Dream a little dream...

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:36 am

tanthalas wrote:Anyway, Vienna came onstage while they were still setting up and commented, "That's a cool electronic keyboard." I replied, "Yeah, it's pretty awesome... it's in QWERTY!"

A++, WOULD LOL AGAIN. :)

I think I had a Vienna dream a couple of weeks ago but I don't remember specifics. :( I've had about four or five Vienna dreams thus far (not counting my dream of being worthy and lucky enough to perform onstage with her ;P).
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 pm

tanthalas wrote:Edit: To be clearer about the geekiness of the comment, it probably stems from all the conversations/debates my friends and I always had about keyboard layouts (qwerty vs. dvorak vs. blah...), which is a pretty important thing if your major/career/profession involves a lot of keyboarding. I must apologize for it still, since it doesn't nearly reach the levels of geekiness found in certain IM conversations about threads and semaphores... ;)

Random fact: I type in Dvorak. I learned QWERTY as a junior-high-schooler, but voluntarily switched to Dvorak in college. I'm curious, do you (or does anybody else here) use the Dvorak layout?

Threads and semaphores... lol, this brings back memories. You're obviously a computer programmer? (I am.) I use threads all the time... semaphores, on the other hand, seem purely academic to me since I've never needed them outside college. Of course my last semaphore algorithm assignment in college was hilarious. We had to submit solutions for a thing called the "unisex bathroom" problem. (It's a well-known exercise in college computer courses. See, geeks aren't entirely out of touch with life. ;)) I remember being particularly proud of my solution. :D

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:31 pm

Oh, I was referencing to this particular journal entry on echeng's webpage, which I found highly amusing.

Re: keyboard layouts. I'm a qwerty typer myself. Several of my close friends are Dvorak users, much to my frustration whenever I try to use their computers. Because of this and because of my desire to be more "cool" (i.e. nerdy), I'd tried to learn Dvorak on several occasions (and if I ever get stuck with a Dvorak layout on a computer, I can clunk out words at a higher rate than "press all the keys and delete the letters that don't belong in this word"). I ultimately gave up on Dvorak for several reasons:
- I already have like 95 wpm on QWERTY (even though it's not proper qwerty), so I wouldn't be gaining much in switching to Dvorak, not to mention having to deal with typing in the 30-50 wpm range (and much lower at the beginning) for a long while in Dvorak before getting as high up again
- VIM is my editor of choice, and VIM's commands are very much NOT Dvorak-friendly.
- I'd rather spend time learning to type on a Kinesis keyboard to save my wrists rather than switching to an entirely different keyboard layout.

Anyway, I'm glad my dream account at least amused one or two people... I told it to a couple of my CS friends and they just looked at me funny.

am.rock
Warm Stranger

Postby am.rock » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:05 pm

tanthalas wrote:Oh, I was referencing to
Anyway, I'm glad my dream account at least amused one or two people... I told it to a couple of my CS friends and they just looked at me funny.

see, this is because the story requires your friends to be in hte intersection of {music lover*},{cs} :) a much much smaller subset.

*music lover: musican or crazy, crazy music lover... not a pop top 40 listener.

Dreaming Pepper
Getting Stranger

Postby Dreaming Pepper » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:38 pm

I dreamt last night that Vienna was the opening act to the Chili Peppers. While Vienna is playing John, Anthony, Chad, and Flea sit behind me watching and listening captively to her playing. And during the main act, Flea comes out saying how much he loves Vienna's music in his crazy cool jump suit. And then they cover several of her songs.

Ahh what a fun and quircky dream.
Whoa.. I remembered my sign-in information!

echeng
Hot Stranger

Postby echeng » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:30 pm

tanthalas wrote:Oh, I was referencing to this particular journal entry on echeng's webpage, which I found highly amusing.

Damn! called out! ;)

tanthalas wrote:Re: keyboard layouts. I'm a qwerty typer myself. Several of my close friends are Dvorak users, much to my frustration whenever I try to use their computers. Because of this and because of my desire to be more "cool" (i.e. nerdy), I'd tried to learn Dvorak on several occasions (and if I ever get stuck with a Dvorak layout on a computer, I can clunk out words at a higher rate than "press all the keys and delete the letters that don't belong in this word").

I tried Dvorak during college and got up to around 30-35 WPM in a few days. But then I decided that it was more trouble than it was worth.

But yeah. High geek-cool factor for typing in Dvorak!
Eric H Cheng | http://echeng.com
(Note: Cheng. Not Miller! ;-) )

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:54 am

I used to set the keyboard on our shared workstations to dvorak when I needed to leave for a bit, but didn't want to close all my windows and log out. ;)

Cool geeky factor, always thought about learning it - never have.

My graduate advisor wrote the first Fortran compiler and he remains to this
day a two-finger (qwerty) typist. :>

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:31 am

Undreamt Dream #1630:

So, for whatever reason, I'm in the living room of a fairly large house with some other people (I think my family and maybe a few friends), and Vienna's getting ready to do a performance. She comes into the room, sits down at the piano, and starts banging on the piano to warm up. Literally: she's smacking her hands on the keys and not playing any sort of recognizable melody or scale whatsoever; it's pure noise. She suddenly stops playing and proceeds to mime communicating with an imaginary sound check person in the back, making all sorts of weird faces and exaggerated gestures. I decide to get up on a nearby leather couch and pretend to be Imaginary Sound Check Person. We go at it for a while, until Vienna whispers something that I can't make out or lip-read. She eventually gets up from the piano and motions for me to come closer, and once I do so, she whispers to me:

"It's drag time."

I have no idea what she means by this. My first thought is that she's talking about being a drag queen, but I can't see how that applies to me. Still, who was I to ignore the wishes of Vienna Teng? I grab a half-broken plastic "Happy New Year's" tiara with tinsel on it, place it on my head, and sit back to listen to Vienna play...

-Reileen, who is still wondering whether these dreams are a sign of having a fatal case of the fangirl flu

Reileen van Kaile

Dreaming Pepper
Getting Stranger

Postby Dreaming Pepper » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:57 am

Now that....now that....uhhh...

now that is a definitely weird dream.

and..

Undreamt Dream #1630

Have all these dreams been of Vienna or caused by her music?? :shock:

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:19 am

Dreaming Pepper wrote:
Undreamt Dream #1630

Have all these dreams been of Vienna or caused by her music?? :shock:

LOL, no. I was exaggerating for comic effect. ;P

Reileen van Kaile

am.rock
Warm Stranger

Postby am.rock » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:42 am

Reileen wrote:Undreamt Dream #1630:

So, for whatever reason, I'm in the living room of a fairly large house with some other people (I think my family and maybe a few friends), and Vienna's getting ready to do a performance. She comes into the room, sits down at the piano, and starts banging on the piano to warm up. Literally: she's smacking her hands on the keys and not playing any sort of recognizable melody or scale whatsoever; it's pure noise. She suddenly stops playing and proceeds to mime communicating with an imaginary sound check person in the back, making all sorts of weird faces and exaggerated gestures. I decide to get up on a nearby leather couch and pretend to be Imaginary Sound Check Person. We go at it for a while, until Vienna whispers something that I can't make out or lip-read. She eventually gets up from the piano and motions for me to come closer, and once I do so, she whispers to me:

"It's drag time."

I have no idea what she means by this. My first thought is that she's talking about being a drag queen, but I can't see how that applies to me. Still, who was I to ignore the wishes of Vienna Teng? I grab a half-broken plastic "Happy New Year's" tiara with tinsel on it, place it on my head, and sit back to listen to Vienna play...

-Reileen, who is still wondering whether these dreams are a sign of having a fatal case of the fangirl flu

You know this might be because in one live set she talks about doing a house show where it's so packed that they are sitting right up against the piano and she's sure she ended up spitting all over the closest in the audience. or something.

Dreaming Pepper
Getting Stranger

Postby Dreaming Pepper » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:04 pm

New dream from the euphoria from the concert last night:

I was still active in music, with a bunch of my friends, we toured with Vienna as the opening act. And in our closing act, Vienna enters early with Marika and Dina and we just jammed for 30 minutes. Piano, Violin and Viola (Dina is playing two at once. hey it's a dream anything can happen.), Cello, electric guitar, electric bass, drums, and vocals. And at the end of the show we recommenced with a longer jam.

:)

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Another VT Dreamer ...

Postby Walking Stranger » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:14 pm

deleted
Last edited by Walking Stranger on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

eirlys
Warm Stranger

Postby eirlys » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:38 pm

I've had only one with her in it; it probably had something to do with either the upcoming solo show I was going to see or constantly listening to her music before bedtime.

Basically, she was performing in some kind of dimly lit choir room, which happened to be underground and combined with a restaurant. I was afraid that I was going to miss the show, but for some reason I kept running around the strange building instead of going back to the room.

When I sit down, it happened to be right across from Vienna, who was at a small grand piano. No one seemed to mind. Then afterward...I was expected to help take down everything. I didn't understand why, but did it anyway. Maybe they really did mind that I was sitting there?...

asteroid
Warm Stranger

Postby asteroid » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:28 pm

I had always been unhappy that most singers make music videos but Vienna doesn't...

Thus one night I dreamt that she was making music video with a few cameramen in a small garden behind some old buildings. The garden contained nothing but thick, deep-green trees and bushes, and the scene was as silent and still as eternity. Vienna dressed in office lady style, serene and elegant.

I was watching aside, waiting to talk with her when she's done, and thinking where to put down her signature... Then she turned her face toward me ---- and suddenly it appeard an ugly old woman!!! I, although shocked by that apperance, still wanted to interview her, for she is a great musician. Then I don't know why I woke up...

I know it confirms me that I love an artist because of her talent and philosophy, instead of direct sensational attraction.
Vienna's volunteer agent on midomi.com

Return to “The Cafe”