Welcome!

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

chuck
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby chuck » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hi everyone. Newbie here. :wink:

My name is Chuck, obviously, and I am new to Vienna's music. I learned of her through the Dividing Line, an internet radio station I DJ for. Two other DJ's, vince and Daisy, turned me on to her music. Not to sound like a suck-up, but as a fan of much heavier music, I was floored when I first heard Vienna. I am now a proud fan. :D

I can't wait to see Vienna this July at Madison Square Park, and post a review of the performance on this board, and many others. I must spread the word.

Anyway, it's 4 am, and I am over-tired and babbling.

Cheers!
The Grind!
Fridays: 1-3pm pacific
only on The Dividing Line

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:01 pm

Welcome, Chuck. I'm glad you'll be getting to see a show soon--we'll be looking forward to your review. :) ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Danni
Cool Stranger

Postby Danni » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:19 pm

Hi, my name is Danni :) I live in Buffalo/Cheektowaga NY/24/F...Just so no one calls me "Dude" lol, just kidding. Anyway I hope it's okay I posted before I really introduced myself ^^; haha

Anyhow, I'm pretty new to Vienna's music I suppose, I've only been listening for a few months now. I'm desperately trying to get to her Philly show, but it seems like all odds are against me at the moment.. but I'm not giving up since there's still time! Anyone know how long I have to buy a ticket?

Thanks for having such a great community!

Take care,
~Danni

Steve J
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve J » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:57 am

Welcome Chuck! Welcome Danni! Welcome Ginny! Nice to have you all in our group! It's fun here..... ooooops...Did I say Welcome Ginny? I've been away so long I almost forgot Ginny is not new, but is one of our brave and fearless leaders.
In the last 2 months I've spent a week in Chicago, 4 days in NYC, a week in DC and 8 days at a cool/"HOT" beach in SC, and partied so much (in between a little work too) that I think I forgot what my OWN name is too. Now I'm back to boringggggg NC.
I promise I've been keeping the Vienna CDs busy during my traveling.
I just wish that we could see that Vienna chick in person more often, but I understand she needs to cool her heels a from the traveling a little bit these days.
OK, nice to talk to you Chuck and Danni..... Oh and if another roomie named Ang Mo ever approaches you in a dark alley..... well.... hhmmm I don't know WHAT to tell you to do, but just be very very alert. Some of us are not yet sure whether Ang Mo is even human, but the creature Ang Mo is certainly a very different sort... and somehow manages to be kinda amusing too. Oh no, I'm rambling. Later you all, and welcome to all... even to mySELF... lol
Loyal fan/groupie/friend/ETC. of Vienna Teng, Kyler England & Taylor Roberts Music (Now "Glorydive").

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:45 am

LOL! SteveJ, I've been wondering where you were! Sounds like you've had a busy, good few weeks. NC is NOT boring. You just don't know where to go. For instance, 2 weeks ago was the 3rd of 4 rounds of the hideous Triad Idol competition. That's right, the Piedmont Triad is having an American Idol kind of competition to raise money for the Carolina theater. You could've come and suffered by my side at that one. I worked stage crew. It was awful! If I ever hear another Karaoke version of "I Will Always Love You," "Killing Me Softly" or "How Do I Live Without You" I might become homicidal. *shudder* It was funny b/c there was a woman working with me who somewhat resembled American Idol's 2004 winner, Fantasia (from the piedmont triad), and 20 people or so came backstage and asked for her autograph. LOL See, NC is not boring. It's weird! Hey, are you going to see Vienna in Raleigh in July? I can't go. And you know what's worse? Tori Amos is here 2 days before I go to China so I can't see her either b/c I'll be in a dress rehearsal for the tour. GRRRRRRRR :evil: :evil: :evil: Imagine that, missing Vienna AND Tori all in a 4 week timespan. Tragic, huh? Not that I really have a valid complaint considering the whole China trip thing, but I'm still going to feel sorry for myself just a little. ;) ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Steve J
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve J » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:49 am

Hey hey hey again Ginny. I'm probably not going to the Raleigh show in July. July and Aug. are our busiest months where I work (boring stuff like preparing the budget & strategic plans, etc. for our Execs and Board to review). That's why I took so much vacation the past couple months. That Raleigh trip would take a couple days and I probably can't commit to it, even on a weekend. dangit.... grrrrr.....

Hey, are you learning any Chinese before your trip there?
Ni hui shuo zhongwen ma? (Do you speak chinese?)

(I know about a hundred words, which is better than nothing for a dumb white southern guy, lol, but I am too shy to actually use them much. Two chinese guys lived on my floor of the dorm in college for 3 years, so I picked up a little from them. If I say those words at some place like a chinese restaurant in the Carolinas, I quickly become like a circus sideshow, lol, so I stopped doing that years ago. So, now I just say "Wo bu hui shou zhongwen. Wo hui shou Yingwen." (Which basically means: "I don't speak Chinese. I know how to speak english.") lol) Anyway, it is nearly impossible to type chinese using english characters because you need to also know the tones that go with each group of letters to make the right word. You could buy a book or tapes though if you wanna give it a try. I know some of the others in here could help LOTS more than me also. OK, talk to you later.....
zai jian lol (ooops, I know we probably don't want to get started trying to turn this into a chinese forum, so excuse my blurbs.)
:-)
Loyal fan/groupie/friend/ETC. of Vienna Teng, Kyler England & Taylor Roberts Music (Now "Glorydive").

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:16 am

Hi SteveJ,
Nope, I don't speak a word of Chinese. Let's just say I'm strongly hoping I don't get lost or separated from the guys--unless, of course, the guys are on their way to jail. They're so rowdy who knows what to expect....and yeehaw for the 18hr flight with them. ;) The plane tickets are booked, visas are on the way, and we signed our contracts with the Forbidden City Hall and Peking University so I guess we're nearly all set. Ok, well if you know of any Chinese phrases I need to know, drop me a line. Sorry to hear you, too will be missing the Raleigh show. Boo. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: (<----- I'm really into using that emoticon to express my disgust at missing Vienna and Tori. lol) ~Ginny

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:03 am

Steve J wrote:Hey, are you learning any Chinese before your trip there?
Ni hui shuo zhongwen ma? (Do you speak chinese?)

Ni hui chang zhongwen ma? (shuo - said, chang - speak)

I usually answer: Wo fu tong. (I don't understand.)

I can speak very little Mandarin (zhongwen), I remember how I struggled with this language when I went to Beijing about 4 years ago.

Here are some sentences that you might find helpfull.

Wo su mei-kwo ren. (I am an American.)
Wo ming chiao Ginny. (My name is Ginny.)
Tu-chu oh-lo, si wang chur yah. (My stomach is hungry, wishing to eat duck. Peking is Beijing and Peking duck is a specialty there.)

:wink:
Always look on the bright side of life.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:25 pm

Thank you, Ben! What did you do in Beijing when you visited? ~Ginny

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:04 pm

"Bu yao!" is the most helpful phrase I learned. It basically means "I don't want (it)." It's useful to drive off annoying souvenir sellers. :wink:

And yes, Beijing kaoya (duck) is effin' yummy!
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:08 pm

But speaking of ... It may be useful to know that there are different spelling systems. It can all be very confusing.

For example, Peking is the spelling of Beijing using an older system of transliteration. So there's the Mandarin pronounciation of the written Chinese words for "northern capital" ... and then over the years there have been (at least) two different attempts to make the Mandarin pronounciation accesible using the western alphabet. "Peking" is the spelling using one of those systems, "Beijing" the spelling using the other. Both spellings should be pronounced the same, since they both refer to the same spoken words in Mandarin. Of course, accents will screw it all up for a westerner, but in theory, there's a standard way to pronounce "northern capital".

"Pinyin" is the name of the system of transliteration from Mandarin to the Roman alphabet used in much of the world right now. Some of what Ben said would be spelled differently in "official" pinyin: "Wo shi meiguoren" instead of "Wo su mei-kwo ren" ... but they'd both be transliterations of the same Chinese characters and both be pronounced the same, given a particular accent.

Now pinyin doesn't necessarily make sense, as far as how an English speaker would expect the spelling to sound, but street signs and what-not are in both Chinese and pinyin in Beijing, so if you know the rules of pinyin pronunciation, you don't have be able to read any Chinese or know what the names mean to be able to pronounce them. (minus the tones, but i could never keep those straight anyway ... )

I dunno, though ... it's all kind of hopeless. I'd say something in Chinese, and the natives would look at me funny, then a Chinese-American friend of mine would say the exact same thing -- I swear! -- and they'd understand her. :lol:
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:38 am

Eric is right about the "Pinyin" system. For most Mandarin speakers who can speak and read English, a lot of times, Pinyin doesn't make sense. But, hey, what can I do against that. :lol:

@Ginny, just vacation.

By the way, when you go shopping there, look for a place called the "Silk Road". It's a street market. While most items are considered cheap by American standard (that's what my American companion told me when we were there), haggling will lower it considerably. Here's a technique, when they throw you a price, lower it by 50%. Naturally, they would refuse, but keep haggling for that 50%. After a couple of refusal, pretend to move away, you'll probably get around 25%-35% discount. The way see it, most foreigners got about 10%-15% discount. Just make sure that you really want to buy the item, otherwise you'd be walking away with a lot of curses.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:41 pm

Eric--thanks for the explanation!

Ben--here's the program for the Forbidden City Hall as of now:

Three Pieces------------------Ludwig Mauer
1. Maestoso alla Marcia
2. Andante con moto
3. Allegro grazioso, un poco agitato

Tis the Gift to be Simple---------------------organ setting Robert Lau
1. Variation I arr. Ed Bach
2. Variation II
3. Variation III

Suite No. 1 (Fan Shen Dao Qing)---------------Ye Zheng Kai

The Great Fugue in G minor-----------------Johann Sebastien Bach
arr. Stephen Denroche

Overture from The Barber of Seville-----------Cioacchina Rossini
arr. David Sabourin

INTERMISSION

St. Louis Blues------------------------W.C. Handy

Nice Work if You Can Get It--------------George Gershwin

Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most--------Wolf and Landesman

Whisper Not---------------------------Benny Golson

A Foggy Day-------------------------George Gershwin

Take Five----------------------------Brubeck and Desmond

Here Comes That Rainy Day------------Jim Van Heusen

We think they are going to possibly request more jazz, but that's our proposed program at the moment. For the other concerts some of this will be repeated and we will replace some of these pieces with others in our repertoire to mix it up a little. :) ~Ginny

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:56 am

Wow! That's a lot of songs. How long would that take?
And are you guys gonna give away free CDs of your performances? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:54 pm

Ben, I'm not really sure how long it is. Probably close to 2hrs with intermission...I don't know anything about whether any of the shows will be recorded, but if they are you and you want a recording I'll make sure you get it, ok? :) ~Ginny

Return to “The Cafe”