How did you all discover Vienna?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:20 am

slinkytwf wrote:I found her in March of 2007 via an Amazon.com "if you like X, then you might like..." link. I think it was from Tori Amos or Charlotte Martin, but it might have been Anjani Thomas. In any event, I looked over the glowing reviews and said, "why not?" I tossed Warm Strangers into the cart and several days later, I had the CD.

It usually takes me a long time to "assimilate" new music, sometimes a year or more until it really catches my ear. But it had only been a week or so, and maybe only two listens when it happened that I had my Sennheisers on while I was focused on writing, and "My Medea" came up on shuffle. I rewound it to the beginning. I cranked up the volume. When the words came around to, "for you, I'd burn the length and breadth of sky," I got chills. I grabbed the CD and read over the liner notes as I played it again. And again. Then I listened to the entire CD. As I was listening to My Medea for probably the tenth time, I was on Amazon again ordering Waking Hour and Dreaming Through the Noise and Googling for the official Web site.

My Medea is probably my favorite song on Warm Stranges =D

Thankles for sharing, love ;]

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:13 am

:D I was trying to identify a Tori Amos-like song I had been hearing on muzak in stores (really!), so I set up a Tori station on Pandora.com and seeded it with a bunch of her quieter, moodier songs. I never found the mystery song, but I did find a bunch of good artists I don't hear on the radio, first and foremost, Vienna. First song I heard was Lullabye for a Stormy Night. I was intrigued, researched Vienna on iTunes, got totally blown away by Gravity, and that was it. (I also found Charlotte Martin and several other quality artists, so the search was more than worth it.)

Kwon2m
Cool Stranger

Postby Kwon2m » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:46 am

I first came across Vienna's music about a year and a half
ago, maybe two years, and it was by accident. I was searching
for something else music related online and her name came up.
I thought "Vienna Teng" was kind of intriguing, so I checked
out her website. Little did I know. I listened to a couple of
samples, I know one of them was "Harbor", and found myself
seriously wanting to hear more. I loved her hauntingly beautiful
voice, her wonderful piano skills, and her amazing unique music.
I then went out and bought "Dreaming Through The Noise" and I've
been hooked as a Vienna fan ever since. I've since also picked
up "Waking Hour" and "Warm Strangers". I've loved every single
song off all of these albums.

What's a bit weird for me is that Vienna's music is so very different
from what I normally listen to. I'm typically into classic rock, blues,
and jazz. But, the bottom line is that I'll listen to anything that
sounds good to me. And I think Vienna's music is incredible. I really
would love to see her play live some day. Just haven't caught up with
her yet.

John

eirlys
Warm Stranger

Postby eirlys » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:13 pm

I agree, John. It's amazing what you can come across just by surfing =)

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:37 am

It was six years ago today. Man, what a moment that was.

Rotkehlchen
Warm Stranger

Postby Rotkehlchen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:14 am

My Fourth Anniversary has just expired.

What a moment, indeed! I remain Gravitationally Challenged to this very day.
~ R

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:08 am

I thought I had posted my story around here somewhere, but it wasn't in the old thread, nor can I be bothered to look it up just now. In any event, I met and discovered Vienna at the same time, back in March 2003. A friend of mine, Annie Lin, had set up a concert at a club in Houston called Ovations. Vienna was the headliner, and Annie opened for her. Like always, I came set to record, and this night I brought both audio gear and a video camera. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but at some point the club owner started coming to me asking when they were gonna start, etc. So I ended up telling the musicians when it was time to perform. It was an amazing show, and very different from the current performances. Vienna's talent was obvious, but her stage presence wasn't as strong. In any event, I bought a CD after the show and then proceeded to catch every show I could from that point on.

So I guess my six year anniversary will be coming up. Hard to believe.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:22 am

Digital wrote: Like always, I came set to record, and this night I brought both audio gear and a video camera. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but at some point the club owner started coming to me asking when they were gonna start, etc.

So, is the recording available? :)

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 pm

I could make the recording available, though it's not up to my usual standards. We made two recordings that night - one from the board and one from my seat in the balcony. THe idea was to use the one from the board and augment with the audience. Because of the room, it's rather boomy.

The problem is that I was never able to get a copy of the board recording. Shortly after this show, there was a bit of a falling out between friends, with the result that my connection to the guy with the board was severed. I haven't pursued it in years, but I could see if I can still find him and the recording. It should be out there somewhere.

The other I've been wont to put on archive given (what I consider) the poor quality of the recording. I'll have another listen one of these days and see if I have changed my opinion.

juliekaye
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby juliekaye » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:34 pm

These are cool stories to read! Mine is pretty boring - I went through a phase of downloading a bunch of user made CDs for Gilmore Girls (songs people picked that they felt represented the 2 main characters well) and on 2 of the CDs I downloaded, they had a few Vienna songs on there. "The Tower", "Momentum" and "Harbor" I think. I thought they were gorgeous and generally got the most replays and so I finally went looking for the CDs. Have been hooked since.

I saw her live in March 2007 (Dallas, TX) and it was during a period of time when I was really sick. I talked a friend into driving me to the show and I suffered for it the next day (it didn't take much at that time to wear me completely out) but it was so completely worth it. She was amazing! I had the best time. And getting to meet her after the show was awesome.

While I haven't been a poster here before, I have lurked on and off. It's been awhile though and I just got an email today that she's coming back to Dallas next month - 2 days after my birthday! Happy birthday to me! :) I have been practically bouncing off the walls since. And to find out a new CD is on it's way...SO AWESOME!!

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:36 am

Welcome Julie, and thanks for sharing your story. Enjoy the Dallas show!!
(And then come back and tell us all about it! :)
scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Aschefeder
Cool Stranger

Postby Aschefeder » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

I watched certain AMVs ("Anime Music Videos", this one and this one) using some of Vienna's songs as background music. I was pretty impressed and then bought one of her albums (Warm Strangers, as far as I remember). So, that's how I became "familiar" with her music.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:26 pm

The first time I found Vienna Teng on the internet it was after googling my firstname and I found this singer and her songs and downloaded some mp3 from her first website.
I was not a fan at once really as there was one or two songs I just appreciated being good to my non musical trained ears.
Until I let my Irish friend listen to one of her song "Harbor", and he was in tears. He asked me if I understood the lyrics, I said I just got an overall and quick look of the text of songs but I was more captivated by melody of the music on overall, the voice and piano skills then. Then he started to explain me the meaning of the text, how he felt. That was the starting point for me to have a close look to lyrics.
When googling and youtubing later on I found out the "Medea" on youtube : the skills on piano with speed and intensity, the vibration of her voice and also her way of talking and not playing the star but remaining simple and humble and witty are for me qualities I appreciate. This singer Vienna Teng has something.
Last edited by Walking Stranger on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

ShaynePepper
Warm Stranger

Postby ShaynePepper » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:11 am

It was right after Waking Hour came out, and "The Tower" was on a Landmark Theater sampler CD. I was struck by how perfect the song was, and then she came and toured at a little jazz club in New Orleans. There were literally 7 people in the audience, and two were people that I brought with me. Six years and several concerts later, the music is just as fresh and wonderful as ever.

hassutvarpaat
Cool Stranger

Postby hassutvarpaat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Last autumn 2008 I simply clicked to her MySpace profile from The Wishing Trees friends list...

www.myspace.com/thewishingtreeband

... and then I went from the MySpace to the Viennas homepage, and YouTube, saw her performing in My Medea(Live Sunnyvale CA 03-23-2003) video, and went back to the Merchandise section of her homepage, and ordered all of her CD:s.

The only thing that I regret is, that I didn´t bought the World Cafe Live DVD at the same time, because now it´s unavailable, and I want it too! :roll:
()„() copy the bunny to your profile
(º.º) to help him achieve world domination.
(›ˆ‹) come join the dark side.
(„|„) (we have cookies.)

Return to “The Cafe”