California when there were wild fires in my region. I've never seen one up close. It's definately not as pretty right on the edge.
I believe in airplanes.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Re: Australian Bushfires

Postby Walking Stranger » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:16 pm

Samantha wrote:[...] But what really angers me is the fact that a bunch of idiotic pyromaniac arsonists went out there and lit those fires--and then relit them once they were finally put on. I mean, seriously, what's the whole point? I don't condone terrorism or anything, but at least most terrorists act under religious beliefs or another type of reason whose importance defines who they are and controls their actions. The arsonists aren't making any political statements nor making a desperate attempt to show their beliefs; they simply like to watch things burn.

What bothers me so much about this is that it's not like a cyclone or a hurricane or an earthquake. This incident didn't have to happen at all, and now that it has, absolutely nothing has been achieved by the idiots who are responsible.

If anyone has their own opinion, please share. I really need to see all of this from another perspective.

Hi Samantha,
I'm still wondering and I don't know the whole truth.
But maybe those who did / have done / will do that are just not such "a bunch of idiotic pyromaniac arsonists".
Maybe it is just my imagination but I could imagine that a bunch of golden boys watching digits scrolling down and scrolling up in front of their eyes are just happy about what this kind of events creates in the Stock Exchange .... a kind of life/wood/land/charity/anything-like for sale ....sigh...destroy / construct... and make some money in between during the process...sigh
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Return to “The Cafe”