My idea of the month.

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Elmira
Warm Stranger

Postby Elmira » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:40 am

Speaking of sustainable energy, my dream is to have a bamboo plantation (it sucks up CO2 and takes little water/fertilizer to grow) plus clothmaking company with a Malayan tapir as its mascot.

Then I'd devise some way to make growing bamboo for clothing on city rooftops tax deductible. Is it difficult to make the plants of a quality high enough to make into cloth?
I believe in airplanes.

slinkytwf
Cool Stranger

Postby slinkytwf » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:58 am

Remember that the same characteristics that make bamboo special can have enviromental effects (remember kudzu) when introduced into non-native environments. Of course, it tastes better and you can't do much with kudzu except hamper erosion and short out transformers...

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:07 am

It has been a couple of months or so since I had an idea for the month....................

Does anybody have one for this month? That was my idea, to ask someone else...........

Winter is coming on, everything is getting cold............
Time to really start eating a lot of chicken satay's with peanut sauce. A great winter quick snack during the holiday season.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:23 am

I have an update for an idea I previously suggested. Some time ago, I proposed converting every street light, highway light, and parking lot light to solar power. That concept just became a lot easier.

The conventional lights - what we tech geeks call the "cobra lights" - are high pressure sodium lamps. All things considered, they are relatively efficient. But something better is now available.

Here in the Bay Area, we are replacing the cobra lights on two of our bridges with new, ultra-efficient LED units. The LED lights use 60% less energy than the high-pressure sodium lamps. Here is the story as recently reported by a local TV station.

Here's the payoff. As the LED lights use 60% less energy, it would be much easier to power them by solar energy. The solar panels would charge a battery by day, and the battery would run the light at night. Imagine if every single cobra light were converted to solar-powered LEDs. We could make a huge dent in our energy consumption.

The technology is available. But we have to let our elected officials know about it. Start sending those emails. :)

Return to “The Cafe”