Vienna's international popularity?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Re: Bonjour, Walking Stranger :)

Postby Walking Stranger » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:53 pm

asteroid wrote:I'm wondering why Vienna has this family name "Teng"

I guess Teng is her mother's name... or less likely, some great musician's name (I know nobody besides Teresa Teng)

Actually the "Teng" for Teresa Teng is spelt as "Deng" in modern chinese phonetic symbol... There are two major family names in China, "Deng(邓)" and "Teng(滕)", but English speakers can't tell the difference

Thanks asteroid for the writing of Teng in Chinese...I learnt something with you.
Well, my personal opinion is whatever and whether a name is a given name by our parents, or one chosen by ourselves or a mistake from an administration, a name or firstname is like a carved shell : we do not know who the being inside it really is in her/his whole reality, as a diamond reflects a side that we would like to see or we could see but not all sides of a diamond are perceived in the whole totality at a time, unless we have fly eyes..,
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

hansgaiden
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby hansgaiden » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:05 am

Do anyone know the Chinese words of Vienna's name? Or actually does Vienna speak Chinese?I really dunt know that?

About Teresa Teng, by the simplified Chinese (used in the Mainland) it should be "Deng", the same word of Deng(邓) Xiao Ping. In Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and other societies where people use traditional Chinese it is Teng(鄧).

The writing is not the same, as well as the phonetic transcription into occidental alphebat.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:57 am

Little reminder, please don't discuss Vienna's real name here, as noted in this thread. Thanks :D

asteroid
Warm Stranger

Postby asteroid » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:53 pm

Here we can see her Chinese name on websites... but I'd better not tell it now
Just some abstract blessful meanings and is not directly related to music
Vienna's volunteer agent on midomi.com

hansgaiden
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby hansgaiden » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:29 am

All right.

I did not know that Vienna is her pseudo.

WintermoonSnow
Warm Stranger

Postby WintermoonSnow » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:33 pm

I was on e-bay the other day and discovered a Japanese release of Dreaming Through the Noise.

sview
Howdy, Stranger!

Vienna's music in Taiwan

Postby sview » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:12 am

Looks like an old thread, but I thought I'd just add a note...

I arrived in Taiwan last week, and visited the 誠品 Eslite Books near Taipei 101. I was browsing through the CD store, and I suddenly wondered if they carried Vienna's music. (Eslite Books is one of the major book sellers here, so they'd be most likely to have it).

They had just one album: "Inland Territory". They filed it in the "instrumental" section. (How's it categorized in the US?)

I feel like there's a ton of potential for Vienna's music to find an audience here. Aside from normal Chinese pop music, there's also a budding indie music scene.

Moreover, Asian American musicians like Joanna Wang -- I think she's from LA -- who have their own kind of spirit, and who sing a lot of songs in English, are also becoming pretty popular.

So yeah, hopefully someone from the record company can promote and build an audience for Vienna here in Taiwan, too! (Or expand their existing efforts).

It seems like a natural constituency, and I'm sure Taiwanese people are really proud of her. Most importantly, her music is just beautiful!

Return to “The Cafe”