headphones

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:55 am

Wow, I never thought earphones can cost that much nowadays. I'm already cringing shelling out $10-$20 for a set of earphones. Are the sound quality of these earphones comparable to high-end headphones?
Always look on the bright side of life.

am.rock
Warm Stranger

Postby am.rock » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:53 am

not really! but you should ask yourself what purpose you use the headphones for. For example, while I use $150-$200 headphones at home, (I generally haven't settled on the ONE yet, much like my love life...) I use very cheap $10-$15 headphones while out and about. When I'm out, the noise of the outside world is so much it doesn't really matter. Similarily, I compress at 128kps, because I can't tell the differences when I'm out and about and walking. So you should ask yourself first: what do I use them for? before changing your buying habits.

In other news, have you (behelliom) see this?
http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

it's very cheap to build yourself, and pretty simple if you have any circuit making skills. people have had good things to say about them too!

Behelliom
Cool Stranger

Postby Behelliom » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:54 am

Aye I have seen those and I might make one myself at some point but I have no experience at all with that sort of thing. So it would probably be a few failed attempts before I got a good one.

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:11 am

am.rock wrote:not really! but you should ask yourself what purpose you use the headphones for. For example, while I use $150-$200 headphones at home, (I generally haven't settled on the ONE yet, much like my love life...) I use very cheap $10-$15 headphones while out and about. When I'm out, the noise of the outside world is so much it doesn't really matter. Similarily, I compress at 128kps, because I can't tell the differences when I'm out and about and walking. So you should ask yourself first: what do I use them for? before changing your buying habits.

Precisely, why I'm into cheap earphones. When I use my portable players, I'm most of the time engaged in physical activities such as cycling, jogging, or hiking. Or probably just strolling in the mall or commuting in trains or buses, sound quality doesn't come into play that much especially when you can hear your heart beating fast, your panting, or noise pollution. If it's just for home use, might as well invest in good speaker set. But if speakers means disturbing the neighbors, you might want to consider headphones instead.
Always look on the bright side of life.

am.rock
Warm Stranger

Postby am.rock » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:34 am

Behelliom wrote:Aye I have seen those and I might make one myself at some point but I have no experience at all with that sort of thing. So it would probably be a few failed attempts before I got a good one.

I'm actually going to try and build one soon (within the next month or two). i have a lot of experience doing basic soldering and such, so the project should take a couple of hours. when it gets around time, i'll send you a pm and see if you want one too. i'll just order 2x the parts; labor is free :)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:23 am

am.rock wrote:In other news, have you (behelliom) see this?
http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

it's very cheap to build yourself, and pretty simple if you have any circuit making skills. people have had good things to say about them too!

Sorry, I peaked even though I'm not behelliom. Thanks for the link - looks like a lot of fun to try....

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:43 am

Got my Etymotic ER-4P earphones last week. These things are awesome.
I was blown away by their sound quality and noise isolation. These
are definitely worth the splurge! Even on the iPod, I heard things I
never heard before - Marika whipsering one-liners to Vienna in between
songs, and I can clearly hear the (I'll still be here/You'll still be here)
in Lullabye which my normal headphone never quite separated well enough for me. I am very pleased wit these so far! Thanks for the recommenders for inspiring me to finally make the plunge and get them.

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

darthscsi
Warm Stranger

Postby darthscsi » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:55 am

A bit late and for a different listening environment, but I've been very happy with my Senheiser HD-580s. Quite a few people gave me a hard time for spending that much on earphones, but you mix them with Vienna's music and it all is worth it :).

Too bad they don't make them anymore.

am.rock
Warm Stranger

Postby am.rock » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:38 pm

Scot wrote:Got my Etymotic ER-4P earphones last week. These things are awesome.
I was blown away by their sound quality and noise isolation. These
are definitely worth the splurge! Even on the iPod, I heard things I
never heard before - Marika whipsering one-liners to Vienna in between
songs, and I can clearly hear the (I'll still be here/You'll still be here)
in Lullabye which my normal headphone never quite separated well enough for me. I am very pleased wit these so far! Thanks for the recommenders for inspiring me to finally make the plunge and get them.

scot

Yeah, I love listening to her stuff just a little bit too loudly. You can hear all sorts of things on the album versions. You can hear Vienna (and I can't believe I'm about to sound like an audiophile) breath in between phrases and lick her lips and all that stuff. More obviously, there's a little shaker percussion thing (or maybe the beater in a snare drum very softly) in a couple of tracks from the first cd. Especially in Daughter. Whoever mixed and mastered that first CD deserves many kudos for not following the loudness war.

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:22 pm

Interesting ... the tracks from the Soltruna WH were mostly mixed on headphones, so maybe it's not surprising that they sound good there. =)

Especially in Daughter. Whoever mixed and mastered that first CD deserves many kudos for not following the loudness war.

=) I heart Daughter. I love the song, that performance of it, and it is one track on WH that I'm proud of for my part in it — recording & mixing. Can't listen to it without getting shivers.

David Torres at DRT mastering is responsible for mastering on the Soltruna WH tracks and he did a beautiful, brilliant job. He saved several tracks from sounding completely horrible and made shine those tracks that were mixed decently. He actually uses Daughter as one of his downloadable "demo" tracks.

(Thanks for the kudos for my part. =)
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:15 am

Eric wrote:
=) I heart Daughter. I love the song, that performance of it, and it is one track on WH that I'm proud of for my part in it — recording & mixing. Can't listen to it without getting shivers.

Awesome work, Eric! Congrats and thanks! :>

s

am.rock
Warm Stranger

so offtopic

Postby am.rock » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:03 pm

David Torres at DRT mastering is responsible for mastering on the Soltruna WH tracks and he did a beautiful, brilliant job. He saved several tracks from sounding completely horrible and made shine those tracks that were mixed decently. He actually uses Daughter as one of his downloadable "demo" tracks.

(Thanks for the kudos for my part. =)

Woah, that's totally cool. I'm going to PM you before this gets more offtopic, but I really love the piano sounds you got in Daughter. I can hear the hammers hitting! Was this a grand? Upright? or synth? I'm guessing upright, with the mics inside the body..

Connecting this with some other stuff i read, does this mean you did some of the tracking while you and Vienna was still at Stanford, or was that someone else...I'm sorry, but this is the first time i actually talked to someone who tracked and mixed something that I really love listening to :)

Eric
Getting Stranger

Re: so offtopic

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:21 pm

am.rock wrote:Woah, that's totally cool. I'm going to PM you before this gets more offtopic, but I really love the piano sounds you got in Daughter. I can hear the hammers hitting! Was this a grand? Upright? or synth? I'm guessing upright, with the mics inside the body..

It was a Yamaha MIDI Baby Grand. We had two AKG C414s in mid-side configuration under the raised lid and a Neumann condenser (er, I forget which one) for vocals. While I wish I could say I was really going for the sound we got in Daughter, we used essentially the same set-up for every piano-vocal track, and the resulting recording was subtly different every time, so ... when it worked really well it was apparently luck. =) But yes, getting to hear the piano "breathe" was a nice benefit of close-miking like that.

Connecting this with some other stuff i read, does this mean you did some of the tracking while you and Vienna was still at Stanford, or was that someone else...I'm sorry, but this is the first time i actually talked to someone who tracked and mixed something that I really love listening to :)

Yup! The piano and most vocals on the original WH tracks were recorded at CCRMA's studio at Stanford. I think Vienna and David (Henry, producer of the renovated tracks for Virt's release of WH) also used the original piano track for their re-make of The Tower.

Scot wrote:Awesome work, Eric! Congrats and thanks! :>

Thanks, Scot. =)
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

legio_ix
Cool Stranger

amp

Postby legio_ix » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:18 am

I've just invested in a Cmoy Amp off ebay tailored to my headphones (Er6s) and WOW! There is such an improvement in sound quality its amazing! Sound is so much richer and every nuance in Viennas music stands out, its like hearing it for the first time - again.
I've got the servants' stair again. This place was built by mouldiewarps, for mouldiewarps and to the devil with lords and gentlemen.

legio_ix
Cool Stranger

New pair

Postby legio_ix » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:42 pm

well the ER6s have finally given up the ghost. There is a very silly configuration inside the plastic surround of the earphone itself where they've knotted the wire to stop pulls on it straining the soldered contact with the earphone. Upshot is that the wire inside the insulation broke, tried repairs by chopping and splicing but its not very good with audio wire.

So. back to looking for a new pair of earphones. Sort of tempted to get the same pair aagain, but I've a hankering to try some other pair. Anybody have an opinion? I thought about the Shure SE110 model...
I've got the servants' stair again. This place was built by mouldiewarps, for mouldiewarps and to the devil with lords and gentlemen.

Return to “The Cafe”