Vienna lyrics sighting

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

James

Postby James » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:34 pm

Hi folks, just thought I'd take a minute to share a VT-related anecdote. I'm presently sitting in a Windows XP training class, paying attention to the instructor with approximately 5% or less of my total attention-paying ability (I was signed up for the class by default and will never ever need to know any of what has been taught so far). In between glances at the instructor, I have been reading a book I recently checked out from the library: "Outwitting Clutter" by Bill Adler, Jr. ...I manage to get all the way to page 31, wherein the author tackles the subject of making "difficult clutter decisions" and the potential for making mistakes - getting rid of something and later regretting it. The author makes the argument that the feelings and memories you've resurrected by the decision-making act itself can be of equal or greater value than the discarded item: "you may have lost a shirt, but you've gained memories and emotions that are possibly more dear".

Anyhow.... at the bottom of the page, I was pleasantly surprised to find the following quote:

"I retrieve the memories quickly as I can and add them to the portrait we all draw in our minds"
-Vienna Teng, songwriter (www.viennateng.com)

Being a long-time Vienna fan, I guess I just thought this was really cool. I realize it doesn't hold the same significance as turning on Letterman and being shocked to hear that Vienna is the musical guest (an experience many of us had last year at about this time), but it is in the same vein. An unsolicited endorsement in a completely unexpected place - to me this says volumes about the quality of Vienna's songwriting and its potential to become part of the cultural fabric...

Well, that's my story. By the way, I really like the book - it takes a very practical approach, and is written from the perspective of someone who has overcome their own real clutter problems (unlike most similar books that are written by inherently organized persons, full of strategies that usually don't work if you are not already an inherently organized person...) If you are interested the publisher is Lyons Press (www.lyonspress.com)

Norm
Warm Stranger

Postby Norm » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:41 am

James wrote: Anyhow.... at the bottom of the page, I was pleasantly surprised to find the following quote:

"I retrieve the memories quickly as I can and add them to the portrait we all draw in our minds"
-Vienna Teng, songwriter

Interesting story and interesting place to find a Vienna quote. Even more interesting was that this book came out before Waking Hour was re-released, which implies the author is a reallly long-time Vienna fan.

Norm

Return to “The Cafe”