The saddest Vienna song?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

The saddest Vienna song?

Postby roofboy179 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:14 pm

What do you think it is?

I recently heard Passage for the first time in a while and I realized how sad it really was =[

So please, share!

And moderators, move as you wish. I couldnt think where to put this =\

echoingstreetsigns
Cool Stranger

Postby echoingstreetsigns » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:58 pm

passage is definitely really sad, but it's also hopeful. i think i would go with my medea, though maybe that's more despair than sadness.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:50 pm

Kansas

easily

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:16 pm

tanthalas wrote:Kansas

easily

Wish I could agree =[ Never heard it!

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Definitely a toss-up between "Passage" and "My Medea", for the reasons already mentioned. "Passage" is more of a familiar, personal grief; "My Medea", in line with its theme, evokes a mythical, starry sadness despair. I'm leaning towards "Passage", though, since I haven't heard "Kansas" yet either.

(Although, when I was first listening to "Passage", I interpreted the last mention of the lover not as "oh, he's moved on from my death and managed to find happiness again", but "my lover was the one who caused the accident in the first place, and although he grieved for it, he still had a wife to come home to", because of the parallel lyric construction between the person who caused the crash and how the song ends.)
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

eirlys
Warm Stranger

Postby eirlys » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:27 pm

I'm leaning towards "Passage" too, but I also thought of "Pontchartrain." Then I decided "Pontchartrain" was more of an eerie silence or numbness rather than sadness.
For some reason I thought of "Between" also, but...I don't know. It's not really as saddening to the listener like "Passage" is.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:31 am

I posted the lyrics to Kansas awhile ago. Though I suppose if you consider lyrics to be a "spoiler" you may not want to click on the link. :P

It's incidentally my favorite song of the new album - at least, that I've heard so far. Not sure what that says about me liking depressing songs and all.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:48 am

tanthalas wrote:I posted the lyrics to Kansas awhile ago. Though I suppose if you consider lyrics to be a "spoiler" you may not want to click on the link. :P

It's incidentally my favorite song of the new album - at least, that I've heard so far. Not sure what that says about me liking depressing songs and all.

I'm thinking kansas is one of those songs that the music greatly compliments the lyrics, for, the lyrics do seem sad, but not horribly depressing.

THough living in kansas is a nightmare.

When you have bad allergies ;-;

Connor
Cool Stranger

Postby Connor » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:29 pm

As others have said, Passage is definitely one of her sadder songs, and I have personal reasons for that as well.

other songs i find sad are Pontchartrain and Between...

Shasta is also sad when you know its true meaning, even with its upbeated-ness.
Rickenbacker 4003 bass fund: $265 / $1950

echoingstreetsigns
Cool Stranger

Postby echoingstreetsigns » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Connor wrote:Shasta is also sad when you know its true meaning, even with its upbeated-ness.

i don't think shasta is sad...it's about handling a difficult situation, but i think the refrain is the basic message of the song - "so far, so good." you get through things a bit at a time, and everything will work out for the best because you've made the right decision for you. (incidentally, it's one of my favorite vienna songs ever.)

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:54 pm

Connor wrote:...other songs i find sad are Pontchartrain and Between...

Pontchartrain is an amazing song. In all of its entirety, its haunting. I love that song, even before the whole "Lake Pontchartrain will cradle me and all you've left behind" Thing, it makes you think of bogs and swamps... Its eerie, but beautiful.

I also think that Say Uncle is really sad. =]

eirlys
Warm Stranger

Postby eirlys » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:58 pm

"Decade and One" has a kind of sad quality to it. Just the contemplative nature of the lyrics makes me nostalgic.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:41 am

eirlys wrote:"Decade and One" has a kind of sad quality to it. Just the contemplative nature of the lyrics makes me nostalgic.

Ahh, i never looked at Decade and One as sad.. because it has my favorite Vienna line in it "ebony glowing by the window there as always fingers kissed the keys oh so tenderly cool ivory returned in kind" XD

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:46 am

Interesting topic. We've debated Vienna's happiest song here multiple
times, but never the saddest. There is perhaps a bit more competition
here, but many of Vienna's sad songs have a hint of things are getting
better in there somewhere as well...

Kansas strikes me as a good possibility, at first thought....

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:43 am

Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.

- "To A Skylark," Percy Shelley

Hard to choose. Passage, Pontchartrain, Drought, among others. But I'll have to go with Recessional. The combination of the lyrics, her singing, and her exquisite piano work reduces me to a basket case every time. I'll never forget the first time I heard Recessional, at Mr. Cheng's house concert, back in '05. What a night ...

Return to “The Cafe”