Election Day

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:38 pm

I am thankful the elections are over. I am pleased with most of the results. The right wingers are doing more fighting among themselves now. If the Republicans stay on the conservative theme than their options will be Palin, Huckabee, or Romney and that is a guaranteed loss for them in the next election as well. Sometimes the right wingers can be so much more entertaining though. In Idaho they have this crazy, deranged, right winger who changed his name to "Pro-Life" I have to post a clip of the senatorial debates here. This guy is the nut in the red colored velvet suit or whatever it is. His tagline was "Life starts where sperm meets egg"
This is not staged, it is real footage. It is worth watching for the entertainment value of this guy's responses to the questions put to him.
http://www.ktvb.com/video/?z=y&nvid=295392

I am dying to incorporate this in a movie script. What is cool is you don't even have to make it up.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:45 am

It is pretty amazing what kind of far out stuff you don't have to make up any more! Kinda scary, too, though! :)

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:32 am

It is scary and sad also Scot. The most recent state news item was deeply disturbing. The right wing hate machine is worked up at the results of the election. Check this link for a shock to the system.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/crime/stories/ ... 746ad.html

Pretty disgusting the whole way round considering that these poor misguided children have obviously been taught by their parents or perhaps their own school teachers to say these things. I find it so sad that Mormons are teaching their children this. They love to go on and on about how persecuted they are, talking about how at one time there was an extermination order issued by the Governor of Missouri in the eighteen hundreds on Mormons and now they turn around and teach their children to chant a horrible slogan like that. It is in direct violation of what they claim to believe. I will quote the 12 and 13th Articles of Faith of the LDS Church.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

I got my source at
http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,106-1-2-1,00.html

No where in those articles could I find where you are suppose to teach your children to make chants to assassinate the President elect of the United States because he is a Democrat or African American. Hopefully these parents will learn to study the tenents of their religion a little more and spend a little less time embracing the Republican Right Wing Hate Culture of Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and the rest of the gang.

Their was an interesting show on PBS about the life of Lee Atwater who was the founding father of the "Republican Dirty Tricks Society". That was my defintion so I put it in quotes. Interesting that in his confession of guilt he even apologizes to Willy Horton and all the people who he harmed, slandered, etc. before he died. Atwater admitted what he did was wrong. Hopefully Karl Rove and the other disciples of Atwater will watch and learn from this. I kind of doubt it though.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:11 am

I totally agree, Chairman, but it's not the first time, nor will it be the last,
unfortunately, that a religion which claims to believe in love and generosity instead practices bigotry and death.

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:27 pm

- about elections :

"Love All the People" - Bill Hicks
http://www.loveallthepeople.co.uk/mp3/l ... _elite.mp3
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Hicks

I have this feeling man, 'cause you know, it's just a handful of people who run everything, you know … that's true, it's provable. It's not … I'm not a fucking conspiracy nut, it's provable. A handful, a very small elite, run and own these corporations, which include the mainstream media. I have this feeling that whœver is elected president, like Clinton was, no matter what you promise on the campaign trail - blah, blah, blah – when you win, you go into this smoke-filled room with the twelve industrialist capitalist scum-fucks who got you in there. And you're in this smoky room, and this little film screen comes down … and a big guy with a cigar gœs, "Roll the film." And it's a shot of the Kennedy assassination from an angle you've never seen before … that looks suspiciously like it's from the grassy knoll. And then the screen gœs up and the lights come up, and they go to the new president, "Any questions?" "Er, just what my agenda is." "First we bomb Baghdad." "You got it …"
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:12 pm

- about love :

"The Big Question" - Tori Amos - BBC1, Sunday the 27th October 1996.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njsqQ2VG ... ed&search=

" [...] Things like "Love your neighbor as yourself". Hey, that's good stuff ! And I think there's truth in all the major religions. I think there's truth in the bar room. I think there's truth in the whole house. I think you can find a lot of wisdom if you're open to it. But you might get a lot of garbage too. But you're going to find if you're open. Because everybody has a unique experience. They probably do have a truth to give you.
[...] The point is that I take what I believe is truth in developing my own being. And why will I need the institution ? Don't think they don't know that ! [...] "

- I would like just to relate two personal stories :
1/
More than twenty years ago, (in a Lao refugee camp in Thailand) my mum was asked by a Catholic high missionary if she did not mind my sister abroad being converted into another religion.
My mum (who did not get the chance to go to school more than 2 years due to illness during childhood ) answered something like :
- Each religion teaches good ways
- But human beings decide on their own and choose what path to walk in and if a person is bad it is not because of religion but of his/her own self.

2/
This discussion reminds me about a question I asked to my previous colleague, and it was something like :
- how does it come that you are so intelligent and that as a child you were able to read before others, did your mom teach you before going to school ?
His answer was something like :
- There is one simple thing : LOVE ! A child grows with the love of his/her mother !
And he cried.
I did not know I could make a man cry ...
I felt something like truth creates some vibration in our body, which awakens us about the reality of this world....

OK I talked too much, I'm going to sleep now.
Good night from France !
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Return to “The Cafe”