Anyone read any good books lately?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:51 pm

Ang Mo wrote: I better gain some knowledge of something first though.

:lol:
Chris

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Saijo's recipe in his book for Trout Bone Garbage Soup is quite creative:

Perhaps you are lucky enough to have the Golden Trout of the high country for supper. Fresh caught. Golden sided with reddish strip down middle and parr marks superimposed. Bright red detail down middle of whitish belly. Light salmon colored flesh. Delicate flavor. Now, there are the bones, fins, and head, the skin, and some flesh, lying in the pan in a butter and fish oil sauce left from the cooking. Is it garbage, or the base for a soup? This soup will clean the pan also. Add water to pan and set soup on fire or stove to boil, then simmer. Slice fresh ginger thin and throw into the soup. Garlic and onion, too. Wild onion if you come across any. If you had lemon slices with the fish, throw them into the soup also, rind and all. Throw in any othe garbage that might add flavor. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and soy sauce. A pinch of cayenne. Simmer till the flavor from all ingredients has passed into the soup. You will be the judge of that. Drink soup through teeth to sieve out bones and garbage. A truly bracing soup outdoors.

Here is a picture of the beautiful Golden Trout. I am suprised Mr. Cheng had never photographed one of these beauties. Maybe because it is a freshwater species.

--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

spyfferoni
Warm Stranger

Postby spyfferoni » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:10 am

Well, I took some advice from this thread, and I read The Rape of Nanking. It was very interesting and well written. I'm sorry that the author, Iris Chang, is not around to write anymore books like that. I took A. P. US history in High school, and I don't remember learning anything about the Rape of Nanking. I am glad I read the book and I hope that the world can continue learning from books like this, as I did. It is only through acknowledging our mistakes that we can learn from them and keep history from repeating itself. I have to admit that this book made me sick to my stomach in some parts, but I believe I am a better person for reading it.

Tyffanie

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:26 am

Well said, Tyffanie. Thanks.

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:07 am

About a month ago, I attended a book signing event at Booksmith up in Haight-Ashbury. The guest that night was Janis Ian, who has just released her new autobiography, “Society’s Child.”

I’ll make no pretense of objectivity. I love Janis Ian. I’ve loved her for more than thirty years, longer than most of you have been alive. Her 1975 masterpiece album, “Between The Lines,” is easily one of my top five favorite albums of all time. When I first met her, back in May of 05, I told her, “You have no idea how many bad times you’ve seen me through.”

Lord knows, Janis has seen her share of hard times. At fifteen, she had her first hit with the song “Society’s Child,” about an interracial romance. The song was a hit even though half the radio stations in the country refused to play it. Within a short time, she was all but forgotten. Yet she staged an impressive comeback with “Stars” in 1973, and “Between The Lines” in 1975.

And then her life began to spin out of control. After a long affair with a woman, Janis married the woman’s ex-husband. He was brilliant, but psychotic and abusive. Her trusted long-time accountant stole her money and never paid her income taxes. The IRS agent - nearly as psychotic as her husband - demanded every dime she had or would make, reducing her to poverty. In time, she made enough to pay off the IRS, and also met the woman who became her devoted partner.

There are some songwriters who, while able to write brilliant lyrics, lack the ability to write even serviceable prose. Janis is certainly not one of them. Like Vienna, she is a brilliant writer. Her accounts of the music scene in the sixties and seventies are thrilling. Her memories of Jimi Hendrix, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, and Bruce Springsteen are unforgettable. When her life suddenly spins out of control, she takes the reader on an anguishing journey of fear and heartbreak. Her eventual triumph over the hard times makes one want to stand up and cheer.

When Janis signed my copy, I told her, “There is one young singer-songwriter I admire above all others. In fact, I tell people she is the most brilliant singer-songwriter I’ve heard since Janis Ian.”

“Really?” Janis replied. “Who?”

“Vienna Teng.”

Janis smiled. “You’re about the fifth person on this tour who’s mentioned her. I checked out her website one night, but didn’t have time to listen to her music. I’m going to have to make time for her sometime soon.”

We ended the evening with a picture of the two of us:

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:12 am

Vienna's Twitter entry, 9/2/09

Spent the afternoon writing & hanging out with the one & only Janis Ian. What an incredible lady. I hope I'm that cool when I grow up...

:) I'm so glad they met. Vienna and Janis are the two singer-songwriters I admire above all others.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:36 pm

rahau wrote:Vienna's Twitter entry, 9/2/09

Spent the afternoon writing & hanging out with the one & only Janis Ian. What an incredible lady. I hope I'm that cool when I grow up...

:) I'm so glad they met. Vienna and Janis are the two singer-songwriters I admire above all others.

And hopefully Janis has now had some time to give Vienna's recorded works a listen! :D

It seems Vienna has been spending a lot of time in Nashville lately. It will be interesting to see if her next round of newly written and recorded music takes on any "Nashville influence." Such a great music city, Nashville.
Chris

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:01 am

rahau wrote:Vienna's Twitter entry, 9/2/09

I'm not that selective, I guess, but they are certainly both in my pantheon, along with Richard Thompson, Richard Shindell, Dar Williams, Joe Henry, Neil Young, Jackson Browne, and so forth. Not a lot of 30-year-olds in that group.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:49 am

Following up on Janis Ian, there's a nice long interview with performances in the WFUV archive, which I heard as a rebroadcast a couple of months ago. She's great, and John Platt, as usual, does a great interview.

Return to “The Cafe”