Vienna's international popularity?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Vienna's international popularity?

Postby tontamoo » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:33 am

Does anyone have any idea as to how popular Ms. Teng is outside of the US? I know a few of her albums have been officially marketed internationally. By accident almost (one query led to another, more interesting articles), I was Googling her name in Chinese and looking up her albums in Chinese just a few hours ago, and I found numerous websites mentioning her. Many are also in anticipation of her upcoming album. It seems she has gained quite a good reputation there, specifically Taiwan and mainland China (perhaps? given many of the sites were in simplified Chinese). Can anyone from the management or the label can give us fans an idea of Ms. Teng's popularity? Numbers? Just curious. :)
Last edited by tontamoo on Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:40 am

That is an excellent question. Hopefully someone will post the answer.

I remember watching that film Nobody Knows upon your recommendation. I had always thought Ben had recommended it but he corrected me and pointed out it was you. It was an interesting movie, but very emotionally upsetting, especially with the younger daughter.

I often read your blog, but I hold to the United Federation of Planets doctrine of a policy of "Non-Interference". So I observe, but nothing more. I wish you success and happiness and hope someone answers the question you posted here.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:50 am

For what it's worth, here's viennateng.com's past week's geo overlay from Google Analytics:

- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:14 am

Where is the bubble for the guy in Southern Sudan, RW, or whatever his name is? What about Taiwan (Formosa?}? I see the big bubble for China, but the island of Taiwan looks like it is missing............
:wink:

Someone call Robert Stack of Unsolved Mysteries.............I forgot he's dead......
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Kenji
Warm Stranger

Postby Kenji » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:28 am

I can add a bit about Taiwan from my personal experience. I have been working in Taipei for about 6 months and may end up staying there for a couple of more years. I found her Waking Hour CD at a few places. There is a big bookstore chain called Eslite and they had a few of her Waking Hour CD's at their big store in Taipei, near the world's tallest 101 bldg. I bought a couple and gave it to Vienna and Paul too, since they had an insert in Chinese. I also found the Waking Hour CD at a few other places, a music kiosk at the CKS airport gift store (although not there the last time I was at CKS a couple of weeks ago) and another kiosk at the Juming museum on the north coast.

But, it was not officially released there, I think it was just a small company that imported some in small quantities and distributed them to limited locations. Heard that there was some concern about officially releasing her CD's in Asia due to higher rate of piracy there.

So, I dont think very many people have heard Vienna's music in Taiwan. In my limited sampling at my company in Taipei, none had heard of her. But, I am trying to change that and spread her music to whoever will listen to me in Taipei. And maybe she'll come play there sometime.

I also heard more recently that there might be some related news coming sometime soon.......... so we should all stay tuned.

Nummie
Warm Stranger

Postby Nummie » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:42 am

Strange there is no spot in the Netherlands at all.. for instance I visit the forum every single day!

maybe the ip-table is not accurate?

uk_fumbler
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby uk_fumbler » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:56 am

I'm one of those little dots in the UK, or at least part of one :)

But I guess those 2 little yellow dots aren't quite enough to get her to do a big UK/European tour just yet...

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:38 pm

Wow- neat analylitic, Eric. Thanks.

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Napalm
Cool Stranger

Postby Napalm » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:01 pm

You can blame me for those hits in Dallas. :)

Nummie
Warm Stranger

Postby Nummie » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:20 pm

I think the stats only count for the frontpage, when my bookmark links directly to this forum my dayly visits are not shown?

Jade
Warm Stranger

Postby Jade » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:01 pm

Oooh, I'm one of the UK dots too! :D

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:33 am

Nummie wrote:I think the stats only count for the frontpage, when my bookmark links directly to this forum my dayly visits are not shown?

Yeah, the forum is the only page not wired to "call home" to mother google ...

Also note Amy's response here.

Chair Choir
Cool Stranger

Postby Chair Choir » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:28 am

where is my dot? *looks for the tiny dot on south australia*

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Postby tontamoo » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:53 am

Thanks for the visual, Eric, very informative. Does that handy-dandy Google Analytics tell us anything else interesting?

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:46 am

tontamoo wrote:Thanks for the visual, Eric, very informative. Does that handy-dandy Google Analytics tell us anything else interesting?

Hmm. It has a lot of information, but most of it's oriented towards sites that are trying to meet revenue goals or whatever, so not particularly relevant for us. You can drill down to the city level on the visitor location thing, which is kind of cool. There are, for example, 10 visitors from Nanjing for every one from Suzhou in China. Does that count as interesting? I don't know ... =)

Just for kicks, here's a graphic (generated by analog) showing traffic since 2003 (when we switched hosting companies):

Return to “The Cafe”