Welcome!

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:18 am

Welcome, Cooler.

I only found my way to one place that sold CDs during my recent German trip, and, alas, no Teng. There were about 1000 people at each of the two shows I saw there, though. So, I'm sure she's gaining new fans, 1000 at a time! :)

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Scot wrote:<snip> There were about 1000 people at each of the two shows I saw there, though. So, I'm sure she's gaining new fans <snip>

Vienna seems firmly entrenched in the group of American musicians with distinct foreign followings, such as Tracy Chapman (France) and Josh Ritter (Ireland). Vienna's is apparently primarily German, which totally makes sense in terms of the classical influences on her music. Good for her! Europe (especially France) has been a real blessing for many American jazz artists over the years, too. I've never attended a show of Vienna's with 1000 people in the audience. However, it is a rule that if I attend one outside of NYC, there will be some sort of weather disturbance -- arctic cold, rain and pea-soup fog, sleet storm -- that would have an effect on attendance, and the NYC shows have been the best attended. (Rain & fog may sound trivial, but not on a Hamptons summer weekend.)

In terms of gaining fans, there was an earlier thread a while back about Vienna's Facebook following, which has grown from about 6,000 to 17,000 over the last year and a half. At the time of the thread this number was around 12,000 and having a growth spurt which somebody attributed to the new Facebook architecture which automatically adds profile favorites to your "likes" list, and a lot of such conversions were presumably going on then. Well, for whatever reason, the number of FBers "liking" Vienna continues to rise at a rapid clip, quite in contrast to many other musicians I "like" there. Of course, there could still be flukey things going on like the shift of FB toward an older demographic (and Vienna has an all-ages audience), but the simplest hypothesis is that Inland Territory, a year and a half of almost incessant touring behind it, TMAV, and the continued tendency of Vienna's fans to spread the word including online, are resulting in continued solid growth in awareness of Vienna's music. I have little idea if this is translating into other good things, although Vienna made a comment in print a few months back about a strategy of playing some larger venues paying off on this tour. I certainly would like to think that this is a real trend. Presumably her management gets stats from FB that tell them what it all means--maybe it's geographical, for instance. Can't think of any way that it's bad.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:20 pm

Fred wrote:In terms of gaining fans, there was an earlier thread a while back about Vienna's Facebook following, which has grown from about 6,000 to 17,000 over the last year and a half. At the time of the thread this number was around 12,000 and having a growth spurt which somebody attributed to the new Facebook architecture which automatically adds profile favorites to your "likes" list, and a lot of such conversions were presumably going on then. Well, for whatever reason, the number of FBers "liking" Vienna continues to rise at a rapid clip, quite in contrast to many other musicians I "like" there. Of course, there could still be flukey things going on like the shift of FB toward an older demographic (and Vienna has an all-ages audience), but the simplest hypothesis is that Inland Territory, a year and a half of almost incessant touring behind it, TMAV, and the continued tendency of Vienna's fans to spread the word including online, are resulting in continued solid growth in awareness of Vienna's music. I have little idea if this is translating into other good things, although Vienna made a comment in print a few months back about a strategy of playing some larger venues paying off on this tour. I certainly would like to think that this is a real trend. Presumably her management gets stats from FB that tell them what it all means--maybe it's geographical, for instance. Can't think of any way that it's bad.

I very much enjoyed watching VT's number of Twitter followers break 4000 after her amazing appearance at TEDxBoulder. "Vienna" was a trending word on the #TEDxBoulder stream.

But yes, the fans have been pretty good about spreading the music and bringing new people to shows. It really takes one or two shows to become a fan :wink:
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Godiago
Howdy, Stranger!

Texas in the Cafe

Postby Godiago » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Greetings all!!!

Brian from Texas chiming into this wonderous little forum. I have been a Vienna fan for about a year and a a half or so. First exposure was through Pandora in the Sarah McLachlan station. It was either Harbor or My Medea that was played and I quickly stopped what I was working on concentrated on the enchanting voice I was hearing. I was immediately mesmerized and quickly became a fan, not only of her voice but of her lyrics and, amazingly most importantly, her musicianship. I am in no way, shape or form, a musician in any aspect of the word. I have trouble clapping to a good beat let alone knowing the nuancies of playing an instument. I do notice an extremely talented musician when I hear one though and Vienna is definately that.

I am happy to say that I will finally be going to see her perform live when she makes her way to Dallas in April. Will be taking my wife for a much needed Date night.

I have looked over the boards and am throughly amazed at the passion and dedication many of you have toward Vienna and her music. I hope to 1. understand much of what you all are saying (i.e. songs in different keys, etc.) and 2. contribute what I can, when I can.

Thanks for welcoming me to such a close knit community.

Brian
aka Godiago

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Re: Texas in the Cafe

Postby aaparallel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Godiago wrote:Greetings all!!!

Brian from Texas chiming into this wonderous little forum. I have been a Vienna fan for about a year and a a half or so. First exposure was through Pandora in the Sarah McLachlan station. It was either Harbor or My Medea that was played and I quickly stopped what I was working on concentrated on the enchanting voice I was hearing. I was immediately mesmerized and quickly became a fan, not only of her voice but of her lyrics and, amazingly most importantly, her musicianship. I am in no way, shape or form, a musician in any aspect of the word. I have trouble clapping to a good beat let alone knowing the nuancies of playing an instument. I do notice an extremely talented musician when I hear one though and Vienna is definately that.

I am happy to say that I will finally be going to see her perform live when she makes her way to Dallas in April. Will be taking my wife for a much needed Date night.

I have looked over the boards and am throughly amazed at the passion and dedication many of you have toward Vienna and her music. I hope to 1. understand much of what you all are saying (i.e. songs in different keys, etc.) and 2. contribute what I can, when I can.

Thanks for welcoming me to such a close knit community.

Brian
aka Godiago

Sweet intro, Godiago! (Seriously, I enjoyed how it covered so much so succinctly :D). Welcome, and I look forward to reading on the Dallas show and everything else you can contribute! And you'll probably make new friends/concert buddies at the show. That has happened at each show for me. :)
Last edited by aaparallel on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:34 am

Hey, Brian a/k/a Godiago! Welcome, and enjoy your first show! I wonder how many new fans come from Pandora; seems like a lot. I do (Tori Amos channel). Hope you like the forum, too. Active posters always wanted!

arkobalino
Howdy, Stranger!

Newbie Johanna here

Postby arkobalino » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Hello everyone my name is Johanna Casey and I'm pretty new here in the community. I look forward learning new things here as well as sharing new ideas with you all

Fred
Tengster

Re: Newbie Johanna here

Postby Fred » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:13 am

arkobalino wrote:Hello everyone my name is Johanna Casey and I'm pretty new here in the community. I look forward learning new things here as well as sharing new ideas with you all

Nice to see you on the forum, Johanna, hope to hear more from you! :)

Angey
Howdy, Stranger!

Re: Welcome!

Postby Angey » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:52 am

Wow, I feel like a total party crasher. haha! Someone posted a link in the ConcertWindow chat this evening and it brought me here. It's like an underground world I didn't know existed and just happened to fall into! LOL
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched. but are felt in the heart." ~Helen Keller

chigaijin
Warm Stranger

Postby chigaijin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 am

Welcome to the Warm Strangers rabbit hole, Angey!

Angey
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Angey » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:18 am

Thank you! Yall have been down here a long time. :shock:
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched. but are felt in the heart." ~Helen Keller

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 pm

chigaijin wrote:Welcome to the Warm Strangers rabbit hole, Angey!

Ooooh, ooooh! I call dibs on being the Mad Hatter!

Welcome, Angey!
Chris

thegringo
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby thegringo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Hi, super thrilled to be here. Even though I am an active internet user and gushing Vienna Teng fan, I never put the two hobbies together. Go figure. Glad a place like this exists.

I am 27. My parents exposed me to Ms. Vienna Teng back in 2002 when her first album came out and was picked up on an internet radio channel they listened to, called Radio Paradise. I was 15, and at boarding school, and while their tastes moved on to other eclectic independent artists, something about Ms. Teng's ability to weave both poetry and plot together, with that voice that's bigger than life, that huge range, that singer-songwriter sheer talent, and that incredible multi-level melodic depth that every one of her songs possesses has resonated and stuck with me ever since, even 13 years later. I love that her albums tend to be a theme; songs complimenting each other, subjects tending to know and interact with each other in the expanded universe of her music she builds and shares with us in her artist-to-audience stories. Her songs have made me laugh, made me cry, and made me think. I've been hooked on one after the other, sometimes for weeks at a time, since then. Her new album Aims is just incredible. I feel like while her earlier albums had some amazing songs mixed in with some good songs, Aims knocks every song out of the ballpark, on both topicality and sheer musical depth. They make me want to drive too fast in my car, or get up and dance in my seat, or march out of time.

About me. As I said, I am 27. I am a liberal atheist (hello, Atheist Christmas Carol, hello, City Hall!) I am a United States soldier of 4.5 years, (hooah) and web developer on the civilian side. I am currently a graduate student, with 9 months to go for both my commissioning as an officer and my graduation. We are throwing a lovely vintage party for the affair--with Ms. Teng in the playlist of course, even though she is not vintage--and I have inquired if she still does small affairs and would be interested to play, for payment of course. LOL. Maybe she'll send an autographed picture or something as a response. She's grown far too big for coffee house gigs by now, though most of the CDs I have signed from her are from such events.

Anyway, greetings, fellow Vienna Teng fans!

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:38 am

Welcome, thegringo! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear that you have loved VT's music from the beginning and found Aims to be a high point. I just admire Vienna's constant efforts to improve herself, and how often she succeeds. Great to see her so happy these days as well. Hope she can make your private event. :)

thegringo
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby thegringo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:09 am

aaparallel wrote:Welcome, thegringo! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear that you have loved VT's music from the beginning and found Aims to be a high point. I just admire Vienna's constant efforts to improve herself, and how often she succeeds. Great to see her so happy these days as well. Hope she can make your private event. :)

Thank you for the welcome! I hope so as well. I am glad to see her productive, happy, and innovative as ever!

Return to “The Cafe”