Recent Interview

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

micro
Hot Stranger

Recent Interview

Postby micro » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:20 am

In wanderings around the web we have stumbled across many interviews with Vienna, both written articles and podcasts. As with many things on the internet hey are somewhat ephemeral as often we cannot find them again later on. And they don't seem to be publicized much here on the forum.

Anyway, don't exactly know how we ended up on this particular website, but found an interview with Vienna and noticed this quote:
“I’m hoping to go back to school and study sustainable development and environmentally friendly solutions,” said Vienna. After the promotional cycle for the upcoming album, she is interested in possibly returning to her alma mater in California for business school and focusing on social entrepreneurship.
Although Stanford has a leading social entrepreneurship program; in the interests of possibly keeping Vienna on the East Coast, we would like to point out that UPenn Wharton, Columbia, NYU Stern, Cornell Johnson, and Harvard also offer programs in social entrepreneurship. Perhaps one of those programs will fit. :P

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:38 am

I love that picture they used on that interview, seriously. :D She's sooo pretty.

And if she does go back to school, good luck to her! (If she wants to study business, she should come here and study at DePaul's business school, hehe.)
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:26 am

Loved that interview and really got cracked up by the pressure from Vienna's grandmother to get her married off, but not just to anybody,but somebody rich, smart and goal oriented.... :lol:

I think Vienna needs to go on the Rachel Maddow show. Rachel Maddow is super smart, (She went to Stanford also and is a Rhodes Scholar) and has the best political show on television. I think Vienna and her would hit it off. How to work a musician into a political show is kind of tricky but Vienna is into the politics herself so it might be neat to talk about politics then maybe get a song in too. I love that idea......it's mine of course...so I am somewhat biased.

Just an idea I kicked around while suffering from the usual imbalance of the mind while working out at the gym and watching the Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC.......................
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

arcsol
Warm Stranger

Postby arcsol » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:48 am

uploading her acoustic mp3s to the web by night.

being a (relatively) new fan, i wonder if the abovementioned acoustic mp3s still exists somewhere up there in the great cloud... all i managed to find were those from the old site. >__<'
A VT fan from the Philippines?

Do check out the 2014 Vienna Teng PHILIPPINES tour thread!

Drop a line and say hi! Post on the thread, leave a PM if you want, or send an email at marc dot a dot public at gmail dot com so we can make this happen!

Fred
Tengster

Re: Recent Interview

Postby Fred » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:28 am

micro wrote:In wanderings around the web we have stumbled across many interviews with Vienna, both written articles and podcasts. As with many things on the internet hey are somewhat ephemeral as often we cannot find them again later on. And they don't seem to be publicized much here on the forum.

Anyway, don't exactly know how we ended up on this particular website, but found an interview with Vienna and noticed this quote:
“I’m hoping to go back to school and study sustainable development and environmentally friendly solutions,” said Vienna. After the promotional cycle for the upcoming album, she is interested in possibly returning to her alma mater in California for business school and focusing on social entrepreneurship.
Although Stanford has a leading social entrepreneurship program; in the interests of possibly keeping Vienna on the East Coast, we would like to point out that UPenn Wharton, Columbia, NYU Stern, Cornell Johnson, and Harvard also offer programs in social entrepreneurship. Perhaps one of those programs will fit. :P

Well, having just discovered Vienna's music in the last couple of months, and not even having had a chance to see her in concert once yet (January!), I would not mind seeing her spend a little more time in music before moving on to her next career, just from my own selfish perspective. There are a lot of MBAs, and not very many great singer/songwriters.

On the other hand, it must be very demanding and insecure. I remember reading an interview with Dar Williams (who has made a successful career without ever having had a breakthrough chart hit) who talked about the importance of having senior peers who gave examples of how to make it in the indie music business--she mentioned Suzanne Vega. Anyway, whether it is art or sustainable development, if you can follow your dream and make a living at it, there's nothing better.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:41 am

Random thought:

In light of this recent interview, "Hope on Fire" seems to have proven oddly prophetic for Vienna...especially since I think she once said that she's never actually felt the sentiments in the song, the point-of-view of an activist wanting to change the world for the better or something like that.

Reileen van Kaile

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:14 am

Agree with all. Great interview. Great photo. To quote the late Phil Hartmann, she looks "Verrrrry sssSSasssyyy!" :wink:

And I agree that she would be a great guest on the Rachel Maddow show, one of the two best shows on TV right now (the other being Keith Olbermann's "Countdown"). In fact, I'll go one better: I think she would be a great guest host for Rachel. To complete the coolness cycle, imagine Chairman Mo guest-hosting "Countdown." The top-of-the-hour repartee between the two of them would be pretty memorable ... :)

On the subject of Rachel - about a month ago, some guy on Huffington Post wrote, "Okay, someone needs to say this. I'm a straight guy, and I think Rachel Maddow is HOT!" :)

My goodness, Vienna is thinking about going back to college to study sustainability. I'll say it again - she sure makes it easy to be a fan. She has to be the most UN-self-centered artist of our time.

if(!u){i=null;}
Cool Stranger

Postby if(!u){i=null;} » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:22 am

Reileen wrote:I love that picture they used on that interview, seriously. :D She's sooo pretty.

Agreed! - Proof that a fine wine gets better with age. I fear that one day she'll get tired of being Vienna and try out some of her other lives. I'm probably more selfish than fearful. She's really good at being Vienna and I want more.

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:22 am

Check out the story again; they changed the photo for another one where she's posed exactly the same, but she's now smiling ("Ok, that was great, V; now smile!"). There's now also a credit to Shang Chen. Plus, there's a new photo where she means business!
Klaorman

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Klaorman wrote:Check out the story again; they changed the photo for another one where she's posed exactly the same, but she's now smiling

But...but...she was smiling! She was doing her trademark Mona Lisa smile! XD

Reileen van Kaile

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:51 pm

Reileen wrote:
Klaorman wrote:Check out the story again; they changed the photo for another one where she's posed exactly the same, but she's now smiling

But...but...she was smiling! She was doing her trademark Mona Lisa smile! XD

Hmmmm...when I viewed the story on 10/16 in the morning, Vienna was not smiling, and the second photo wasn't there. It was basically a combo of the two current photos, with the doorway pose of the first merged with the non-smile of the second.
Klaorman

if(!u){i=null;}
Cool Stranger

Postby if(!u){i=null;} » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Klaorman wrote:Hmmmm...when I viewed the story on 10/16 in the morning, Vienna was not smiling, and the second photo wasn't there. It was basically a combo of the two current photos, with the doorway pose of the first merged with the non-smile of the second.

Humm...someone's been smoking a green caravan

micro
Hot Stranger

Postby micro » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:42 am

lest Klaorman thinks he's nuts, this was the "original" pic in the article:
It has since been changed to the two pics as mentioned by Klaroman

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:07 am

Love those pictures, all of them. The only mistake was not changing the number above her head to something like 88 or 888............................for luck..........is that correct?

Thanks for the props Rahau, but since you have the journalism background you would be the far superior candidate to fill in for Keith or Rachel. But if there ever was a pie eating contest between Keith, Rachel, and myself, I am pretty confident you can bet your entire life savings on Chairman Mo taking the prize.............but even that would depend on what kind of pie................(Marionberry or Blueberry) would be perfect. :lol:
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:09 am

micro wrote:lest Klaorman thinks he's nuts, this was the "original" pic in the article:
It has since been changed to the two pics as mentioned by Klaroman

Aha! Thanks, micro! I knew I saw this pic first.

That white area at top looks like a sign that was painted out in Photoshop or something. I wonder what it said.
Klaorman

Return to “The Cafe”