Vienna's international popularity?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Jonathan Sanders
Warm Stranger

Postby Jonathan Sanders » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:57 am

For a numbers nerd like me, that page was heaven ... I can't stop checking my site's tracking data. And hell, mine's only been live for two weeks, and has had 80% of its visitors in the last two days ;)

romx
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby romx » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:37 pm

At least one fan in Russia :)

I find a Vienna's songs (Gravity and Daughter) at Pandora Box webservice (http://pandora.com) and it was a "love at first sight".

It's not too easy to get CD from Amazon to Russia (weird russian postal service, grr), but I got Vienna's music, don't ask me how :-]

Please find a little bubble at a big wild;) Russia at your Google Analytics map. It's me!

ShaynePepper
Warm Stranger

Postby ShaynePepper » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:01 am

I signed up for the Google Analytics, but it's not working yet. Hopefully soon! Thanks for introducing me to it.

AegisMode
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby AegisMode » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:04 am

Kenji wrote:I can add a bit about Taiwan from my personal experience. I have been working in Taipei for about 6 months and may end up staying there for a couple of more years. I found her Waking Hour CD at a few places. There is a big bookstore chain called Eslite and they had a few of her Waking Hour CD's at their big store in Taipei, near the world's tallest 101 bldg. I bought a couple and gave it to Vienna and Paul too, since they had an insert in Chinese. I also found the Waking Hour CD at a few other places, a music kiosk at the CKS airport gift store (although not there the last time I was at CKS a couple of weeks ago) and another kiosk at the Juming museum on the north coast.

But, it was not officially released there, I think it was just a small company that imported some in small quantities and distributed them to limited locations. Heard that there was some concern about officially releasing her CD's in Asia due to higher rate of piracy there.

So, I dont think very many people have heard Vienna's music in Taiwan. In my limited sampling at my company in Taipei, none had heard of her. But, I am trying to change that and spread her music to whoever will listen to me in Taipei. And maybe she'll come play there sometime.

I also heard more recently that there might be some related news coming sometime soon.......... so we should all stay tuned.

I'm sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but that's just incredible to me. Why isn't her music released and promoted in Taiwan? She can get radio play easily. The only thing I can find on her from Taiwan media is a few personal blog entries and an ETTV news item from 2005 comparing her to, GASP, Willie Hung! Even when they do talk about her it's always playing her only released Chinese song, Green Island Serenade. It's not like her music is strange to Taiwanese; Sarah McLaughlin/Tori Amos/Fiona Apple are all well known in Taiwan, Why isn't Vienna Teng!?

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:45 am

Vienna said one day she will peform in Asia. I am sure she will win over many new fans. Since her parents are from Taiwan I am confident she would be very popular over there.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:52 am

I hope she comes my way. :D
Always look on the bright side of life.

Behelliom
Cool Stranger

Postby Behelliom » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:04 pm

I see my Ann Arbor MI dot! :-D

parari
Warm Stranger

Postby parari » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:19 pm

My parents recently got a phone call from my aunt in Taiwan, who absolutely raved about how crazy mad popular Vienna is there. People in Taiwan even know which part of Taiwan her PARENTS are from; that's how obsessive Taiwanese people are about her.

AegisMode
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby AegisMode » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:08 pm

parari wrote:My parents recently got a phone call from my aunt in Taiwan, who absolutely raved about how crazy mad popular Vienna is there. People in Taiwan even know which part of Taiwan her PARENTS are from; that's how obsessive Taiwanese people are about her.

Well that's good to hear! When I return this coming Lunar New Years I will conduct interview with friends and family and survey all major record stores like Rose Records for her CDs and interrogate store employees. Hell I'll probably call some record company as well. I will get to the bottom of this! Her music is designed for the Chinese ears... in fact "Gravity" sounded so much like a Chinese song I can can literally write Chinese lyrics to it. Not just Taiwan; China, HK, Japan, and Korea should all go crazy for her. I can already see the obsessed Japanese fans lining up in the airport for her.

parari
Warm Stranger

Postby parari » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:17 am

AegisMode wrote:
Well that's good to hear! When I return this coming Lunar New Years I will conduct interview with friends and family and survey all major record stores like Rose Records for her CDs and interrogate store employees. Hell I'll probably call some record company as well. I will get to the bottom of this! Her music is designed for the Chinese ears... in fact "Gravity" sounded so much like a Chinese song I can can literally write Chinese lyrics to it. Not just Taiwan; China, HK, Japan, and Korea should all go crazy for her. I can already see the obsessed Japanese fans lining up in the airport for her.

Oh gosh. She'd get actual STALKER fans all over the place! Not that it's a bad thing, popularity-wise, but... heh. Obsessed Japanese fans... Japanese people are obsessive about being perfect about whatever they do (I have family that's Japanese, so I can say this), and that includes being a fanboy/fangirl. But whatever it takes to get her REALLY noticed, eh?

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi all!

Hope Eric will update it as I was wondering why ther is not dots from Germany and why Vienna Teng band managed to tour twice in Germany and not in France where there is one dot... :cry:
Hope 2008 will bring good news like new countries where Vienna and her band should tour : France, New Zealand, ...? :wink:
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

asteroid
Warm Stranger

Postby asteroid » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:06 pm

I am ashamed to confess that all those Vienna's songs I have were ripped from the Internet.

Here in Beijing I cannot find her CDs. I haven't been to many music stores but I frequent one in the most famous shopping area. Never found one.

But I knew many people here like her. We get the latest music from everywhere on the net. We know it is nasty, but we really can't afford to pay for all the food our ears need.

Now I would collect a legal CD when I come across a really talented musician. But to buy Vienna's CDs from USA, the ratio of the shipping cost to the CD's price just looks funny. I am currently a student and haven't much money. When I have enough money I think I'll support my "software engineer musician".
Vienna's volunteer agent on midomi.com

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:41 pm

asteroid wrote:I am ashamed to confess that all those Vienna's songs I have were ripped from the Internet.

Here in Beijing I cannot find her CDs. I haven't been to many music stores but I frequent one in the most famous shopping area. Never found one.

But I knew many people here like her. We get the latest music from everywhere on the net. We know it is nasty, but we really can't afford to pay for all the food our ears need.

Now I would collect a legal CD when I come across a really talented musician. But to buy Vienna's CDs from USA, the ratio of the shipping cost to the CD's price just looks funny. I am currently a student and haven't much money. When I have enough money I think I'll support my "software engineer musician".

Hi asteroid !
From my personal experience, here's my story :
I was craving for a Teresa Teng CD and I could not trust e-bay. I discovered some customers in a restaurant in Charlotte NC, put her Karaoke CD with Thai subtitles that I could not read and I even could not understand what she was singing.
I met an old Chinese gentleman, a friend of my uncle, who did manage to translate me the meaning of what she was singing, told me about her life and her unofficial end ...well, in a nutshell, I was attracted by her voice and most of the melodies of what had been played on the DVD player that day.
What happened less than one year after ? My nephew asked his grandma if Hans, his Chinese student friend could stay a while around Paris, before taking the plane for Canton in China. I talked to him about my favourites singers : Teresa Teng and Vienna Teng, showed him some youtube vids about them. During the summer, he came back to take again his exams and stay at my mum's and gave a gift to me : a 3 cd Teresa Teng collection !

See how you could meet splendid strangers in your life ! :>
I hope this kind of happy situation happens to you one day :)

Take care,
Walking Stranger from France
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

hansgaiden
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby hansgaiden » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:55 am

Coucou, c'est moi.

Well it's nothing, I should have bring you Teresa Teng's English collection too, maybe the next time I come :D

Anyway, I forgot the jade balls :P

Et j'ai toujours pas valide ma 3eme annee :evil: ,un jour je la reussirai

asteroid
Warm Stranger

Bonjour, Walking Stranger :)

Postby asteroid » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:37 am

I'm wondering why Vienna has this family name "Teng"

I guess Teng is her mother's name... or less likely, some great musician's name (I know nobody besides Teresa Teng)

Actually the "Teng" for Teresa Teng is spelt as "Deng" in modern chinese phonetic symbol... There are two major family names in China, "Deng(邓)" and "Teng(滕)", but English speakers can't tell the difference
Vienna's volunteer agent on midomi.com

Return to “The Cafe”