How did you all discover Vienna?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Digital
Hot Stranger

Re: Non poster is a huge "fanboy"

Postby Digital » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:48 am

Fred wrote:I also find the similarities to Sarah (and Tori) superficial. Where are Vienna's deeper affinities? What other popular artists are similarly devoted to compositional and in-studio technical perfection and/or similarly have major influences from jazz, classical, and other musical streams outside the rock/blues/country/r&b mainstream? Offhand, I think of Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega, Joe Jackson, and Steely Dan; there are others. Discuss.

I know quite a few smaller artists who are exploring different aspects of music, whether its a particular genre, or trying something new - similar to Vienna, but I detest trying to draw too many parallels. I don't care if my musicians fit in neat, tidy little boxes or not. I guess I always take them at face value. I heard a musician one time talk about writing songs based on an artist, like a U2 song, or a Bob Marley song, or whatever, and immediately, I was thinking "write your own damn songs." I guess that's why I'm not a huge American Idol fan - I prefer the real thing, not some studio molded cookie-cutter with no original material.

I think I ended up way off topic, but maybe it's just a round-about way to say I think of Vienna as Vienna, and I don't really compare her to others. She's not Sarah or Tori or Liberace for that matter. She's Vienna, and she's charting her own path, which I think is great.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:03 am

Digital wrote:I know quite a few smaller artists who are exploring different aspects of music, whether its a particular genre, or trying something new - similar to Vienna, but I detest trying to draw too many parallels. I don't care if my musicians fit in neat, tidy little boxes or not. I guess I always take them at face value. I heard a musician one time talk about writing songs based on an artist, like a U2 song, or a Bob Marley song, or whatever, and immediately, I was thinking "write your own damn songs." I guess that's why I'm not a huge American Idol fan - I prefer the real thing, not some studio molded cookie-cutter with no original material.

I think I ended up way off topic, but maybe it's just a round-about way to say I think of Vienna as Vienna, and I don't really compare her to others. She's not Sarah or Tori or Liberace for that matter. She's Vienna, and she's charting her own path, which I think is great.

If I understand correctly, I agree. Some performers really do naturally fall into genres, and some are one-of-a-kind. I've always had an extra affinity for the latter kind, and that certainly applies to Vienna.

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:24 am

Fred wrote:If I understand correctly, I agree. Some performers really do naturally fall into genres, and some are one-of-a-kind. I've always had an extra affinity for the latter kind, and that certainly applies to Vienna.

I think you got it exactly. :-)

whr
Cool Stranger

Postby whr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:09 pm

I got the first hint on Vienna from the ecto mailing list, just 2 years ago. I was pointed to ecto some years before by the Ectophiles' Guide to Good Music which may have a lot of interesting stuff to read for some people here.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:16 am

whr wrote:I got the first hint on Vienna from the ecto mailing list, just 2 years ago. I was pointed to ecto some years before by the Ectophiles' Guide to Good Music which may have a lot of interesting stuff to read for some people here.

I'm also familiar with Ecto and the Ectophiles' Guide. Founded by fans of an obscure (and apparently reclusive) singer-songwriter, Happy Rhodes, whose music I still haven't taken the time to track down. To the Ectophiles, ectophilic music is primarily the product of a certain sort of singer songwriter, generally female, exemplified by Happy Rhodes, Tori Amos, Kate Bush, Veda Hille, Sarah McLachlan, and Jane Siberry. The closest thing to a male ecto artist, says the Guide, is Peter Gabriel. Given these affinities, it is not surprising that the reviews of Vienna's 1st 3 CDs in the Guide are rapturous.

whr
Cool Stranger

Postby whr » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:20 am

Fred wrote:I'm also familiar with Ecto and the Ectophiles' Guide. Founded by fans of an obscure (and apparently reclusive) singer-songwriter, Happy Rhodes, whose music I still haven't taken the time to track down.

You should. Really. http://rhodesongs.com/music/ - start e. g. with the album "Rhodesongs".

Indeed Happy has never been touring a lot, and did only few live shows in the past years - the last one in 2007 where I was so lucky to be in the auditorium. At this event Noe Venable performed also - she is familiar with Vienna, I know Vienna and Alex were guests on Noes CD release party last year.

manleyj
Cool Stranger

First heard Vienna opening for Joan Baez

Postby manleyj » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:17 pm

I first heard Vienna when she opened for Joan Baez in Portland, Oregon a few years ago. I was totally mesmerized. I have seen/heard her several times since in a variety of venues with a variety of backing musicians. My now 9 year old daughter is also . We are looking forward to her being Portland in 10 days.

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:46 am

I'm familiar with ecto, being on a number of mailing lists that share the smoe home (like illuminations), but I have to admit I never joined ecto for the simple reason I never really got into Happy Rhodes' music. It's probably a strange concept, since 99.9% of the conversation on ecto has nothing to do with Happy Rhodes. However, I didn't feel comfortable being a member of a mailing list dedicated to a musician who I wasn't a huge fan of. Call me crazy.

Maybe one day I'll develop a taste for Happy Rhodes, just not right now.

legio_ix
Cool Stranger

Postby legio_ix » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:47 pm

I got my intro about 5 years back from some complete random on a chat website. There was a general music topic in the room and somebody mentioned VT. Checked the music out on her website and well... I've preordered the last two cds. Still curious as to whether it was anybody on this forum who made the rec. The site was called spinchat.
I've got the servants' stair again. This place was built by mouldiewarps, for mouldiewarps and to the devil with lords and gentlemen.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:23 pm

Digital wrote:I'm familiar with ecto, being on a number of mailing lists that share the smoe home (like illuminations), but I have to admit I never joined ecto for the simple reason I never really got into Happy Rhodes' music. It's probably a strange concept, since 99.9% of the conversation on ecto has nothing to do with Happy Rhodes. However, I didn't feel comfortable being a member of a mailing list dedicated to a musician who I wasn't a huge fan of. Call me crazy.

Maybe one day I'll develop a taste for Happy Rhodes, just not right now.

I never joined either. Just lurked on the list archive once, and visited the site a few times. Both are pretty stagnant. Happy has not been giving her fans much encouragement of late, I guess. Tough to follow someone who reccords rarely and performs more rarely.

Shaii
Cool Stranger

Postby Shaii » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:32 am

My friend Hilde and I drove from Belgium to Germany to see our friend Austin Willacy who was touring there at the time. When we arrived at the Altes Pfandhaus in Cologne, we could hear the soundcheck of the artist he was opening for and that was the first time I heard Vienna Teng. The soundcheck already did it for me and needless to say, the concert was wonderful, I fell in love and we all lived happily ever after. Or something.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:46 am

Shaii wrote:My friend Hilde and I drove from Belgium to Germany to see our friend Austin Willacy who was touring there at the time. When we arrived at the Altes Pfandhaus in Cologne, we could hear the soundcheck of the artist he was opening for and that was the first time I heard Vienna Teng. The soundcheck already did it for me and needless to say, the concert was wonderful, I fell in love and we all lived happily ever after. Or something.

Oooh, i like that. It sounds really cool.. did you get tickets to her concert that evening?

Shaii
Cool Stranger

Postby Shaii » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:00 am

roofboy179 wrote:
Shaii wrote:My friend Hilde and I drove f... blahblahblah ...happily ever after. Or something.

Oooh, i like that. It sounds really cool.. did you get tickets to her concert that evening?

Yes, we did, we got in because Austin opened for her, she was the main act, but I'd never heard of her. (Wondering how to promote her in Belgium - you know, saving on gas and all that ;) ) It was just extra special because we didn't expect it at all and it's just more intense to discover someone live rather than on the radio.

huyana
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby huyana » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:56 am

I discovered her about ...the summer after grade ten...so five years ago now. I was looking for music to study to, and I study best with white noise - hence key words such as "storm, rain, thunder", and the result was "Lullabye for a Stormy Night". I liked the sound, and after further exploration I found Passage. I was hooked from that song on in. Decade and One, My Medea, Say Uncle...they all just moved into my mind.
From then on, Vienna has become my all time favourite artist, ask my friends - they've all been sat down and given the , "Have you learned about Vienna yet" talk.

Kaikyaku
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Kaikyaku » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:27 am

Hi, first post for me. I am more recent Vienna fan, having discovered her about a year and a half ago. I, too, was exposed throught the AMV Waking Hour by Koop which featured Gravity. The piano was just amazing and I searched for more. I started with Warm Strangers and DDTN and then moved on to Inland Territory and Waking Hour. I absolutely love her stuff and have since passed her on to several other people who are now fans.

I would absolutely LOVE to see her perform live, but I don't think she's ever done concerts in Canada. If she ever does, I'll be there for sure!

Return to “The Cafe”