My idea of the month.

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

spyfferoni
Warm Stranger

Postby spyfferoni » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:29 am

It would be hard for me to get to New York, but if there was a concert and I was in the area, I'd bring my kids and they'd join in on the last verse of Lullabye for a Stormy Night. I sing some pretty good harmony on Harbor too, I'm much better in a duet or choir though, so no solos for me!

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:06 am

The more voices the merrier Spyfferoni. We might even be able to have an entire choir to serenade Vienna with.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:23 am

My February idea of the month is for Vienna to cover the song written by John Lennon off the White Album called Piggies. It is very much a chamber pop type song and it would be very relevant for these days and times. If Dolly Parton can cover a Fine Young Cannibals song called, She drives me crazy on her album then Vienna could do this one with ease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQeRLT1HNQ
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:35 pm

My March idea of the month came from watching the movie Cool Hand Luke . In that film, Paul Newman, sings a little song called Plastic Jesus with great dramatic flair. My idea for this one is Vienna do a duet with Corrinne May for a new version. A group called the Flaming Lips did their version but it was kind of lousy in comparison to the Newman version I thought. I think a feminine version, with good voices, the use of guitar and piano, would make a nice change up and excellent version of this song. This concludes the March idea of the month, giving me several weeks to ponder for the April idea of the month.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:53 pm

Ang Mo wrote:. This concludes the March idea of the month, giving me several weeks to ponder for the April idea of the month.

What a great service you are providing us as a means of looking forward
to the coming months! :)

I finally ordered online (hasn't arrived yet) some Corrine May. so I hope
to learn what all the talk is about soon!

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:52 am

I have only listened to the one song and watched her video called Mr. Beasley.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh3uH-C9eRM

She has an excellent voice and seems to not suffer from being bashful at all. She plays guitar pretty well and can also play piano. I tried to buy one of her albums at the store, but it is not available here. I will have to order off the internet. I really think Vienna and Corrinne could be the female version of Lennon/McCartney.

I am feeling quite zen at the moment, being full of spicy tuna rolls, pan seared Gyoza, and of course a Deborah Roll. That Deborah, makes a very nice roll..................I'm talking food here of course, and it was all chased down by a diet coke. The capstone to a perfect meal.

Tomorrow I want to have Texas BBQ or TexMex or something of that nature. That is all Ginny's fault. :wink:

CandaceC
Hot Stranger

Postby CandaceC » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:46 am

Chairman Mo makes me have massive cravings every time he talks about sushi...

Mmmm, sushi. It may be why I will decide to never have children. No sushi for 9 months to prevent mercury poisoning is just too much time without it.

Which brings me to my idea of the month...A Tenghead's Cookbook? We could each contribute one or two recipes as a compilation? (Dibs on cranberry pie, yo.)

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:26 am

CandaceC wrote:Which brings me to my idea of the month...A Tenghead's Cookbook? We could each contribute one or two recipes as a compilation? (Dibs on cranberry pie, yo.)

Great idea, Candace. You go first. Let's hear that cranberry pie recipe. :)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:04 am

Chairman Mo makes me have massive cravings every time he talks about sushi...

Thanks! Maybe I can write food reviews on the internet.

Which brings me to my idea of the month...A Tenghead's Cookbook? We could each contribute one or two recipes as a compilation? (Dibs on cranberry pie, yo.)

Exceptional idea Candace. We could call the breakfast menu dishes section: (Waking Hour) and the lunch section (Dreaming through the Noise) because lunch is the noisiest meal of the day because we are at work, school, or restaurant and the reflective warm comfort dinner food menu as (Warm Strangers). You are definitely onto something. I see Vienna on the cover, same pose as the one in the drawing eating the Chairman's beef stew, with diet coke....... :wink: I am being selfish again. She can be on the cover eating and drinking whatever she likes. Maybe just have her on the cover snacking on a Stroopwaffle or whatever you call it.

CandaceC
Hot Stranger

Postby CandaceC » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:05 am

Will you submit the Beef Stew recipe then? XD

I do recall a pretty fabulous picture that Klaorman took of Vienna at a burger place that would work for great cover art...

At some point, I definitely need to start a recipe thread for real.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:32 am

The stew recipe is already submitted on this forum somewhere. I think it is here in the cafe. Klaorman stole the show with that Vienna photoshoot and sock video. I still get a kick out of watching that. The restaurant he took her too was called Burgermeister and the burgers looked good. I clicked on the link he listed and they had a large variety of burgers to offer. If I ever get over that way I intend on giving it a try.

Tonight I went to a Hawaiin restaurant. I deviated from Sushi for a change although this place offered it. They did not have an open bar where you could see it being made so I was a tad suspicious. I ordered Hawaiin barbequed grilled chicken paired with white rice infused with coconut. It was very good. Had pineapple upside down cake for dessert topped off with the traditional diet coke. I rated the meal a complete: Ono which is a word they use in Hawaii to commend something highly I think. Scot might have to verify that, now that he is practically a native having lived there for more then a year. :wink:

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Almost three years now - and I felt like a Kamaaina almost the moment
I arrived, although there is still a lot to learn about the place/culture/language
here! :>

Ono- basically means delicious. It's also a very common white fish here.
Good food is referred to as "ono grindz" in the local lingo - as in,
dem some ono grindz, brah.

;)

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:24 am

Has it been nearly three years? I thought it was only about 18 months. Time goes too quickly at the moment. I better get to a Vienna concert live before I end up taking a dirt nap. :lol:

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:22 am

I was going to post the idea of the month on the first but I was sure that everyone would think it was an April fools joke.............

So today I post my new idea of the month.

Vienna needs to do a cover of a Kinks song called This time tomorrow. After hearing it on The Darjeeling Limited sountrack I think she could do a great version of the song.

Here is the opening credits. The song starts when the Adrian Brody character runs past the Bill Murray character at the train station.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h92elR_0i_I

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:54 am

My idea of the month: I'd like to hear Vienna, Odessa Chen, and Kyler England record a cover of a creole lullabye, "Gue Gue." The Kingston Trio recorded it back in '58, on their "Live at the Hungry i" album. The lyrics:

Gue Gue solingaie, balliez chimin la.

Gue Gue solingaie, balliez chimin la.

M'a dis li, oui, m'a dis li.

Calbass' li connain parler.

Calbass' li connain parler.

Sleep, sleep, don't you weep. Dry your tears a-while. Dream, dream, then you'll hear the singing crocodile.

Chorus:
Oh, dreaming, we'll go dreaming. Hush, now, baby, don't you cry.

Sail, sail, pretty babe, while the moon is low. Through bright bayou night, the dreamboats drifting slow.

Chorus:
Oh, dreaming, we'll go dreaming. Hush, now, baby, don't you cry.

Ever since I was about ten years old, I've wanted to see The Kingston Trio live in concert. Last week, I finally did. Granted, none of them are the original members, but George Grove, Bill Zorn, and Rick Dougherty are first-class musicians. After the show, I chatted with all three of them. I mentioned to Rick Dougherty how much I love "Gue Gue." He started singing it, and I joined in. There we were, out in the lobby, singing in harmony. Not only did I get the chance to hear the KT live in concert ... I got to sing with one of them, too. Quite a night.

Return to “The Cafe”