The end of Car Culture hopefully

How to be a music lover and a good citizen? Discuss.

Moderator: Vienna

Ang Mo
Tengster

The end of Car Culture hopefully

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:17 am

--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

cmooreNC
Tengster

Re: The end of Car Culture hopefully

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Good trend, that will hopefully continue, but the point the article makes towards the end is discouraging --- while Americans may be driving less, other countries with growing economies (like China) are seeing an increase in driving. Environmentally everything matters on a world scale, so the overall net is that we may still be experiencing growth in driving on a global scale.

Thanks for sharing the link, Ang Mo.

As I think Vienna has herself commented in a Q&A session not too long ago, a carbon emissions tax is the way to go. I heard an NPR story just last week that agreed with that assessment, from an economist viewpoint. But even if we can get that far here in the U.S. (which is a very uphill battle), the trick will be getting other countries to join us.

Or is it already too late? There's a very interesting (and scary) story in the most recent Rolling Stone magazine about Miami and the theory that it will not survive 100 years into the future because of the rise in sea level. One can only assume that New Orleans, New York and many other coastal cities will experience similar problems. I just hope and pray that we (human kind) somehow can avoid getting there.....
Chris

Fred
Tengster

Re: The end of Car Culture hopefully

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:37 am

I read the Rolling Stone article earlier. Apparently New York will be saved by favorable geology, political realism, and tons of money. New Orleans is already below sea level but for levees, and so it will continue. Miami, and really all of South Florida, is in the cross-hairs because of extreme flatness over very wide areas, porous coral/limestone geology, and ideological denial of the problem at the leadership level. I know little of Miami, but to see my beloved Florida Keys disappear would be heartbreaking. They are barely above the water as it is, and lightly inhabited, with only something like 25,000 permanent residents. Ah, well...
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Return to “Green Caravan...and Beyond”