Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Scot
Tengster

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Postby Scot » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:58 pm

Whether you're in the US or not, I suspect we all have things to be
thankful for- like good music and friends, for one (or two, I guess).

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:25 am

Thanks Scot !
I've never experienced a Thangsgiving diner myself so : Enjoy your meal !
I think that most of the religions had calendar times to share food.
When talking about religions, please don't think I'm doing marketing here but I would like to talk about what I know at my level.
In France, in small villages, some people from "Secours Catholique" come to your home and give you food if you are in need. Other organisations like Les Restos du Coeur also do it but I don't know if they would come to your home, like.
In Buddhist temples that are Theravada oriented (I don't know about the practice of the other orientations of Buddhism like the Tibetan Buddhism), there are always people (mainly women) in kitchen cooking or heating the food they prepared for sharing, and men are asked to help putting meals inside rooms to the monks first with a prayer to the sacrified beings for the meal, and later on to the people who are in the room - and all that, during occasions like for either Buddhist events, for funerals, for becoming a apprentice monk for a temporary time, or for adult people who would like to be ordered for a while and pray to reckon and thank their parent(s)/relatives who were dead and who would like to encourage by their prayers their soul to be in peace and in a restful place...
That was my little "In the Mood for Food" glimpse ...
Any other traditions about food sharing ?
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:02 am

Thanksgiving is not really based on a religious event but came about to celebrate the harvest. The Plymouth Colony had nearly perished the year before and with the help of the Native Americans who gave them seed and taught them how to plant those seeds they ended up with a successful crop of food and celebrated with the Native Americans. The tradition of having Turkey came about by this event.

We always break with tradition in our family and we decided to celebrate Thanksgiving by having Lobster. It was very good. Also there were no leftovers, less of a mess to clean up afterwards, and I was still able to get in that nap afterwards.

The Football games stunk today. I hate one sided contests and the two earlier today were just horrible.

Other than that, a very profitable Thanksgiving. Hope everybody else had a nice one too.

P.S. Vienna left a nice Happy Thanksgiving Twitter message and below that she left some pictures and a article of what she has been up to in Argentina. Looks like another habitat for humanity project. Vienna looking like a construction vixen with her yellow hard hat, tank top, and shorts, and tool belt. Not sure if she was wearing a tool belt. I threw that in as maybe an additional topping to the whole mental and spiritual aspect of the picture.................... :wink:

Mr Cheng is down in Antarctica, maybe eating frozen turkey, or seal, or maybe even a penguin..........
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:52 am

[quote="Ang Mo"]Thanksgiving is not really based on a religious event but came about to celebrate the harvest. The Plymouth Colony had nearly perished the year before and with the help of the Native Americans who gave them seed and taught them how to plant those seeds they ended up with a successful crop of food and celebrated with the Native Americans. The tradition of having Turkey came about by this event.

Hi Ang Mo,
After my post, I discussed with my best friend who told me exactly the same thing as you've just did : not a religious one but a kind of celebration after one year past.
The very first colonies did not survived and the colony that still survived first from the travel from Europe for religious reasons or political reasons and second that survived thanks to the Natives Americans tribes sharing knowledge about agricultural technics etc. They do that celebration to thank God in the sense of Universal God - BTW and not thanking the Indigenous Peoples - convincing it was their destiny like "the" chosen people to get this land. That is an interpretation of most of the historians.
And the Native Americans tribes are well thanked back :.< ...
I was a kind of touristic student during English and Americans Civilizations lessons - a reason why I did not get my undergraduate studies and change for something else feeling that the French way of teaching in University is not my cup of tea... I was not in my place... LOL.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Return to “The Cafe”