headphones

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

legio_ix
Cool Stranger

headphones

Postby legio_ix » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:25 pm

Hmm, not exactly about Vienna but connected! I'm shopping for a pair of headphones and wondered if anybody has any recommendations. I prefer the in-ear canal bud type phones and wondering if anybody has either Shure E2c headphones or Etymotic ER-6 phones, which are the two main ones i'm looking at. The description for the Shure ones (slightly cheaper :lol: ) is that they have "good bass slightly recessed mids and decent highs" which doesn't sound like it'd particularly favour Vienna’s music. Previously had Sony MDR-EX71SLB, and Panasonic HJE50 type headphones. They were all right but a bit flimsy and sound wasn't brilliant. I have a creative Zen vision M and most of my stuff is encoded at 160Kbps but I can up this if it’s worth it.

Hoping there's someone out there who understands the technobabble more than I do!

http://www.headphone.com/products/headp ... r-monitor/ seems to be the page for general comparisons if anybody is interested.

PS not looking to pay "too much" which equates to about $100 (still too much but ok when you consider the serious earbuds go up tp $1000!)
I've got the servants' stair again. This place was built by mouldiewarps, for mouldiewarps and to the devil with lords and gentlemen.

Napalm
Cool Stranger

Postby Napalm » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:58 am

I have the Etymotic ER6's and I think they're fantastic when you want some noise isolation.

I also have a pair of Grado SR80's. I give the nod to the Grado's just every so slightly over the ER6's with all things being equal and in a non-noisy environment. They sound closer to my JM Lab speakers; however, if you're going canal-buds...you can't go wrong with the ER6's. They're the portable ones I bring everywhere. I keep my Grados at home for the most part.

legio_ix
Cool Stranger

headphones

Postby legio_ix » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:22 pm

cheers for the input, Etymotic ER6 on order, I figured they had a slightly better reputation than the Shure ones.
I've got the servants' stair again. This place was built by mouldiewarps, for mouldiewarps and to the devil with lords and gentlemen.

Nummie
Warm Stranger

Postby Nummie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:18 pm

The rating on that website is very subjective because they sell and test the products...

A higher price and higher rating are exactly the same.. looks fishy but I trust you that they sound great... nevertheless I rather browse arround on the web for serious tests.

I myself don't like the feel of in-ear pieces, the earbuds are more comphy :)

Behelliom
Cool Stranger

Postby Behelliom » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:56 am

I use these:

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio ... WAodshVN5w

I wanted good headphones for isolation listening, since I'm often in libraries or public and don't want to bother other people or vise versa. I found the sound on these to be excellent they are my favorite of the closed headphones I've heard so far. I generally use VT as my benchmark. :D Read the reviews if you want more detail, but I can tell you for sure none of those people are fakes just put a CD in and plug into a nice amp and your in heaven. Super comfortable, just a tad heavy but they fit my larger head and ears snuggly without feeling like I'm in a vice. Also they are very durable, I can't tell you how many times I've accidently dropped them.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:19 am

Napalm wrote:I have the Etymotic ER6's and I think they're fantastic when you want some noise isolation.

do you have any advice on the 6 vs. the 6i series?

Thanks,

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

legio_ix
Cool Stranger

headphones

Postby legio_ix » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:43 am

yeah I know, nummie, I didn't buy off that site, way too expensive!! It was just the only site I could find that listed a good number of headphones together to allow comparisons, I read through hours of reccomendations before buying. I posted on here cos I figured people here might be using VT as a benchmark :D which is what I wanted. I can't use the earbud ones, have tried loads of them but my ears are just too small :D They just fall out or if you wedge them in, they hurt like hell after half an hour.

Scot as far as I know, the 6i series was developed very much with the Ipod in mind. I think they have extended bass over the normal 6 series to boost the lousy sound you get out of an Ipod. I have a Creative which I've found to be much more reliable than pods, although Creative are getting worse and worse. Archos or Sony next time I think :(

Behelliom.. (does that sound familliar? Sparhawk perhaps?) I would get proper headphones 'cept they're just too big for me. You get more bang for your buck out of headband type (simply cos they're bigger so the tech doesn't have to be so small) but I value the portability :D I also use one ear only a lot :D

am.rock
Warm Stranger

Re: headphones

Postby am.rock » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:14 pm

legio_ix wrote:Behelliom.. (does that sound familliar? Sparhawk perhaps?)

It's from that series, it's that gem that has unlimited power which they found to save the queen, and then they threw it out. i think.

On topic, I've heard the ER-6 and I think they are really quite good. At this point, if you're considering between the Shure and those, you're already about a few hundred % above the average sony headphones. It doesn't really matter. You're entering audiophile and pro-audio space, and at this point your sound reproduction system is going to start entering the equation (eg, what's your digital-to-audio converters?). Anyway, now you can turn it up and hear the hammers hitting the piano which sounds so cool. (I want to applaud whoever engineered Vienna's CD's, especially Waking Hour. Totally unsmashed mastering, as well.)

shawn
Hot Stranger

Re: headphones

Postby shawn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:11 pm

legio_ix wrote:I posted on here cos I figured people here might be using VT as a benchmark :D which is what I wanted.

Funny you should mention that. A friend of mine at work builds speakers for a hobby, and another friend of mind at work has a pair of the first guy's speakers at home. They've both been using VT CDs for testing purposes. 8)

I'm afraid I can't be of much help headphone-wise, as I'm the sort who can't stand having anything inserted in my ears. Regular earbuds drive me nuts; the in-ear canal type would be like a torture device for me. I like the Sennheiser HD590's that I've had for a few years now, but they're discontinued, and the open-air style isn't usable everywhere. Those Audio-Technicas sound like they could be good if I ever needed a closed-earcup style headphone.

cedar
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby cedar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:22 am

Hi

I just wanted to jump in on the conversation. I’m new to group…. Hi :wink: . I’ve been trying out a pair of the Etymotic Headphones for about a month now, the ER4p series. I’ve got this love / hate relationship with them right now. I’m also new to high-end headphones so keep that in mind. The low end response is the issue, it seems to depend on the recording, and it drives me crazy how can it be so perfect for some CD’s and so very bad (distortion) on others. Fortunately Vienna’s recordings sound outstanding. I swear she is whispering in my ear at times. John Mayer’s new album I can’t listen to with my ER4’s. I even purchased a headphone amp, I thought it would help, but didn’t. (A side note: the Headphone amp has taken my Grado 80’s to a new level!!! Wow). I probably would have been better off getting the 6i’s.

I find the noise isolation to be outstanding, but it takes some getting used to. It blocks the outside noises but introduces some new internal noises that I’m not used to. I wear them at work sometimes when I need to focus, and all other distracts are gone. My co-workers hate it when I wear the headphones, because I can not hear them, or the phone, or the fire alarm…..

I’m glad I have them, but they are not perfect for everything I listen to.
That’s all I got. Cheers

Cedar

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:49 am

Hi Cedar,

Welcome to the forums! I have the Grado 125s, and a person on another forum mentioned that the HeadRoom Total BitHead amp would be a great match for the 125s. What amp do you have? How exactly does it "take your 80s to a new level"? The 125s are crystal clear, but a bit lacking in bass. I actually listened to the 80s, 125s, 325s, and RS1s all in one sitting before deciding that the 125s were the best, regardless of price. The RS1s, at 4 times the price of the 125s, didn't sound "better" to me, they just sounded different, warmer and less clear than the 125s.

Sorry for being off-topic of the in-ear phones.

Klaorman

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:41 am

Thanks, legio,

I've had these 'phones in my mental list for a while- nice to hear some
personal strong recomendations. I mainly would use them with an iPod,
so the 6i might be the better choice. I also have a neuros unit which I use
to record mostly- since it's significantly larger than the iPod, although I like the extra features (FM receiver and transmitter).

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Napalm
Cool Stranger

Postby Napalm » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:00 am

I bought my ER6's before the ER6i's were introduced, so I don't know how they'll fair against each other. Since the ipod is a bit anemic without really cranking the volume (then it introduces a ton of distortion), I bet the ER6i's are worth getting over the ER6 if that's your main source.

My source is mainly an M-Audio Revolution soundcard. The clarity from it is out-f'in-standing for a sub < $100 card. I highly recommend this to anybody out there as well. Forget the gaming benchmarks and the 2 or 3 fps hit you may take...it's well worth it for the audio bliss. I recently upgraded my office machine to have an M-Audio card as well. heh.

legio_ix
Cool Stranger

headphones

Postby legio_ix » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:03 pm

ER6s arrived. Sound is CRYSTAL clear :D On the bad side they don't seem to go that loud compared to my other headphones. Perhaps I need to learn to insert them properly. I guess these are going to prove pretty good for VT on the basis they are so clear, so high bitrate should bring out a little better quality on her beautiful voice. kinda nervous with walking round with headphones costing a quarter of the player itself tho.

digital-to-audio converters? No clue. I use a Creative Zen Vision M as my portable player (European version and firmware) and my HiFi (some panasonic generic but pretty new specs and 100W rms on the speaker output with supprisingly very little distortion at high sound levels) when at home.

PS its Bhelliom not Behelliom :D

Behelliom
Cool Stranger

Postby Behelliom » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:10 am

Aye I spelled it wrong long ago, but for some reason I kept it that way. Since it's my usual username. Enjoy those headphones man, you may need a preamp to get a good volume. I know my Ipod is a little weak on volume when I'm out and about with my A900's on. I have yet to find one for a reasonable price and good quality. I guess I just have a hard time spending half the price of the cans for a little preamp.

Return to “The Cafe”