Election Day

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:19 pm

Samantha wrote:Congratulations on your new president!

Prop 8 is a real shame though...

XD Thank you for taking an interest in us Americans. XD

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:22 pm

Yes, even though the outcome of Prop 8 could be devastating to many couples in California [are they still gonna be able to stay married if they already are?], Vienna's latest Twitter update pretty much sums the results of the Presidential Election up...

"Vienna...is in a pub in Brooklyn celebrating an amazing moment in history. Game on, America. Let's do this together!"

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:15 pm

Prop 8 passing wouldn't be retroactive, so at least the marriages of the past 8 years are still safe.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:48 pm

tanthalas wrote:Prop 8 passing wouldn't be retroactive, so at least the marriages of the past 8 years are still safe.

This means all my gay friends whom have been wed [i have many older friends, surprisingly] in California wouldnt be forced to seperate? -phew- That makes it a little better.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:27 am

This is not a day for downers, but Prop8 was only one of three state constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage to pass yesterday. The others were in Florida and Arizona. America has a long way to go on this issue. See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/05/gay-marriage-bans-succeed_n_141286.html

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:57 am

Fred wrote:This is not a day for downers, but Prop8 was only one of three state constitutional amendments banning same-sex marriage to pass yesterday. The others were in Florida and Arizona. America has a long way to go on this issue. See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/05/gay-marriage-bans-succeed_n_141286.html

Americans should learn to tolerate same-sex couples more :I

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:27 am

I am so thankful that Obama defeated McCain. Our country has an opportunity now to correct the insanity of the last eight years. George Bush will go down in history as the absolute worst President of all time. The damage he and his followers have caused is extensive, but after hearing Barack Obama's speech last night I know we have elected someone who is a true leader, who has a defined plan to correct the problems within this country, and who will ignite the American people to participate in the resurrection of the United States of America.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:40 am

Ang Mo wrote:I am so thankful that Obama defeated McCain. Our country has an opportunity now to correct the insanity of the last eight years. George Bush will go down in history as the absolute worst President of all time. The damage he and his followers have caused is extensive, but after hearing Barack Obama's speech last night I know we have elected someone who is a true leader, who has a defined plan to correct the problems within this country, and who will ignite the American people to participate in the resurrection of the United States of America.

See, the only thing i can think of to say to that is:

"AMEN, CHARIMAN MO!"

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:53 am

In case ya'll didn't see this one (I certainly didn't til now):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

That said, I think the challenges facing Obama are much bigger than whatever plans he may have made so far, and that a lot of people are going to be disappointed when he has to put aside the ideals and promises he made on the campaign trail. But this is a necessary part of the process, and I'm hopeful that Obama will do the right thing or find experts who can teach him how to do the right thing. So we really need to look at this without pie-in-the-sky expectations and start thinking pragmatically about what we're going to have to face, as a country, in the years to come.

kittyl
Cool Stranger

Postby kittyl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:59 am

tis the major stink in this election...

blue blue blue

Samantha
Cool Stranger

Postby Samantha » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:53 pm

kittyl wrote:

tis the major stink in this election...

blue blue blue

On the bright side, the Connecticut's constitution regarding same-sex marriage won't be changed for the next 20 years or so. :)

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:44 am

I needed a few days to collect my thoughts, and to simply calm down. Like a lot of others, I started sobbing when the networks called the election for Obama, and called it with such stunning suddenness. I fully expected a bitterly contested election, much like 2000. Fortunately, with the apparent exceptions of Georgia and Alaska, most of the state election results seem fairly honest. But we won't always be able to count on such a theft-proof majority. It's time to start pressuring our elected officials to get serious about nationwide election reform. For starters, we need to get rid of the touch-screen systems once and for all. They are notoriously untrustworthy and too easily compromised. To her credit, California Secretary of State Debra Bowen tossed out the touch-screen systems several years ago, for good reason. The nation would be wise to follow her example.

Of course the defeat of Prop 8 was a major disappointment to progressives. Not surprisingly, the search is on for someone to blame. African-Americans are coming in for their share, as about 70% of them voted in favor of 8. But as this article by Raymond Leon Roker points out, it's both unfair and inaccurate to blame African-Americans or any other ethnic group for Prop 8's victory. The anti-8 campaign was complacent, disorganized, and underfunded. Always a bad combination. In some ways, the anti-8 campaign reminded me of Equal Rights Amendment supporters back in the seventies, who believed that being right was all you needed to win. Sorry folks, but politics doesn't work that way.

As Obama has said, the next few years are going to be difficult. The right-wing hate machine will do everything they can to derail him. Bush left this country in such a mess, it will be almost impossible to fix the damage. The current budget deficit is one trillion dollars, and the national debt is ten trillion. We will have to support Obama even while the country remains in a quagmire. And we must be ready to battle the right-wing hate machine when they try to blame him for the problems Bush and his congressional supporters created.

Yet there remain so many reasons to rejoice. Obama won a solid victory, a thorough repudiation of the last eight years. Almost without exception, other nations are as thrilled with his victory as any of us. He has more support from the nations of the world than any other incoming president in history, simply by virtue of NOT being George W. Bush. Ironically, that's the sort of "political capital" Bush could only dream of.

One last thought. Forty years ago, Robert F. Kennedy made a prediction - the US would have a black President by the year 2000. He wasn't far off, and I'm sorry he didn't live to see this day. As Time Magazine said, the question is no longer - "If not now, when?" The question is - "Who is next?"

I'll make my own prediction. Someday soon, the American President will be an Asian-American woman. Not that, y'know, I have a candidate in mind ... :wink:

Steve
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:57 pm

rahau wrote:For starters, we need to get rid of the touch-screen systems once and for all. They are notoriously untrustworthy and too easily compromised.

Or they could go like we did, with a touch-screen that prints an internal "receipt" that you look at through a window in the machine before you press "Vote", and that remains as a hard-copy in case of recount questions. I liked it much better than any of the "fill in the ovals" systems we've had, when you didn't know whether the scanners read your choices correctly.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Steve wrote:
rahau wrote:For starters, we need to get rid of the touch-screen systems once and for all. They are notoriously untrustworthy and too easily compromised.

Or they could go like we did, with a touch-screen that prints an internal "receipt" that you look at through a window in the machine before you press "Vote", and that remains as a hard-copy in case of recount questions. I liked it much better than any of the "fill in the ovals" systems we've had, when you didn't know whether the scanners read your choices correctly.

Around here you have to complete a broken arrow that looks liek this:
<---- -----

You complete the line. The arrow points to the candidate, and its read by a scantron machine.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:13 pm

I agree Rahau,

Every 4 years lately, people get excited about election reform, then the election
happens and people forget again. I co not trust that we have any honest
elections any more in the US.

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Return to “The Cafe”