My idea of the month.

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

My idea of the month.

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:17 am

So I have been listening to the Traveling Wilburys over and over again. Now each member of the band was pretty successful and were able to collaborate with one another and make an album.

My idea is that maybe Vienna could do a collaboration with other musicians, maybe just a single if they can't do a whole album. I was kind of thinking of Vienna, Corrinne May, and Kyler England and see if they could come up with a unique song. It would be kind of fun I think.

Good idea or Bad idea?
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:50 am

Kinda like a "modern troubadours in the round" typa thing. :lol:
"From Bottom Line to Highline"

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:31 am

Well examining the video I like how they did not go out on weird special effects. Pretty simple actually. Plus they used acoustic guitar in the piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSL4Eqpm9l4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKu31q9SBbA

Great songs
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

CandaceC
Hot Stranger

Postby CandaceC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:58 am

Great songs indeed! Yay for wonderful links!

Meanwhile, I have a great idea of my own! Ginny, Rahau and I were throwing around the idea of "Tengheads in Concert" in a thread, so wouldn't it be cool for real if we could do a concert in NY for Vienna?

Like for real. <3

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:02 am

I have just read that the founder of Carl's Jr. restaurants has passed away. His final words,
Don't bother me, I'm dying
, the things you learn reading Wikipedia...........................

Oh wait, if Vienna Teng fans sang in group form then I could participate. I sound a lot like Bob Dylan when he has laryngitus. It might be safer if I just mimed the words. :lol: Ginny on trumpet, Rahau on keyboard, Candance doing the vocals, and I would pretend to sing. Scot could write the set list, Wandering Stranger could do the French version and Rotkehlchen could do the German version and so on and so forth.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:08 pm

What are you thinking, Ang Mo?! You're on kazoo! If nothing else, the concert would be unique. :) ~G
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Steve
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:35 pm

And Paul could record it and release it like The Madmen Poets, the CD created by the Dar Williams mailing list fans ten years ago.

CandaceC
Hot Stranger

Postby CandaceC » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:43 am

Exactly guys. This is such an awesome idea that it's too good NOT TO DO.

New York? May? C'mon. Who's down? XD

::evil plotting ensues::

I am. Especially if Ginny wants to play Ewazen... >.>

Rotkehlchen
Warm Stranger

Postby Rotkehlchen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Ang Mo wrote:...if Vienna Teng fans sang in group form then I could participate.

My singing voice works best in a choir (the larger, the better: a massed choir is ideal for me to hide in).

Ang Mo wrote:Wandering Stranger could do the French version and Rotkehlchen could do the German version

I did once start trying to write a German version of Lullabye for a Stormy Night for friends whose English isn't too good.
Translating poetry is generally considered to be next to impossible - especially as I'd want the result to be
    (a) true to Vienna
    (b) singable to her music
    (c) reasonable German...
But I'm sure Walking Stranger could write beautiful French for the occasion... ;)
~ R

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:26 am

But I'm sure Walking Stranger could write beautiful French for the occasion...

Yes, I bet Walking Stranger could.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:00 am

Ang Mo wrote:Scot could write the set list,

Wait - all I get to do is write the set list?
Well, I guess that may actually be one of my better talents, so OK.
Can I post it on a web page, too, though? ;)

s

ps- I'm looking forward ot next month's idea now, too! :>
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:18 pm

Wait - all I get to do is write the set list?

Now that Ginny pointed out that I could bring my Kazoo and jam out on that there is plenty of room in the choir for you. :wink:

Now you have the added responsibility of being a singer, setlist taker, and website coordinator!!!!

Unfortunately my idea of the month was swept under the carpet :lol: , it is now Candace's idea of the month...........I am so jealous...........

I still like my initial idea of Vienna, Corrinne, and that cooking eating Kyler England, all dressed in pin strip business suits, singing something joyous and wonderful, preferably in harmony, with two on guitar and one on piano.

rahau
Even Stranger

Re: My idea of the month.

Postby rahau » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:26 am

Ang Mo wrote:My idea is that maybe Vienna could do a collaboration with other musicians, maybe just a single if they can't do a whole album. I was kind of thinking of Vienna, Corrinne May, and Kyler England and see if they could come up with a unique song. It would be kind of fun I think.

Earlier today, I told Ginny how much I'd like to hear Vienna, Odessa Chen, and Kyler England sing an old Creole lullabye called "Gue Gue." The Kingston Trio recorded it back in the late fifties on their "Live at the Hungry I" album. I once made a mix tape for Odessa, a collection of songs I'd like to hear her cover with other artists, including Vienna. This was one of the songs.

On a related note: I read today that John Stewart, a former Kingston Trio member, passed away yesterday. For better or worse, he is best remembered as the man who wrote "Daydream Believer," recorded by both The Monkees and Anne Murray. Too bad, because he deserves to be remembered for so much more. He was a great singer and songwriter. Rumor has it that Bruce Springsteen once said he would give anything to have John Stewart's voice.

He was booked to play at The Freight and Salvage this March. I was really looking forward to that gig. Now I'll always regret that I never got the chance to catch him live in concert.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:02 am

Earlier today, I told Ginny how much I'd like to hear Vienna, Odessa Chen, and Kyler England sing an old Creole lullabye called "Gue Gue." The Kingston Trio recorded it back in the late fifties on their "Live at the Hungry I" album. I once made a mix tape for Odessa, a collection of songs I'd like to hear her cover with other artists, including Vienna. This was one of the songs.

Fascinating that you have thought about this same thing, except you are substituting Odessa for Corrinne May. I like Corrinne because she just belts those songs out. She does not appear to be overly bashful and her personality seems to contrast nicely with Vienna's, but I could imagine a foursome that might do as well as a threesome, or trio.

Is there a version of Gue Gue on YouTube you could post?

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:35 am

Ang Mo wrote:Is there a version of Gue Gue on YouTube you could post?

Nothing on YouTube. But Amazon has an mp3 download onthis page.
Last edited by rahau on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Cafe”