Vienna Announces Release Date...

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

hassutvarpaat
Cool Stranger
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:39 pm
Location: Finland

Postby hassutvarpaat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:58 am

CrazyOne wrote:I just enjoyed the sneak peek, wouldn't ever have bothered to try to download or record. I still like having the CD anyway. You know, it's amazing how few CDs I buy anymore compared to years passed. I have hundreds of CDs here. I think I bought zero in 2008, less than 5 in 2007 and probably less than 5 each of the last 5 years. I haven't replaced buying CDs with buying downloads (or stealing downloads), I've just replaced it with nothing. (Okay, I've bought a few downloads, but mostly with nothing.) The music companies can blame anything they like, but personally I find the real reason they're in the hole is that so much music they try to feed us is so much crap! So it's good to have a reason to buy good music every once in a while. :-)


Well, I didn´t think that we, her fans would distribute those songs illegally, but there are folks who do that, and I have been very stressed lately, becuse few of my favorite musicians are saying, that they withdraw from the CD making and performing, because of this illegal downloading and distributing at internet...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Orford

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =461462170

... and we don´t wanna see Vienna to end up to the same conclusion as they did... or do we????????????????? :cry:

Though I fear, that this has only delayed the pirates for one day or less, because the European release day is today, and then someone buy this CD, and makes it freely downloadable anyway...

Those bastards!!! :evil:

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:57 pm

Postby Walking Stranger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:11 pm

hassutvarpaat wrote:
CrazyOne wrote: [...] The music companies can blame anything they like, but personally I find the real reason they're in the hole is that so much music they try to feed us is so much crap! So it's good to have a reason to buy good music every once in a while. :-)


[...] Well, I didn´t think that we, her fans would distribute those songs illegally, but there are folks who do that, and I have been very stressed lately, becuse few of my favorite musicians are saying, that they withdraw from the CD making and performing, because of this illegal downloading and distributing at internet...

[...]... and we don´t wanna see Vienna to end up to the same conclusion as they did... or do we????????????????? :cry:

Though I fear, that this has only delayed the pirates for one day or less, because the European release day is today, and then someone buy this CD, and makes it freely downloadable anyway...

Those bastards!!! :evil:


@CrazyOne :
"buy good music every once in a while." -> same here

@hassutvarpaat :
What about archive.org with loads of VT live recordings ? There is no need to download illegally songs from P2P stuffs ... if it comes out that you respect an artist 's work.
I think what are downloadable from archive.org, well, it's a good way to introduce to Vienna Teng's music for not yet being Vienna Teng fan who already heard some of her songs in this VT official website.
First, because if they have not yet encounter or meet in real life the artist singing in a venue, it will help them to guess the personality of that artist who converses with her audience, wittily joking or laughing, well, just have fun during the shows.
The feelings that the listener via myspace or official website has today will be that he/she will change his/her evaluation of the first listenings of that artist's music, after youtubing and "archive.org-ing".
Hopefully through time, loads of things being combined (reading about an artist's life, feeling or thinking the same way as this or that artist says or sings...), all that will influence more on the decision making of buying the artist's cd(s) on internet or during live shows..
Anyway that was what I did, being hooked by "My Medea" on youtube (the library version) ... and the rest is told by time...It also happens that when you go to a concert for a peculiar band or singer, you discover another band or singer and you are hooked by the voice or the way of playing guitar ... and then it's like another musical adventure in your life !

A few months ago, I introduced Vienna Teng's music to a complete stranger I met only one day - he was not my colleague - but it comes out that I showed him "My Medea" (the library version) and "Harbor" (the standing version) in youtube and he said that he will look at a P2P stuff for her music. I told him, there is no need as he could download for free live concerts and that if he respects this artist for what she gives in her heart & in her soul, if respect is still a word that counts, then he could later on buy cd or go to one of her concerts or give Vienna Teng cds he could purchased as gifts to people he appreciates.

If I can extrapolate, all this depends on how valuable things are in our mind, be it marketing product or not, in our daily life, how far can we do something for what we value much, morally, spiritually, with our mind and our feelings...

Have a nice day you all !
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

ShaynePepper
Warm Stranger
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:01 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby ShaynePepper » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:04 am

I just watched the EPK, and I can't wait to hear the whole album. I'm not going to listen to any album streams or anything. I think I'd like to just buy the cd and experience it all at once on the release date. It's so rare that I get to do that anymore.

hassutvarpaat
Cool Stranger
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:39 pm
Location: Finland

Postby hassutvarpaat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:44 pm

ShaynePepper, let me tell you, that this new album is really the best (IMHO) so far, and you really get what you´re willing to pay!!!

My rate to this album is <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 , or so called *****!!!

1. The Last Snowfall ...........<3 <3 <3 <3
2. White Light ....................<3 <3 <3 <3
3. Antebellum ....................<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
4. Kansas ..........................<3 <3 <3 <3
5. In Another Life ...............<3 <3 <3 <3
6. Grandmother Song .........<3 <3 <3 <3
7. Stray Italian Greyhound ..<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
8. Augustine ......................<3 <3 <3 <3
9. No Gringo ......................<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
10. Watershed ...................<3 <3 <3 <3
11. Radio ..........................<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
12. St. Stephen's Cross ......<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

And I´m getting my CD maybe wednesday! \o/
()„() copy the bunny to your profile
(º.º) to help him achieve world domination.
(›ˆ‹) come join the dark side.
(„|„) (we have cookies.)

hassutvarpaat
Cool Stranger
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:39 pm
Location: Finland

Postby hassutvarpaat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:35 pm

Walking Stranger wrote:What about archive.org with loads of VT live recordings ?


I personally don´t mind about live recordings or bootlegs beeing freely available.

But all the materials that are available in internet, should have songwriters approval.

And like you say, those archive.org(haven´t visited yet), or other live recordings and YouTube videos, are really perfect way to introduce artists to new potential fans, and I have used them to spread word of Vienna as well! :)

So I can understand that, but when the subject is offically unreleased material, or something like in Martin Orfords case (his rules against illegal distribute of his material in any ways, that are stated in his CD-booklets), then I don´t understand people, that distribute illegal copies in P2P, or anywhere else! :x

My future music won´t be so easily played illegally, because it will be something like 10 hours of continuing music of the subject I like, so it won´t be available to radios, or anywhere that requires like 5 min. limit of things. 8)

And I hope that you all will get your own paid copies of Inland Territory soon, "it´s our precioussssssss"!!! :D


Ps. It happened as I feared, and someone had downloaded the songs from that stream, and the stream jukebox is still available for listening and downloading in internet. I have emailed Rounder Records again, but it´s weekend, and they´re not at office now and can´t do anythin until monday, so... :(
()„() copy the bunny to your profile

(º.º) to help him achieve world domination.

(›ˆ‹) come join the dark side.

(„|„) (we have cookies.)

schizoid_man
Howdy, Stranger!
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Köln (Cologne), Germany

Postby schizoid_man » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Nice little witchhunt you're putting up. Ever thought of a job in the inquisition?

:twisted:

Let me put some things straight (at least from my point of view): Not everyone who was listening to that stream was ripping the mp3s off and/or distributing them. As a matter of fact - it wasn't plain to see that this was journalists-only content so every faithful fan with a blog may have embedded the stuff *to help* and not *to ruin* Vienna and who knows how many ordered the CD after listening to the stream?
And then - I know that at least in Germany / Switzerland it is not illegal to record/save streamed contents (but it is surely illegal to share them).

The MP3s appeared much more likely in the P2P networks, because the album was released in Europe or at least in Germany, Austria and Switzerland yesterday. I'm pretty sure there's always some assh... some guy who feels the need to distribute his stuff in those networks. Ripping the stuff off a stream is far too complicated.

The crisis of the music industry is imho a crisis of quality. I have no interest to collect bad-sounding lossy MP3s, but I love to buy CDs and visit concerts. I write music-reviews for 10 years now and spend a lot of money to support "my musicians". Yet you can't deny the fact that the quality of a huge part of the releases of the last years has decreased because the allmighty mainstreaming-tendency produced more and more boring "more-of-the-same". Even the quoted Martin Orford might have complained about P2P, but listening to his last effort I really must say, he had better moments in his career.

I surely don't want to defend p2p, but as Robert Fripp wrote recently in his blog
"individual downloaders are simply music lovers"
- even if they may download the stuff illegally without paying the artist (or buying a CD, visit a concert) the simply listen to music.

Art and artists are nowerdays threatened by the blind politics of an almost-agonizing music industry. Some bands started to produce, promote and release their stuff on their own - many may follow. It's pretty obvious that the music will regain its "value", when people recognize the work of the artists. And this is not very likely in a music world of plastic-products that sometimes change their names but never their character.

To me - the rising of massive P2P-music-downloads and the downfall of the music industry are two symptoms of the same quality problem. MP3s are downloaded and consumed like fast-food, because they appear to be fast food (well not Vienna Teng or Robert Fripp or many other independent artists - but surely 99% of the pop music today).

hassutvarpaat
Cool Stranger
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:39 pm
Location: Finland

Postby hassutvarpaat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:41 pm

schizoid_man wrote:Nice little witchhunt you're putting up. Ever thought of a job in the inquisition?


You know, I answered very detailed answer to your writings, but when I sent it... puff... it was gone, because my login to this site had dissappeared during my answering. :cry:

I Don´t have the mind of doing it all again, so I just say, that we have our agrees and disagrees, and I´m glad to see my fellow King Crimson fan supporting Vienna too! :D

Peace!
()„() copy the bunny to your profile

(º.º) to help him achieve world domination.

(›ˆ‹) come join the dark side.

(„|„) (we have cookies.)

tanthalas
Tengster
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: Somewhere between Boston and San Francisco

Postby tanthalas » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:37 am

I think it's pretty safe to say that now the album's released *somewhere*, we're bound to find the MP3s lying around somewhere in the deep dark corners of the interweb.

I would like to think that everyone who would buy Vienna's CDs is of a character that wouldn't do such things, but then again there are probably those who will just buy/steal/rip any/every CD they can get their hands on and share it over the interwebs.

No matter, though. I'm sure this album will sell spectacularly in spite of this, because it's just that awesome. :)

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Contact:

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:51 am

You can now pre-order Inland Territory from the merch section.


An american EPK is here

(Oh, by the by, what in the world does EPK stand for?)

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:02 am

roofboy179 wrote:You can now pre-order Inland Territory from the merch section.


An american EPK is here

(Oh, by the by, what in the world does EPK stand for?)


No clue; I'd like to know too.

On the VT.com Machine Room forum Folkfan had a suggestion that sounds good to me: order from Amazon to help IT become an Amazon best seller when it's released. That's the way I'm going.

bgalizio
Cool Stranger
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:44 pm

Postby bgalizio » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:51 am

Fred wrote:
roofboy179 wrote:You can now pre-order Inland Territory from the merch section.


An american EPK is here

(Oh, by the by, what in the world does EPK stand for?)


No clue; I'd like to know too.

On the VT.com Machine Room forum Folkfan had a suggestion that sounds good to me: order from Amazon to help IT become an Amazon best seller when it's released. That's the way I'm going.


I believe EPK stands for "Electronic Press Kit."

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:38 am

bgalizio wrote:I believe EPK stands for "Electronic Press Kit."

Ah, thanks!

schizoid_man
Howdy, Stranger!
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Köln (Cologne), Germany

Postby schizoid_man » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:06 pm

BTW, the national German radio station Deutschlandradio Kultur (one of the best stations we have over here in Germany) presents "Inland Territory" as CD of the week :arrow: http://is.gd/iNVx

Also, I'm very touched by Vienna's friendly comment in her tweet as reply to those like me (yeah, I was one of those, I confess) who apologized for embedding the flash player which was not meant to be spread in that way. I did that, along with a nice little article in my personal blog, trying to help out to promote the album among my readers (that would be mostly some friends). Then Mikko (hassutvarpaat that is) left a ... let's say ... rather impolite comment in my blog. I checked Vienna's twitter immediately and removed the flash player and apologized personally for the misunderstanding. Anyway, I'm still convinced that Vienna has loyal fans that have an almost personal relationship to her and buy here CDs and visit her concerts (March 21st in Cologne, yikes). Whoever downloads her music and doesn't get into it wouldn't buy the CD anyway - so no loss at all. Let them be happy with their lossy files filling the HD. Vice versa - I've sent a link to "The Atheist Christmas Carol" at last.fm (:arrow: http://is.gd/iNZO) to a friend (as an example for an unkitschy Christmas song) and she kept on listening to it the whole day for 20-30 times and ordered her CDs the next day, bought a ticket for the Hamburg-show where she will buy the new album. Doh!

Musicians reach those who want to be reached, who want to understand. Vienna is capable to enchant people with her music. Those listeners will always buy their CDs and support her music - the MP3-hunters in the p2p-networks who simply download everything just to download it won't never buy any CDs and never truly listen to music.

schizoid_man
Howdy, Stranger!
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Köln (Cologne), Germany

Postby schizoid_man » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:22 pm

hassutvarpaat wrote:You know, I answered very detailed answer to your writings, but when I sent it... puff... it was gone, because my login to this site had disappeared during my answering. :cry:


Peace to you too hassutvarpaat... :)

OK, this is really off-topic - but if you're using the Firefox you might need this tiny little add-on called Textarea Cache :arrow: http://is.gd/iO1m It saves the text you hack into editor boxes on a kind of clipboard in the status bar of the FF where you can copy & paste your latest entries after a crash or a cookie time-out. This is extremely helpful (don't be scared by the Chinese letters on the site - the plug-in work perfectly with Latin characters) and for me it is indispensable as I part-time work as music journalist for several e-zines, blogs and websites.

And yes, I am into good music - so I'm naturally fond of King Crimson AND Vienna Teng ... and listen (and love) lots of weird Jazz, Progressive Rock, singer-songwriters and classical music as well :D

Samantha
Cool Stranger
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Postby Samantha » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:39 pm

I know that a lot of music distribution on the Internet is illegal, but what if a particular individual has a strong set of values and morals to which they would adhere? If it's difficult to obtain a proper version at a particular time, is it wrong to keep a copy for personal use until it's possible to make the purchase and financially support a particular artist?


Return to “The Cafe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests