Welcome!

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:29 pm

Thanks, ctakim.

Oh, I totally wish I'd remembered to look for the maglev train when I got to Pu Dong airport. I was so thwacked from the trip, though ... and I was immediately accosted by a taxi driver who charged too much to take me to my hotel. Heheh. The classic first experience in a foreign country, I guess.

Anyway, I forgot about the maglev. I did see it pass us on the way to town, though. It was moving pretty damn fast.

Uploading the pics will take a while, maybe another week to get them all up, but you can see what I've got so far <a href='http://soltruna.com/gallery/china' target='_blank'>here</a>.
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

Boo Radley
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Boo Radley » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:50 pm

I've been listening to music for most of my 50 years. Brought up on Big Band and Jazz, turned to Rock back when the Fab Four came out and then switched to Classical about 15 years ago.
But I had never had a song give me the... shivers... until I heard "Passage" last Sunday morning.
I was up in my workroom and it was about 12:30 AM and I was half listening to the Folk program on the local Classical station, when I heard this ethereal voice, a cappela, sing the words, "I died in a car crash, two days ago...".
I sat there dumbfounded.
Immedately after the song ended, I grabbed a pen, hoping against hope that the DJ hadn't already announced the artist and wasn't going to repeat it.
"Back announce! Back Announce! Come on you bastiche, BACK ANNOUNCE!" But no...he went into the next song. And then a song after that. And then, HE BACK ANNOUNCES ALL THREE SONGS, and I find out that the artist who sang so beautifully is named Vennatang.
Vennatang? What kind of a new age name is Vennatang?
Did I mention that the DJ talks kind of fast?
So, I go downstairs, fire up the computer, log on to the station's website and find that her name was, well, we all know who she is, don't we?
I am totally enamored of her voice and I can't believe that she isn't getting major airplay out there.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:05 am

Hi Boo Radley!
Welcome to the club of fans/people who think Vienna deserves much more airplay. :) I'm glad that d.j. back-announced everything so you could join us here!
~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Jess
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Jess » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:32 am

Hey, I'm Jess. I just got introduced to how terrific Vienna Teng was YESTERDAY, if y'all can believe that. Amazingly, I found out I'm in a town where she plays a lot--Ann Arbor--but I'm currently in Japan right now studying abroad, so I'm hoping she graces Ann Arbor with her presence again come summer 2005-2006, 'cause I'd love to hear her live.

Originally my mother wanted to hear her music for that rendition of "Green Island Serenade" she did on NPR--that's a song she used to sing to me when I was a baby, but unfortunately the link was dead, so we never found out until now.

When I get back home, I'll be looking up the CDs like mad. I've perused the samples so far on the homepage, and so far "Harbor" and "Lullaby for a Stormy Night" are fast favorites. I like "Atheist's Christmas Carol" too--the music and the vocals work there so beautifully.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting fellow Vienna fans! Just posted to say hi!

Steve J
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve J » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:14 pm

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Jess! Welcome to the Gang/Club/Group/whatever we are called. Glad to have you here. You'll probably bump in to a few of us at shows sometime in the future.

Good luck with the overseas studying!
:)
Loyal fan/groupie/friend/ETC. of Vienna Teng, Kyler England & Taylor Roberts Music (Now "Glorydive").

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:14 am

Hey Jess,
Where are you in Japan? I'll be visiting later this month and bringin some Vienna CDs for gifts. Maybe I can save a set for you?
Ann Arbor- I'm jealous! :>

And welcome.

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Jess
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Jess » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:16 pm

Scot--

I'm currently in Tokyo, and I'd love a set. :) Thank you so much!

Well, I grew up in Ann Arbor. At least you've seen Vienna, and that makes me jealous already. I see she's got a performance at the Ark and I'm kicking myself for not being there, since I'm not heading home until July.

racerabbit
Cool Stranger

Postby racerabbit » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:10 pm

Does it make me a bad person to admit that I first picked up her cd to listen to because I thought she was cute? I was surfing a local music venue's website when I came across her listed as an upcoming artist. I made note of her name, and then promptly forgot about her for almost a year. It wasn't until I was in a Barnes & Noble, browsing the music store, that I remembered her again. Warm Strangers was at one of the listening stands, so I gave it a listen, and really, really, really liked it.

After digging around I finally located Waking Hour, and bought both of them on the spot. Since then I have gotten to see her perform live at the Variety Playhouse here in Atlanta, and my enjoyment of her music grows with every listen of her cd's.
"When you hear a sound like broken glass
That's my heart every time that girl walks past
When you hear a sound like the rush of wind
It's just me catching my breath again"
- Broken Glass
David Francey

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:09 pm

Nah, it doesn't make you bad. Welcome to the forums, racerabbit. I'm glad you're enjoying the cds! ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

racerabbit
Cool Stranger

Postby racerabbit » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:14 pm

Oh, good, because that is the same way I discovered Heather Nova.
"When you hear a sound like broken glass

That's my heart every time that girl walks past

When you hear a sound like the rush of wind

It's just me catching my breath again"

- Broken Glass

David Francey

elusiveness
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby elusiveness » Tue May 24, 2005 4:47 pm

Hi all !

A little "hello" from both France and Switzerland (I'm french and I study in Switzerland ;)) .. so yay, a "beret / good wine / french baguette" girl on this board :lol:
I've discovered Vienna and her musical sphere few times ago while I was surfing the web, searching for some good female singer-songwriter-pianist-etc.
I don't know how I got involved in this "Vienna adventure", maybe thanks to someone who told me "ok you like this artist ? then you'll like Vienna, try her music !" ... and this person was true and I have to thank her for that ... I was pretty astonished by the warmth of Vienna's voice, the deepness of the lyrics (especially "Passage" ... amazing !), and of course the music ... as a piano & violin die-hard fan, I was very pleased with the melodies !
I have "Waking Hour" and I'm still looking forward to having my "Warm Strangers" copy, because of the "3 weeks shipping delivery" over here <_<

Anyway, I do hope I'll have the opportunity to see Vienna live one day in Switzerland, it would be great !!

ps : sorry for my bad english and the mistakes I would be able to do, but I don't speak english fluently ;)
<b><i><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>yes I know this story has to end ...<br>never groped for a connection, never hoped for more affection ...</span></i></b>

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Tue May 24, 2005 7:26 pm

Welcome, Ms. Elusive.
Good to have you here! Where in Switzerland are you?

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

elusiveness
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby elusiveness » Thu May 26, 2005 11:07 am

Thanx for your welcome ;)

I'm in Lausanne. A beautiful city, very peaceful, between the Alps and the lake, I love it :)
What about you ?
<b><i><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>yes I know this story has to end ...<br>never groped for a connection, never hoped for more affection ...</span></i></b>

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu May 26, 2005 5:28 pm

Ah yes, Lausanne. I agree -nice place. I spent a summer once in Geneva and spent weekends mostly touring Switzerland.
(Well, that and testing all the local chocolates I could find- my absolute favorite is the box of orange twigs from the Coop. Mmmmm.)

Now, I am in New Mexico, but headed to Hawaii this summer - a big diference it will be! :>

scot

Steve J
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve J » Fri May 27, 2005 1:42 pm

Yes Rabbit, that makes you a very very bad person. You should have known that I, myself, am the only one who should be allowed to think she is cute or ever buy anyone's CD's because they are cute. You should never again think anyone is cute or act on impulses like that. That type of behavior is reserved for ME.
:P
Welcome to the forum anyway though, even though you have been really really bad.
:)
Loyal fan/groupie/friend/ETC. of Vienna Teng, Kyler England & Taylor Roberts Music (Now "Glorydive").

Return to “The Cafe”