How did you all discover Vienna?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:48 am

hassutvarpaat wrote:The only thing that I regret is, that I didn´t bought the World Cafe Live DVD at the same time, because now it´s unavailable, and I want it too! :roll:

I must have ordered one of the last copies. Two weeks ago, I bought one for my dentist, who is also a pianist in his spare time. I've been telling him about Vienna for the past couple of years.

I gave him the DVD on Thursday during our regular appointment. He has a DVD player right in the office for the benefit of his patients, who prefer to watch videos before and during their appointments. He popped the DVD in, and the two of us watched and listened to Vienna throughout the appointment.

Have to admit, it was an interesting experience.

This is the same plaFWEEEEEEEEE-RRRRWWRRRRWWRR 've been before ... :)

Samantha
Cool Stranger

Postby Samantha » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Wow, I feel like such a baby when I read about everyone else's stories... I'm actually very conservative when it comes to my musical tastes (mostly because I had long given up on contemporary music that was any good) and was initially all 'meh' towards Vienna's second and third albums (which was what I had at the time). I probably had her songs in Mp3s for months without really giving them a proper listen, thinking she was just another one of those poppy singers (I distinctly recall hearing the chorus of Whatever You Want and shrugging). Then one day I heard the opening for Passage and thought, "Wait a minute..." I really listened to the song, and the next, and the next... and here we are now.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:00 am

Samantha wrote:Wow, I feel like such a baby when I read about everyone else's stories... I'm actually very conservative when it comes to my musical tastes (mostly because I had long given up on contemporary music that was any good) and was initially all 'meh' towards Vienna's second and third albums (which was what I had at the time). I probably had her songs in Mp3s for months without really giving them a proper listen, thinking she was just another one of those poppy singers (I distinctly recall hearing the chorus of Whatever You Want and shrugging). Then one day I heard the opening for Passage and thought, "Wait a minute..." I really listened to the song, and the next, and the next... and here we are now.

Samantha,
Nothing wrong with that; I think there's an element of chance. I almost never fall head over heels for a musician when I first hear him/her. Peter Gabriel, REM, Dar Williams -- among many others I love -- all took multiple exposures to catch my interest. U2 took about 10 years. No different for classical music. Usually, for me, the experience is like what you describe for Passage. You have to hear the right song under the right conditions, and then everything falls into place, including the songs you passed by before. For me, Vienna was something of an exception; it only took 2 or 3 plays of Lullaby for a Stormy Night heard late at night on Pandora to hook me, but maybe if it had been another song or different circumstances it would have taken longer.
Fred

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:10 pm

hassutvarpaat wrote:The only thing that I regret is, that I didn´t bought the World Cafe Live DVD at the same time, because now it´s unavailable, and I want it too! :roll:

It's back up now 8)

To answer the topic question, in August 2002 I was sitting in a parking lot of a venue in Los Angeles after a Poe show, and my friend Bich Ngoc (mad_cao on here and everywhere) mentioned Vienna Teng to me. I don't tend to check out recommendations and forgot about it until a few months later when I was at Borders. I picked up their flyer of in-store events and she was listed there. Good thing she has a memorable name or I wouldn't have noticed. I went home, checked out V1 of this website, and saw she had a show the very next day at the library. I posted on the old version of this forum asking if I could record, and she said yes.

Well, the show was not a typical one; she was sick and the sound was acting up. The quality of the songs was still apparent despite that; I was drawn in by the lyrics of The Tower, and loved the cleverness of Unwritten Letter #1. I also appreciated the variety of styles of songs she played. When I packed up my gear she approached me and asked if I was the one who had posted asking about recording. I was startled that she remembered and bothered to talk to me. I went to the merch table and tried desperately to make the little portable CD players work and failed. We bought a copy anyway. My husband somehow convinced me to go to two free shows the next day even though I had a headache and was grumpy and the early show got rained out. Because we were crazy even back then, we went to all the trouble of going to Fisherman's Wharf just to take a picture of the Cancelled sign and paid a bajillion dollars for parking to do so before we headed out to the later show.

We're still crazy...

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Michele wrote:We're still crazy...

Seriously.

hassutvarpaat
Cool Stranger

Postby hassutvarpaat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:00 pm

Michele wrote:

It's back up now 8)

Yes, I asked them about the DVD availability, and today they answered me, and told, that it has been mistake in their system, and they have had the DVD all time, but now they had corrected their listing, and I immediately went and pre-ordered my 2nd Inland Territory CD with the World Cafe Live DVD! :D

And By the way, when I told that I discovered Vienna last autumn 2008, my memory made big mistake, because my e-mail history showed, that I ordered my WH, WS & DTTN CD´s at May 2008(almost year ago, and it just feels like four months?)... How the time flies when you´re havin fun with Vienna´s beautiful songs!!! :o
()„() copy the bunny to your profile
(º.º) to help him achieve world domination.
(›ˆ‹) come join the dark side.
(„|„) (we have cookies.)

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:54 am

Vienna has yet another new fan. I had a follow-up appointment with my dentist last week. Dr. Wong told me he took the "Live at the World Cafe Live" DVD home to share with his family. His six-year old daughter LOVED it. She's just started piano lessons, and was fascinated by the close-ups of Vienna's hands on the keyboard.

Dr. Wong told me, "I'd like to bring the DVD back to the office to share with my patients ... but I'd have to pry it out of my daughter's hands first!" :)

kristinamy
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby kristinamy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:38 am

I guess I've lurked long enough...

Pretty much every new artist I hear is from Pandora (Internet radio). I didn't really grow up listening to music, just some Classical things that would occasionally play. So I guess I typed in Andrea Bocelli since he was the only singer I knew, and then ended up with Josh Groban. And then from him I got Sissel, and then ... "Whatever You Want" by Vienna Teng. I think that was the, um, evolution of phases.

I guess the song ran through several times before I really decided to look her up, but the lyrics really struck me, so I listened to her Dreaming album. I guess I liked it because I could identify with her? Not just because I happen to be Asian, but because she just really likes music because it's music...? Plus I play the piano, and was frustrated by all the guitar+voice singers that I couldn't sing since I suck at chords, and don't play the guitar,

So then I bought all her albums. And just recently, the songbook. Pretty boring story actually. But I'm promoting her to all my friends... and am ridiculously excited for the concert coming in... May.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:25 am

Hi kristinamy,

Hope this post keeps you out of lurking for good. :) Welcome!

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

chirrio
Howdy, Stranger!

Non poster is a huge "fanboy"

Postby chirrio » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:29 am

I discovered Vienna Teng, a few years ago, while searching through Sarah Mclachlan posts for tour information. Up popped an article from I believe San Francisco reporting on this great talent with similar qualities. So I decided to check out a video on youtube, I believe it was for "Recessional" and I was instantly enthralled. Imo, some artists emerge from a different realm, with abilities far greater than mortal women (sorry, Superman); with the ability to transform vague lyrics into tender melodies and with such emotive depth that a whisper can cling to your ears. After repeated listens it is hard not be affected by her lyrical mastery or not get "chills" when she sings. Pure magic that I hope never disappears.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:45 am

I thknk a lot of us feel the same way. Welcome, Chirrio!

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Digital
Hot Stranger

Re: Non poster is a huge "fanboy"

Postby Digital » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 am

chirrio wrote:I discovered Vienna Teng, a few years ago, while searching through Sarah Mclachlan posts for tour information.

I've heard this before, but I don't see the comparisons between Vienna and Sarah. Except for the piano and the fact they are female, do they have anything in common? Personally, I find the music worlds away from each other. Even Pandora has never tried to link the two in my little world.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:05 am

Digital wrote:
chirrio wrote:I discovered Vienna Teng, a few years ago, while searching through Sarah Mclachlan posts for tour information.

I've heard this before, but I don't see the comparisons between Vienna and Sarah. Except for the piano and the fact they are female, do they have anything in common? Personally, I find the music worlds away from each other. Even Pandora has never tried to link the two in my little world.

Really? I get Sarah all the time on my Vienna station..

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Digital wrote:

I also find the similarities to Sarah (and Tori) superficial. Where are Vienna's deeper affinities? What other popular artists are similarly devoted to compositional and in-studio technical perfection and/or similarly have major influences from jazz, classical, and other musical streams outside the rock/blues/country/r&b mainstream? Offhand, I think of Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega, Joe Jackson, and Steely Dan; there are others. Discuss.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:28 pm

For the new album, I see some obvious connections to Radiohead and Marillion. :D

Return to “The Cafe”