Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Scot
Tengster

Vienna on the Discovery Channel

Postby Scot » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:19 pm

Was flipping through the channels at the hotel last week when I paused for
a moment on the Discovery channel - a program on crabbing off Alaska was
just ending and the closing theme music was Between!

Ran across the show several other times (even its ending) and didn't hear
the song again, so it must have been a one-off.

Anyone else catch this?

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:57 pm

Yes, I watched it and somebody else posted about it here a few months back as well. The show is called, "The Most Dangerous Catch" about the life on board a crabbing ship. I thought it was cool they played Vienna's music and it really was a good fit for the show believe it or not.

How about a Hawaii update??? Have you been to Pahoa? I need to see pictures of Pahoa :lol: The ones on the internet are fairly cool but there is just not enough. Vienna should do a concert there.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:34 pm

Pahoa - Yup- have been there, but more to explore. OK, I'll have to take
some pictures next time!:>
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:01 am

Thanks Scot, I know if you swing through there you will do that. You live in a place that is so much more interesting then the place where I live. Don't you think Vienna would get a kick out of playing in Pahoa? She should wear Hawaiin style dress with flowers in her hair for that one. It would be the perfect place. :lol:
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

kmack1959
Howdy, Stranger!

Re: Vienna on the Discovery Channel

Postby kmack1959 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:32 pm

Actually the song was featured 2 or 3 times in both season 1 and season 2 of "Deadliest Catch"

JonathanWu
Cool Stranger

Postby JonathanWu » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:01 am

I love this show, by the way. I get it on cable here, and it always makes me feel better about my job.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:50 am

JonathanWu wrote:I get it on cable here, and it always makes me feel better about my job.

Ha! Maybe I should get cable here, too! :>

s

JonathanWu
Cool Stranger

Postby JonathanWu » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:07 am

Actually, seeing a bunch of guys doing road construction last year at noon in the middle of a Tokyo summer had the same effect, so a walk around your neighborhood might save you the cost of a cable hookup.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:42 pm

I've got the tv on to The Deadliest Catch July 4 marathon as I work on a document at home on what's supposed to be a holiday, and, what do you know, there's Vienna singing a little snippet of Between. I knew about this, but not quite exactly where. This one was at the end of Episode 3 of Season 2, "On the Crab" (if you care). It was pretty effective as mood music but mostly buried in dialog and voice-over. I gather it was also used at least once in Season 1, possibly episode 8, which I've never seen, as I became a DC fan much later.

Which brings up Between. Looking back at Vienna's early releases, Between was on the EP and up front on the first release of WH, but then further down the list on the re-release. Seems like Between was the proto-Gravity, before there was Gravity, but unlike Gravity it's pretty much out of her repertoire now. Is that how it was, way back?

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:45 am

Between is one of the under-appreciated songs that doesn't get out much.

For example, I only have 46 instances of Between in my show archive, vs. say, 252 for gravity, and 150 for tower, but similar to only 29 daughters, 21 decade and ones, 18 shines, etc. So, between is actually doing pretty well, all in all! :)

s

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Scot wrote:Between is one of the under-appreciated songs that doesn't get out much.

For example, I only have 46 instances of Between in my show archive, vs. say, 252 for gravity, and 150 for tower, but similar to only 29 daughters, 21 decade and ones, 18 shines, etc. So, between is actually doing pretty well, all in all! :)

s

Scot, you are a true scientist. :lol:

I think this is a reflection of Vienna's stunning artistic growth in a short period. WH was was dominated by, for lack of a better term "classic VT romantic power ballads"--The Tower, Gravity, Between, Drought, at least. I love them, but I love her more mature output more. (It would be kinda cool to hear Drought live once, though. What's its number?)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:44 am

Fred wrote:(It would be kinda cool to hear Drought live once, though. What's its number?)

You could query this yourself (see link below), but the answer is: 26.

Interestingly, 9 shows have Drought and Daughter, and of these, 7 have the final under-appreciated, but much-loved, D, Decade and One (all in 2002 and 2003, btw). :)

s

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:09 am

You are definitely the forum statistician, Scot (not sure if I spelled that correctly)

Those are extremely interesting facts though. You have given me the idea of designing the board game of Vienna Teng trivial pursuit, you must supply me with the most difficult questions and answers for the game. I am pretty sure not even her closet friends or even family members have as accurate a record of her performances as you. Amazing!

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:52 am

Ang Mo wrote:You are definitely the forum statistician, Scot (not sure if I spelled that correctly)

Yup - s-c-o-t. Looks right to me! ;)

You have given me the idea of designing the board game of Vienna Teng trivial pursuit, you must supply me with the most difficult questions and answers for the game. I am pretty sure not even her closet friends or even family members have as accurate a record of her performances as you. Amazing!

There's certainly plenty of material here on the forum and in
TengBase. Might make for an interesting contest some time.....
s

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Scot wrote:You could query this yourself

Didn't realize this. Cool. I'll have to go play when I have a chance.

Return to “The Cafe”