press

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

mai-sie

Postby mai-sie » Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:40 am

Did you all catch the article on Vienna on sfgate today? I stumbled across it by chance. Though the photo they chose to use was, um...interesting, the article was quite positive. Go Vienna!! Congrats on all the good press coverage.

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:16 am

mai-sie wrote: Did you all catch the article on Vienna on sfgate today? I stumbled across it by chance. Though the photo they chose to use was, um...interesting, the article was quite positive. Go Vienna!! Congrats on all the good press coverage.

yeah ... the photo was ... um. yeah. :blink:

anyway, here's a link to it: <a href='http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/04/08/DD302866.DTL' target='_blank'>Songwriter finds her voice ...</a>
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

JadedJu

Postby JadedJu » Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:58 am

The article wasn't just in the online edition of SFGATE, but was in today's (4/8) print edition of the San Francisco Chronicle. It made my day to see it. Folks might want to try and get copies--I'm saving mine!

andrys
Cool Stranger

Postby andrys » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:26 am

Eric wrote:yeah ... the photo was ... um. yeah. :blink:

anyway, here's a link to it: <a href='http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/04/08/DD302866.DTL' target='_blank'>Songwriter finds her voice ...</a>

The photo at the link is part of a larger one they use in a special-feature box online, at <a href='http://www.sfgate.com/eguide/' target='_blank'>their Entertainment frontpage</a>.

The feature may be gone by the time people go to it, but there's the larger Image casual photo, with the following text or caption:

"Vienna Climbing
One reviewer calls her a cross between Chopin and Sarah McLachlan. With that kind of eyebrow-raising rep, the future looks bright for Stanford grad Vienna Teng (above), a former LAN switch designer who has made the transition from tech to music. Teng has already appeared on Letterman and her CD is climbing the Amazon charts."

A real boon to have the feature box, at any rate. But I think they're good for only one day and it changes at midnight, something like the Cinderella syndrome? :)
<a href='http://andrys.com' target='_blank'>Andrys</a>

Norm
Warm Stranger

Postby Norm » Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:13 pm

I believe Vienna said in one of her writings, something to the effect that she doesn't want to use sex or apperance to sell albums. But the picture on the SF Gate web site looks like they grabbed Vienna while she was doing her laundry. Photographs are very powerful. Anyone can be made to look good or bad. I like Adam's photographs of Vienna. BTW, when are we going to get a fresh batch?

Vienna
Warm Stranger

Postby Vienna » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:42 pm

In my defense, they didn't warn me that they'd be taking photos. They did pretty much catch me in the middle of doing laundry... :)

Guess now this means I have to style my hair and put on makeup every time I step out the door?

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:26 pm

it's not you that looks bad ... it's more the lighting and maybe the jpeg artifacts ... just looks weird.

Guess now this means I have to style my hair and put on makeup every time I step out the door?

o, the terrible burdens of superstardom. :P
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

mai-sie

Postby mai-sie » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:05 am

Just saw the hard copy of the article and photo today. The actual print version looked better--casual and natural Vienna. Somehow the online version came out weirder.

sandy

Postby sandy » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:55 am

Not living in the S.F. area but always keeping up with the news there I always click onto S.F. Gate to get the latest. I read the article, became curious then clicked onto your website and took a listen and liked what I heard. Bravo Vienna! I went to Border's today to pick up your CD and the clerk there advised me that I was the second person that day looking for it and was wondering what was up! So any exposure is good exposure! :D

Norm
Warm Stranger

Postby Norm » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:50 pm

Vienna wrote: Guess now this means I have to style my hair and put on makeup every time I step out the door?

No, you just need to have a couple different 8X10 publicity photos to hand out when someone wants a picture :rolleyes:

Part of your appeal is your lack of facade, accessibility, and friendliness.

Return to “The Cafe”