Dreamhost is Carbon Neutral

How to be a music lover and a good citizen? Discuss.

Moderator: Vienna

Eric
Getting Stranger

Dreamhost is Carbon Neutral

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:05 pm

Hey everyone:

Our hosting company just announced that they're Carbon Neutral.

Nifty, eh?

- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:10 pm

Yeah that is pretty nifty!
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

rtu
Warm Stranger

Postby rtu » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:19 am

that's awesome! and just in time for earth day....happy earth day everyone! even my parents are getting into it, buying earth day home kits. now all i have to do is find time to install it.

echeng
Hot Stranger

Postby echeng » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:43 pm

Let's hope they picked a good organization to go with. I've been trying to make the decision for Wetpixel Travel as well, and it's been difficult.

Here's an interesting article about a general audit of carbon credit spending:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/48e334ce-f355-1 ... 10621.html
Eric H Cheng | http://echeng.com
(Note: Cheng. Not Miller! ;-) )

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:05 am

I finally clicked the link, and read an article that pretty much aligned with what I've been thinking.

There's been a lot of artists and others focused on carbon credits and such, and I had to wonder how many of those really make a difference. I don't think the goal should be to break even, but on a overall basis to keep creating a smaller footprint. There are a lot of silly choices being made out there, with people replacing perfectly good and environmentally friendly items with "better" environmentally-friendly items, which may in the long run not be any more environmentally friendly due to the fact that the resources required to manufacture the item outweigh the environmental savings that result. (Sorry for the uber-long sentence.)

I hope that makes sense. I wish I could name an example, but none are coming to mind. I just see things on the local news and in the paper, and sometimes I have to shake my head at the stupidity on display.

Return to “Green Caravan...and Beyond”